From the archive

Hardwicke

From the archive

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:33 pm

I found the first building I scratchbuilt the other week. Although the nameboard says "Clayton West" it is clearly a Midland box. I didn't understand the roof at the time hence the design. It would have been easier to build it correctly. I was probably aged about 9-11 at the time.

IMG_6430.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Re: From the archive

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Just to show how much I better I got at modelling here are a few of Forge Mill Sidings.
IMG_13S4um 07 FMS.jpg

IMG_12S4um 07 FMS.jpg

forge mill open wagons .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 am

Hardwicke wrote:I found the first building I scratchbuilt the other week. Although the nameboard says "Clayton West" it is clearly a Midland box. I didn't understand the roof at the time hence the design. It would have been easier to build it correctly. I was probably aged about 9-11 at the time.

Inspired by Hardwicke's posting of that very youthful build, I thought that I would amuse the crowd by adding one of my own. When I visited my parents last Christmas, they gave me a shoe box containing a load of modelling bits that I had left behind when I went away to university.

IMG_7861.JPG

In amongst all of the junk (which you can evidently see!) was this little building:

IMG_7901.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

It is a GWR weighbridge hut. I probably took the plans from one of Chris Leigh's books, or possibly something in Paul Karau's Branch Line Terminii.

Either way, it's evident when it was built - at the time of Bob Barlow's Magnum Opus of the East Suffolk Light maltings building, as inspiringly documented in Model Railways.

The bricks on the building are genuine computer chads, produced laboriously from a card punch that sat at the back of our O-Level Computer Studies classroom at school. They were then painted with watercolours.

I'm still very pleased with the result, although the time that it took to build meant that I never, ever attempted anything with chads again!

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 am

In response to a friend posting some pictures of a model railway I took these to send to her.

20210418_232023.jpg

20210418_232120.jpg

20210418_232238.jpg

20210418_232205.jpg

20210418_232007.jpg

20210418_232014.jpg

20210418_231935.jpg

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 pm

I've got several (ie - lots!) of old shoe boxes etc. FULL of bits and pieces from many years collecting (hoarding) stuff that I won't/can't throw away. I do sometimes ahve a trawl through them when I'm looking for 'inspiration', especially when building something scenic that is freelance and 'industrial'. Among all this eclectic compilation of esoteric items are several from my earliest days of (so-called) modelling going back to the late 50's and early 60's. Here is a small selection -

Old Memories.A.jpg

Airfix Dockside crane, Master Models Hut and Shelter (supposed to be London Transport complete with Underground maps on the walls), Kitmaster Italian Tank and half an Austerity Tank (lettered for my 'Mid Somerset Railway'), TriAng open wagon repainted and hand lettered for a 'C & M Coal Merchants' (I was a BIG fan of the Craig and Mertonford layout), a Peco Wonderful Salt Wagon (bought in Model and Tool Supplies Raynes Park), a length of Peco Spiked Track sleeper base, the end of an Airfix Church (which was possibly 'modified' into a loco shed) and the end of an Airfix Railbus painted in GWR Chocolate and Cream (anything that moved was painted GWR livery!).

I like to think my efforts have improved over the years..................... ;)

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 pm

Found and partly repaired my Midland Weighbridge Office. Needs a bit of glue and paint to complete and the downpipe re-attaching.
The last one on the Mansfield Worksop branch was demolished a few years ago after a company took over Shirebrook depot. Why they did so I've no idea as it wasn't in the way.
IMG20230722200346.jpg

IMG20230722200333.jpg

IMG20230722200313.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:47 am

The building is 30 thou plastikard, covered with polyfiller with a bit of PVA mixed in. I think I used dilute enamels originally.

Return to “Hardwicke”