From the archive

Hardwicke

From the archive

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:33 pm

I found the first building I scratchbuilt the other week. Although the nameboard says "Clayton West" it is clearly a Midland box. I didn't understand the roof at the time hence the design. It would have been easier to build it correctly. I was probably aged about 9-11 at the time.

IMG_6430.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Re: From the archive

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Just to show how much I better I got at modelling here are a few of Forge Mill Sidings.
IMG_13S4um 07 FMS.jpg
Forge Mill Sidings. A second hand Ratio van containing a High Level Fly Shunter. I know the coupling is missing. The buildings behind were demolished soon after the layout was built. The wagon turntable was badly damaged by the contractors whilst the council dilly dallied about how to save it. Some of it survives dumped at Swanwick Junction on the Midland Railway Butterley unless the local metal thieves have got it.

IMG_12S4um 07 FMS.jpg
An Austerity tank negotiates the line dropping down to the mill.

forge mill open wagons .jpg
A couple of open wagons I built some years ago, displayed on Forge Mill Sidings. The plain track seen was supplied by Bernard Weller of Exactoscale and built and laid the day before one Nottingham Exhibition. The building in the distance is modelled on Jessop and Sons, Cutlery Works on Matilda Street, Sheffield. The smaller building to the left is Sandiacre and Stapleford coal office.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Flymo748

Re: From the archive

Postby Flymo748 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 am

Hardwicke wrote:I found the first building I scratchbuilt the other week. Although the nameboard says "Clayton West" it is clearly a Midland box. I didn't understand the roof at the time hence the design. It would have been easier to build it correctly. I was probably aged about 9-11 at the time.

Inspired by Hardwicke's posting of that very youthful build, I thought that I would amuse the crowd by adding one of my own. When I visited my parents last Christmas, they gave me a shoe box containing a load of modelling bits that I had left behind when I went away to university.

IMG_7861.JPG

In amongst all of the junk (which you can evidently see!) was this little building:

IMG_7901.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

It is a GWR weighbridge hut. I probably took the plans from one of Chris Leigh's books, or possibly something in Paul Karau's Branch Line Terminii.

Either way, it's evident when it was built - at the time of Bob Barlow's Magnum Opus of the East Suffolk Light maltings building, as inspiringly documented in Model Railways.

The bricks on the building are genuine computer chads, produced laboriously from a card punch that sat at the back of our O-Level Computer Studies classroom at school. They were then painted with watercolours.

I'm still very pleased with the result, although the time that it took to build meant that I never, ever attempted anything with chads again!

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Hardwick”