Signal posts required

jim s-w

Signal posts required

Postby jim s-w » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:19 am

Hi All

If I could ask you to spare a moment and look at - http://www.roscalen.com/signals/BirminghamNS/index.htm

Is there a source for this style hexagonal tapered post that you know of? It needs to be hollow. If not then I need to get etching again.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Signal posts required

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:06 pm

I would be very surprised if anyone has a scale version of those, and since you want hollow you presumably want them to work.
If you want fully working signals, presumably in modified form for your date, that's an awful lot of wires to fit down the post, which is going to give a problem with scale sizes. Making a PCB to mount all the SMD LEDs on should not be so bad, but connecting to it will be something else, you really need to squeeze a control chip into the head, perhaps a double sided board with an SMD chip on the back.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Keith

The head is quite big. My other thought is to etch the post as a 'star' that folds up/ Should mean the post is as open as its going to get!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello Jim,

Certainly a tricky one. If you etched the post, the folds would have to be miniscule and once folded would result in a tiny amount of room inside at the head of the post. Would it be possible to carefully file some plastic tube to shape (the taper would be hard though)? Or what about scribed and folded paper, which could then be painted and varnished to strengthen the structure? The thinness of the paper would give you more room inside for the wires. Then a light weight plastic card MAS head and LED's. I hope the latter doesn't seem laughable?!

Cheers
Simon

PS - have you hunted through some of the numerous HO continental colour light signal suppliers for a suitable post?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:38 pm

The head is quite big.

Big is relative, ;) there is also a lot in it. But it is the post that is the problem.

2 off searchlights, 4 wires minimum,
4 off Route indicators, another 4
2 off RTD lights, another 2
2 off shunt sigs, another 2
and for those with routes to the Limit of shunts more stencil indicators, 2 more wires
Then the common return, but you can use the post for that.
But you are still talking 14 wires!
Hence I suggest a PIC so you can just send it 5V and serial data, 3 or 4 wires including the post.
Perhaps you should start with the head and worry about the post later.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi Keith

The Chip stuff is a bit over my head TBH - Lost now!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:40 pm

I presume my idea fell on stoney ground?

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:22 am

Not at all. But I can do an etch that is similar thickness to paper so I may as well do that. Plus it would make fixing the other things to it easier too

all ideas welcome

jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:01 pm

I thought enamelled wire might fit the bill. Each wire need not exceed 0.5mm dia., and you'd only scrape off the enamel to expose the ends when soldering anyway.

Busch have used this type of wire very successfully in their DB multi-aspect signals, e.g. their "exit road + distant" which carry at least 10 lights (albeit their posts are rather different), as have Viessmann and Weinert.

The same sort of wire is also used by a German "cottage industry" firm which makes some quite exquisite 1:87 scale German traffic lights (which are so close to scale that they are used widely in Hamburg's MiniaturWunderland).
That would be an ecumenical matter.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:27 pm

This information was just provided by Chris White to a similar question on the MERG forum, much thinner wire.
Keith
I've used this stuff http://uk.farnell.com/roadrunner/rrw-a- ... tt=5017245 with the wires run down the inside of, in my case, a signal gantry and secured with a light run of super glue. Once painted they're hard to spot. Oh by the way, I'm working in OO (4mm/ft) and in case you're wondering there are seven cores there.
Wires.jpg.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Yes, that's pretty much the same stuff that Busch has been using in its DB signals for years.

Slightly thinner wire here from same source.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

beast66606

Postby beast66606 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Jim - ask "our Tony" on the WFRM group

Return to “Colour Light Signals”