LNER concrete platelayers hut

Hardwicke

LNER concrete platelayers hut

Postby Hardwicke » Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I bought a Roxey LNER hut ages ago at Scalefour South West and another 3 recently second-hand. They seemed like nice models. Originally I wanted to convert one to an LMS one being similar. There is one still standing at Hucknall. With the SYR/GCR/LNER/BR(ER) model: Kirkcliffe I had a need for an LNER one and indeed on my first attempt to reach the real location it is based on, the frame of one is still standing. No roof or sides mind you! There is another larger one between Checkerhouse/Chequerhouse and Retford and I was able to obtain a photo of it as I sped past one day on a local train (class 144 or 142).
HUT IMG_6328.jpg

I have two small Roxey ones and a larger one that was made partly from two kits. It was however badly built with the roof cut in the wrong place, leaving a gap in the eaves. The photo also showed that rather than having two concrete sections between the windows it should only have one (I've seen a photo of one in BRJ at Saxmundham with no section, so perhaps anything goes).

I've been full of cold for a week and now have additionally hurt my back with all heavy physical work on hold now, so the hut was looked at and dismantled - easy as it was lightly glued. After checking the photos I cut one panel from the front and one from the back and removed the end of one of the roof panels. The other having been removed before I obtained it. The first
photo shows cutting one of the panels and the second the front panel with window and roof, before I altered it (view of the interior of the roof)
HUT IMG_6696.jpg
HUT IMG_6693.jpg

I also stripped the paint as it was sprayed a dusty black all over. I've never seen one black. They are invariably concrete. I painted it briefly before I got to work chopping it, but then stripped it, so at the moment it is back to bare metal.
I saw more huts as I travelled to Norwich. It was pleasant to count the time intervals between remaining hits on the Thetford line the other week too. They are roughly one mile apart and many remain. They seemed to be invariably the smaller single window design. Sadly the signal boxes East of Thetford have gone now, along with the telegraph posts : one of the last lines to have them into this century. The trains still run as slowly as ever though.
I've given it a dry run assembly and am pleased with the progress.
HUT IMG_6697.jpg

I'm now at the stage of reassembling it but the lack of my Resistance Soldering Iron is hampering things. The cheap temperature controlled iron - (Maplins) has a very poor bit on it and I can't find the spares. It is simply useless for modelling. Back to the SRB type D perhaps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Re: LNER concrete platelayers hut

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Any tips on soldering large slabs of whitemetal together? Tack solder then fill? Clamps? Anything?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Any tips on soldering large slabs of whitemetal together? Tack solder then fill? Clamps? Anything?

Lots of *power* although not lots of heat i.e. a 50W iron at 180 degrees is infinitely better than a 20W iron at 375 degrees.

Whitemetal tarnishes really quickly, so use a fibreglass brush or whatever your poison is immediately before soldering.

Lots of flux, to help with the cleaning and the flow of the solder.

Yes, a couple of tacks first let you see if the angles are correct, or if you have any gaps anywhere.

Clamps, or similar if you have some. A couple of pieces of 2x1 timber nailed into a board at 90 degrees to each other is crude but surprisingly useful. Failing that, bluetac holding the bits together can work. It's a trick I use quite a bit.

Someone else will be along in a minute with something I've forgotten...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Use a temperature-controlled iron set at 100° above the melting point of the solder (so about 180° is fine) and, with a large mass of white metal to solder, use a big bit, the bigger the better. Then, as you suggest, tack solder first until the whole thing is together - and right - and then fill each seam in turn.

If you are soldering fine components in white metal after completing the main structure you may find it appropriate to reduce the iron temperature and you may well need to use a finer bit.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Any tips on soldering large slabs of whitemetal together? Tack solder then fill? Clamps? Anything?

In my opinion well worth having a quick look at Tony Wrights locomotive kit building parts one and two. In the videos amongst other things he is soldering together a South Eastern Fine Cast 61xx and a DJH A2 Pacific ....both in white metal. Some good demonstrations of technique and how to get the low melt solder to flow in to fill inaccurate joints etc.

See here...

If only the white metal soldering is of interest .... 1hr 25mins is a good place to start. :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Hardwicke”