Yorkshire Engine DE2

Hardwicke

Yorkshire Engine DE2

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:13 pm

I picked this up a few weeks ago. I should have been an easy job to change the wheels had the builder done it right in the first place. There was too much slop in the bearings so they had to come out. This caused the wheels to bind and lose the quartering. The exhaust grill was incorrectly positioned and some minor parts missing. These have now been replaced and moved. I removed the bearings and added a new one from High Level. On adding the second bearing to the fixed axle it was apparent that the builder had removed part of the frame on one side to add a hornblock but then changed their mind and soldered the frame back in.
This fell out as the heat was applied.
So I have a choice. Do I add a fixed hornblock (old Perseverence one I have spare somewhere), re-fix the part of the frame back in, or go for a new set of hornblocks - fixed CSB, or sprung?

YE DE2IMG_6450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hardwicke on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Philip Hall

Re: Yorkshire Engine DE2

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Not clear whether you already have a compensated axle, or only fixed ones? Whatever, assuming compensation, on the MJT hornblock etch there is one fixed axle plate, merely a plate the size of a hornblock with a hole in it for a fixed bearing. You could make one up from scratch of course. Solder this in for the fixed axle bearing which has fallen out. Then cut out and fit hornblocks/bearings the other end in the usual way, jigged from the coupling rods. You could build it rigid, but compensation for a small 0-4-0 is much better.

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Hardwick wrote:So I have a choice. Do I add a fixed hornblock (old Perseverence one I have spare somewhere), re-fix the part of the frame back in, or go for a new set of hornblocks - fixed CSB, or sprung?

If it helps, I really don't think it sensible to attempt to retrofit CSB's to an assembled chassis.

Will

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks. Chris of High Level fame suggested a simple pivot. I'm waiting to find the rigid hornblock at the moment and a spare evening to fit it. I've also got the chassis rolling smoothly on the Husky but it will have to wait for new crank pin bushes as the builder forgot to put them on all of the wheels. With such progress and the 04 Diesel waiting in the wings I might get 3 diesels built in the next couple of months and a new Austerity tank.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 am

Does anyone have the instructions for the Judith Edge DE2 or know what these are soldered over the frames? I need to cut the hornblock guides out or have the motor driving from the other end than it was (might be easier).

DE2 axlehole. IMG_7570.jpg

DE2 axle hole IMG_7571.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ginger61

Postby ginger61 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi, By the looks of it they are the compensation units that are pivoted from the rear of the jackshaft (on the o6) and the axle bush bush is fitted to the rocker arm.
Hope that helps in someway,
Cheers Nick.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:54 am

That's what I suspected. I guess they are meant to be a cosmetic representation of the real thing. I might put the gearbox at the other end then. I'll only need to cut out one hornblock now.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:29 am

Some of you may have seen the progress of the DE2 at Wakefield, The chassis has been rebuilt though the brakes are in the wrong position now and the rocking bar has not soldered firmly. But the horn blocks are back in and working.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

The DE2 rebuild continues. It was at the DEFine show, where it became very apparent that the new bearings needed reaming. This has been done now. Brake blocks and pick ups and a grub screw to replace. It's painted very shabby blue now.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

After finding the missing grubscrew for the gear wheel, I can concentrate on adding pickups and the brakes now.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Whoever had built the model had missed off the front and rear main lights. Probably mistook for a washer. Read the instructions ! So the loco needed some headlights. I used some brass tubing to the correct diameter. How to make clean regular cuts though? A job for the lathe. My Myford ML10 had hardly been used. I ran it at the slowest speed I can and carefully cut a small length off to fit in the chuck. After a slight cut with a lathe tool I used a small hacksaw to slowly part off about 1.5 -2mm. This was then carefully thinned with a file by hand.
20180222_220444_Film1.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Pick-ups from phosphor bronze using the "back scraper" technique have been produced. I find this far less trouble than wire, if I can fit them.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 pm

20180307_154755_Film1.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

20180307_155037_Film1.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 am

I soldered the pick-ups on late last night. Testing today.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Lots of short circuits despite care. Going to remove one set of pick-ups and rebuild them.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am

A chat with Michael Edge after I found I had lost one set of brakes ! It should have clasp brakes, with the attachment to the brake cylinders linked to the brake block on the rear side of each wheel. Another item to replace. I also rebuilt the pick ups and refurbished the motor over the weekend of the Nottingham East Midlands show. The pick ups will be trimmed to size soon. It still struggles considerably but might need the axlebox clearances opening up.
This is the true value of shows. Networks, ideas, advice, trade, action.
Last edited by Hardwicke on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:40 am

I'd like to thank Branchlines for their assistance with the motor. I've never refurbished a Mashima and having done so now (new spings, bushes and connectors), I now have another feather in my cap.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Now that I can relax after the Nottingham exhibition, I checked the clearances on the fixed axlebox and sure enough it was far too tight. Reamed out now. Still a bit jerky but it's running. First time in 4 years and first time ever in P4.
Last edited by Hardwicke on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

20180321_145045_Film3.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:56 pm

20180321_145133_Film3.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:00 am

Hardwicke wrote:Now that I can relax after the Nottingham exhibition, I checked the clearances on the fixed axlebox and sure enough it was far too tight. Reamed out now. Still a bit jerky but it's running. First time in 4 years and first time ever in P4.

It's that sort of thing which gives you a real sense of satisfaction :-)

Do you have a rolling road at home that you can put it on for some running sessions so that it can loosen up further? I find that running in does make a real difference to the locomotives that I build. I look forward to the shows when I can stick something on a test track and see it go round and visibly loosen up.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 pm

I might have one somewhere. Not sure where though.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I've lashed up an H&M Duette and had the DE2 running. Still not perfect but it's running.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 pm

The DE2 was trialled at the GCR (N) Ruddington show in early summer. It was quite tight running but after some high speed sprints (when there were no visitors) it settled down. Over the summer though, the worn gear wheel has shifted again and shown it is ready for the scrap heap. I will contact Branchlines for a new one. I was delighted to see prototype DE2 "Rotherham" at Peak Rail recently, unfortunately, I had to leave for work that day, after some 12" to the foot activities.

Return to “Hardwicke”