Wagons for South Pelaw Junction

Noel

Re: Wagons for South Pelaw Junction

Postby Noel » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 am

John Donnelly wrote:It also appears that, as the wagon has 4 rather than 8 brake shoes that it should be an MXV rather than an MCV, why do wagons have to be so complicated

I'm afraid there is a further complication, as B554430-899 were built VB, and so had BR 8-shoe clasp brakes...
Noel

John Donnelly

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Work on the MCVs continues. Weathering is my normal method of oils for the bodies followed by a dusting of pastel chalk for the underframes and the bodies. To protect the pastel chalk, the wagons have also had a light spray of matt acrylic varnish but this does have the side effect of reducing the contrast of the pastels so some more work is still required.

As I've said before, none of them will ever be award winners but they'll fit just fine in to the overall picture.

John

John Donnelly

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:56 pm

I've had a go at 'working' vacuum pipes using Jim SWs method.

They work well but...

1. It is a real pain in the behind to line the thread up accurately with the end of the magnet.

2. It is very easy to get the tiny magnet the wrong way round so they repulse instead of attract.

3. They are a nightmare if your 3 links are steel :mrgreen:

John

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi John,

I love the weathering on those wagons. I have thought of using oils but haven't got around to it yet. Any chance of a few words on how you went about it?

I found the best way to avoid the magnets repelling each other was to make up the pipes in pairs, glued to the outer ends of two magnets. Do this on a couple of wagons and check which ends attract and mark them. The real thing had coloured patches, which I think denoted which year the pipes were next tested. The patches were blue and brown, probably denoting odd and even years. (This was how we knew when to test hose in the fire brigade) I therefore mark the attracting pipes with the same colour. If you do this with each wagon as you fit the pipes, you should find that like coloured patches will always attract. Hope this helps.

John.
The second best priest

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 am

You've been quiet for a while John. All OK?

Just to add to your minerals wagon debate, this phot has just appeared ont interweb.

Two Morton four shoe retro vac fitted 9ft w/b 16tonners, one with tiebar, one without. The nearest to camera with the "Coal16 VB" branding.
https://flic.kr/p/THh3Tn

P

John Donnelly

Postby John Donnelly » Sat May 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Nice photo Paul.

Thanks for asking, my IBS has flared up pretty badly in the last few weeks leaving me in a very much can't be bothered mood but I'm also undertaking some demolition of walls in the house so full scale modelling is taking precedence.

I guess I might see you on 4 June at the South Pelaw get together?

John

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat May 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:Two Morton four shoe retro vac fitted 9ft w/b 16tonners, one with tiebar, one without. The nearest to camera with the "Coal16 VB" branding.https://flic.kr/p/THh3Tn

Sorry, but the marking on the door of the one without a tiebar should show that it has two vacuum cylinders and a change over lever, which means it's an 8-shoe clasp brake vehicle. It's very difficult to be sure from the photo, but the visible brake lever seems consistent with this and there certainly seems to be less daylight under it than the 4-shoe Morton version.
Noel

John Donnelly

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:28 am

It has been almost seven months since I've done any 'real' modelling at all albeit I have been working on track plans in Templot but the other night, I got a wagon out and have finally finished the weathering on my SPA from the Cambrian kit:

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 pm

John Donnelly wrote:It has been almost seven months since I've done any 'real' modelling at all albeit I have been working on track plans in Templot but the other night, I got a wagon out and have finally finished the weathering on my SPA from the Cambrian kit:

John

That looks very nice John!

All the best,

Colin

Return to “John Donnelly”