Lost Property

David B

Re: Lost Property

Postby David B » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:44 am

For the recent Virtual Missenden Autumn Weekend I was asked to do a trip through my toolbox, a repeat of one I did at Missenden's Spring Weekend back in March. In it, I mention very thin files by which I mean between 10 and 20 thou. I also refer to very small seconds files which were also in a post on this thread back in April.

I have received an email from a fellow Missendenite drawing my attention to some more 'ultra-thin' files, still not cheap at £22 but comparable with HS Walsh. The round file is 0.6mm in diameter and the flat 0.5mm wide; both come in fine or medium. They can be found here: http://www.metalclay.co.uk/files-abrasives/?sort=alphaasc&page=2

If anyone wants a trip through my tool box, the 15 minute tour is here: https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/virtual-missenden-kit-building-tools/. You might like to have a look at the other Missenden offerings whist you are there.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanks for the tip, David. I've just bought one of the flat ones, but didn't bother with a round one as I couldn't see anything they could do that broaches can't - or am I missing something?

EDIT: OK, I see it!

David B

Postby David B » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:19 pm

Always on the lookout for useful tools, I came across an inexpensive scribe recently. It is simply a large needle held in a pin vice. The needles are made of hardened, coated steel, so tough and resilient. I have been using this for a few weeks and find it very useful. The needle in the vice is a No.20.

Scribe_g4059.jpg

The needles came from Hobbycraft and cost £2.50. Even though they are not all the same size, that's only 50p per needle plus a pin vice if you don't already have one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:51 pm

Hi David, :)

My good wife is hauling them out of her stores at this very minute for me to try - I could add a whole list of usefuls from this source, if anyone is interested.

Allan :)

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:19 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi David, :)

My good wife is hauling them out of her stores at this very minute for me to try - I could add a whole list of usefuls from this source, if anyone is interested.

Go for it Allan, it's always interesting to read about other sources of tools and materials.

Bob

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:57 am

bobwallison wrote:
Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi David, :)

Go for it Allan, it's always interesting to read about other sources of tools and materials.

Bob

Two items from my Lady's 'tool kit' are clear nail varnish - a low tack temporary adhesive, and the coarse 'emery boards' - which are not emery but sand paper. These are great for thinning the insides of RTR chassis. Both used with permission, of course...

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Return to “David B”