Yorkshire Engine DE2

Hardwicke

Re: Yorkshire Engine DE2

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Body front DSC_7332.jpg

Body side looking forward DSC_7401.jpg

Bodyside doors front end DSC_7333.jpg

Cab rear DSC_7368.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:25 pm

DE2 Rowsley DSC_7419.jpg

frame DSC_7347.jpg

Front buffer beam DSC_7418.jpg

Front buffer DSC_7330.jpg

Front buffer DSC_7331.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Front step and sand pipe DSC_7351.jpg

Front step and sandbox DSC_7339.jpg

front step DSC_7352.jpg

Front step DSC_7416.jpg

Front wheel brake cylinder and frame support DSC_7344.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:37 pm

front step DSC_7352.jpg

Front step DSC_7416.jpg

Front wheel brake cylinder and frame support DSC_7344.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 pm

Horn and cab front DSC_7404.jpg

Horn DSC_7410.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:44 pm

lead wheel front brake attachnebt DSC_7341.jpg

lead wheel front brake DSC_7338.jpg

Lead wheel trailing brake DSC_7340.jpg

lead wheel trailing brake DSC_7348.jpg

lead wheel trailing brake DSC_7349.jpg

lead wheel trailing brake link DSC_7348.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:50 pm

Leading wheel DSC_7335.jpg

Leading wheel DSC_7336.jpg

Rear trailing brake DSC_7358.jpg

rear wheel leading brake DSC_7354.jpg

Rear wheel leading brake DSC_7355.jpg

sping tensioner lead wheel trailing brake .jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:53 pm

Trailing wheel DSC_7413.jpg

trailing wheel rear brake and step DSC_7365.jpg

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 pm

davebradwell wrote: the right size drill must be quicker - if you want a 0.7 hole just drill one rather than drilling a smaller hole and enlarging it a bit at a time...

It might be argued that I carry this to extreme lengths by having drills from 0.3mm to 1 mm and beyond in 0.1mm steps already mounted in pin vices and Archimedean drills. And a second set on a separate bench where I do most of my metalwork. I have intermediate sizes as well as sets of broaches, some marked with permanent marker at a precise dimension I often use.

It saves me a huge amount of time not having to root around for a drill size and a pin vice. Of course, I didn’t buy all twenty - odd of them at once; I just seemed to accumulate them in old tool shops and the collection and method of working just evolved.

I also keep a fair old stock of spare drills and buy the commonly used (and broken!) in decent quantities. This causes its own problem when I forget to replenish them. Not forgetting the increased prices!

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:49 am

Philip Hall wrote:
davebradwell wrote: the right size drill must be quicker - if you want a 0.7 hole just drill one rather than drilling a smaller hole and enlarging it a bit at a time...

It might be argued that I carry this to extreme lengths by having drills from 0.3mm to 1 mm and beyond in 0.1mm steps already mounted in pin vices and Archimedean drills. And a second set on a separate bench where I do most of my metalwork. I have intermediate sizes as well as sets of broaches, some marked with permanent marker at a precise dimension I often use.

It saves me a huge amount of time not having to root around for a drill size and a pin vice. Of course, I didn’t buy all twenty - odd of them at once; I just seemed to accumulate them in old tool shops and the collection and method of working just evolved.

I also keep a fair old stock of spare drills and buy the commonly used (and broken!) in decent quantities. This causes its own problem when I forget to replenish them. Not forgetting the increased prices!

Philip

Depends on who your addressing, for a professional builder with a nice big workshop I'm sure this makes seance, but me building for my own amusement, given the size of the space I work off, I would have difficulty to find space for the model among all the tools. I'm not the tidiest of workers which doesn't help but I doubt I am alone in being space constrained. To illustrate this I have started a thread called "My Workbench" elsewhere so you can see what I mean and perhaps share your environment with the rest if us.

As it happens I do keep one pin chuck with a 0.5mm drill in it more or less permanently. That with a set of broaches gives me most of the holes I need and still leaves me room to work.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:10 am

Will L wrote:I doubt I am alone in being space constrained. To illustrate this I have started a thread called "My Workbench" elsewhere so you can see what I mean and perhaps share your environment with the rest if us.

Was it Iain Rice who mentioned most workspaces are about 6 inches square?

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:13 am

I do try and keep my drill bits either in a box (some are in a vintage wooden tube) or in a circular holder with a lid (it doesn't fit in the box). I started buying spare ones back in the 80's from Chris Crawley when he moved to Goxhill Station. I'd cycle over from Hull.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:15 am

The one I broke the other day had a temporary fix of re-sharpening it at the broken end. Not perfectly sharp but enough to do the job. I think I learnt the technique from MRN, MRJ or an Iain Rice associated article.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Hardwicke wrote:
Will L wrote:I doubt I am alone in being space constrained. To illustrate this I have started a thread called "My Workbench" elsewhere so you can see what I mean and perhaps share your environment with the rest if us.

Was it Iain Rice who mentioned most workspaces are about 6 inches square?

Think he did and there is a lot of truth in it, but what i'm getting at is more to do with the hinterland around it.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Will L wrote:
Philip Hall wrote:

I
Depends on who your addressing, for a professional builder with a nice big workshop I'm sure this makes sense, but me building for my own amusement, given the size of the space I work off, I would have difficulty to find space for the model among all the tools. I'm not the tidiest of workers which doesn't help but I doubt I am alone in being space constrained. To illustrate this I have started a thread called "My Workbench" elsewhere so you can see what I mean and perhaps share your environment with the rest if us.

As it happens I do keep one pin chuck with a 0.5mm drill in it more or less permanently. That with a set of broaches gives me most of the holes I need and still leaves me room to work.

I quite agree, Will, although I've worked this way for almost thirty years, long before I began building trains as an extra income. It started when I found a local furniture restorer who also had a small table of second hand tools, and I began to collect them. There's no way I need all these tools, it's just been nice. I also (for a mild medical reason) prefer to keep metal working away from plastic/wood etc. and this approach helps. As the years have passed and I acquired all my father's old tools (he was a coachbuilder by trade) I have the same extensive collection of household tools, most of which I rarely use...

I'll post something on your workbench thread in a few moments. Actually I already did, but pressed the wrong button when editing a photo and it all disappeared, so will need to start again.

Philip

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 pm

When I was considering moving my studio from parsons Cross to central Sheffield a few years ago one of the metal workers/jewellers had a lovely table made for them in return for some jewellery they made for a furniture maker. Basically a table with sides on it, with places to store all your files, snips, drills, materials, etc. and a semi circular cut out in the middle of the table that you sat at. Pinned to this was a canvas sheet so any bits you dropped (we all do) were caught in it. it was brilliant an beautiful.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:56 pm

Hardwicke wrote:When I was considering moving my studio from parsons Cross to central Sheffield a few years ago one of the metal workers/jewellers had a lovely table made for them in return for some jewellery they made for a furniture maker. Basically a table with sides on it, with places to store all your files, snips, drills, materials, etc. and a semi circular cut out in the middle of the table that you sat at. Pinned to this was a canvas sheet so any bits you dropped (we all do) were caught in it. it was brilliant an beautiful.

A classic Jewellers workbench. I sometimes feel that my methods have more in common with the average jeweller than some model engineers.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:43 am

Will L wrote:A classic Jewellers workbench. I sometimes feel that my methods have more in common with the average jeweller than some model engineers.

I've always gently lusted after after a proper jeweller's bench, but they come at a fearsome price:

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Durston-Jewellers-Hardwood---------Workbench,-Superior-prcode-999-7168

Obviously not expensive if that is your trade, but it would soon end up just looking like my twenty quid converted bureau, as I wrote about in a past copy of the News:

Bureau 08.JPG

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 pm

Add soldering tools, cutting mats, lamp, magnifiers, test track, brazing area, etc., but this was the gerneral idea. It would be easier to draw with my graphic pad instead of a mouse...

jewellers bench-1.jpg

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:41 pm

An interesting feature of the jewellers' bench is it's height - is it really 960 high? Certainly when working on my normal office table at 750mm I get shoulder ache so years ago put an offcut of hardboard (ex etched brass delivery packing) on a bed of box files and it's all still there as it cured my problem. Could find a lower chair, of course!

DaveB

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:46 pm

davebradwell wrote:An interesting feature of the jewellers' bench is it's height - is it really 960 high? Certainly when working on my normal office table at 750mm I get shoulder ache so years ago put an offcut of hardboard (ex etched brass delivery packing) on a bed of box files and it's all still there as it cured my problem. Could find a lower chair, of course!

DaveB

Dave,

It does look as though that is the height that jewellers really do work at. It's really much looking at eyelevel at the piece they are working on, whereas we modellers tend to look down on our models. Here's a link to a stock photo of a jeweller at a bench:

https://www.alamy.com/senior-jewelry-maker-cutting-metal-with-a-band-saw-on-workbench-professional-jeweler-crafting-a-ring-in-her-workshop-image217102124.html

I am not going to change my workbench in the near future, just to make it look smarter. But it doesn't stop me going down the rabbit hole of looking at what is available. And I found this. The equivalent of the supercar and Bentley combined into one for the discerning jeweller. Scroll down...

https://www.benchalist.com/en/goldsmith-workbenches

Absolutely falls into the price category of "if you need to ask, you can't afford it" ;-)

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

pete_mcfarlane

Postby pete_mcfarlane » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:11 pm

Paul Willis wrote:It does look as though that is the height that jewellers really do work at. It's really much looking at eyelevel at the piece they are working on, whereas we modellers tend to look down on our models.

Back when people used to work in offices (13 months ago, but it feels like about 10 years) we had some very nice sit/stand desks. Working standing up was briefly a thing for businesses with 'cool' offices, and these things had a little electric motor that raised and lowered the desk height to suit. The beauty was that you could adjust it to a comfortable height when sitting down, which is great if you are a bit on the tall side.

Anyway, Ikea do some cheapish (compared to the ones we had) clones of these. I wonder if one of these is an option for a workbench, as you could adjust the height to suit the job you are currently doing. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/rooms/home-o ... ub9712cc91

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 am

We have adjustable tables at work. Before they introduced them, I got RSI mainly due to air conditioning blowing on my neck for 9 hours and non adjustable CRT computer screens. Response back then (18 years ago) was "make a wooden box and stick the computer on it, or use a telephone directory".... ! I got a few months of back massages out of it, gel wrist rests and a "vertical mouse", but it didn't go away until I was off sick long term for over 6 months and was able to fully rest my arm and shoulder. When we move offices next year I might ask what's happening with the tables. A quick jigsaw should make a nice cut out...

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am

Back to the loco. The grill above the front top bonnet fell off yesterday and I can't find any pictures which way round it should go. The "Black Country" layout one doesn't show up in photos I've found and Jim Smith-Wright's looks like a plate ( am I right there Jim?). All the pictures I have of the locos are usually at ground level or in the distance and the one at Rowsley is completely different in having the exhaust at that end. Can anyone tell me which way round it goes? Grills across the loco or along?
Last edited by Hardwicke on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:50 am

Paul Willis wrote:[

I am not going to change my workbench in the near future, just to make it look smarter. But it doesn't stop me going down the rabbit hole of looking at what is available. And I found this. The equivalent of the supercar and Bentley combined into one for the discerning jeweller. Scroll down...

https://www.benchalist.com/en/goldsmith-workbenches

Absolutely falls into the price category of "if you need to ask, you can't afford it" ;-)

Cheers
Paul

Nice. The one at Sheffield was unique. The table top was made from a trunk, with the edges of the tree bark along the front, French Polished and additional storage all over it. To have that made would be quite a few £000.

Return to “Hardwicke”