Westinghouse MAS

Hardwicke

Westinghouse MAS

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:37 pm

Whilst very common, Westinghouse signals have rarely been modelled correctly. The Berko ones have the wrong bases. I'm not sure if the heads are to scale and the ladder is basic. On the other hand the ex Merit ones have a similar post and the base is ok but not perfect. The head is much smaller. Between the two makes, one could almost be HO and one S, if the other is truely 4mm.
The link to the signal dimensions on the forum no longer works. The Berko ones have different bases on different signals just to confuse matters. Some have the small base with four vanes (three aspect), yet the offset three aspect has a halfway house, a taller tubular flared base mysteriously with four vanes. Cutting the vanes off almost gives a representation of the 1960's ER. Westinghouse bases and posts.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Re: Westinghouse MAS

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:40 pm

IMG20240311160025.jpg

Offset three aspect
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:45 pm

IMG20240311160149.jpg

IMG20240311160154.jpg

Three aspect offset base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 pm

Ex Merit base; three aspect with feather (non working)
IMG20240311160344.jpg

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:54 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Whilst very common, Westinghouse signals have rarely been modelled correctly. The Berko ones have the wrong bases. I'm not sure if the heads are to scale ....

I'm not sure that the Eckon / Berko heads are to scale. They had to be made slightly overscale to contain the original grain of wheat bulbs, but when those eventually gave way to LEDs, the original tooling was still used.

Westinghouse used to publish an online pamphlet showing the dimensions of their modern-day heads, but this seems to have been removed.

Note that the Dorman LED 4-aspect "searchlight"-style heads seem to be based on the dimensions of the old 3-aspect MAS head, but with the middle aspect missing.

The attached diagram might be of assistance, though....

124802036_sig13001(7).jpg
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:27 am

The Train Tech ones by Gaugmaster look OK: https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/train ... stant.html

regards

Alan

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:31 pm

Alan Turner wrote:The Train Tech ones by Gaugmaster look OK: https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/train ... stant.html

Sighting boards are much too big as supplied.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm

Horsetan wrote:
Hardwicke wrote:
Westinghouse used to publish an online pamphlet showing the dimensions of their modern-day heads, but this seems to have been removed.

Note that the Dorman LED 4-aspect "searchlight"-style heads seem to be based on the dimensions of the old 3-aspect MAS head, but with the middle aspect missing.

The attached diagram might be of assistance, though....

124802036_sig13001(7).jpg

Thanks thats just what I needed.
I thought the signal (T9) was a three aspect, but today I discovered it's four. I have a Bachmann four aspect that I bought when GeeDee Model Shop, Nottingham closed before down, which looks much more accurate. I'll keep the Berko post and offset platform, with the new head and altered tubular casting on the Merit base.
It's the first item for the Jubilee challenge layout unless you count a few items of stock.

Return to “Colour Light Signals”