On the Road

David B

Re: On the Road

Postby David B » Mon May 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Two more that have grown on my bench recently.

The steam roller is a Springside model of a Wallis-Steevens 10 tonner and cost me all of £6 at the races. The hose on the side of the tanks is made from lead wire, something I only heard about recently and bought from the local fishing shop (also available on Amazon).

The water dandy is a Langley kit and was more expensive - full price at the Thornbury show a couple of weekends ago. I slipped up there!

No glue was used in making these, only solder.

I have a couple more to do then, I promise, they will be painted!

W_S-roller_0601crw.jpg

W_S-roller_0602crw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm

I have been to the Toy Fair again and came away with a few nice pieces including these three Bullnose Morris cars. However, I can't find out whose kits they are. Does anyone have any idea? I cannot find them in any current list - John Day, Springside, Scalelink, Langley . . .

Bullnose_0614.jpg

On other matters, paint has been flowing and when I did a count up, there are currently about 32 vehicles, horse and petrol-powered, on the bench. They will appear in due course. I have finished with the airbrush and am now working with the brush which is a slow process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Sorry, hadn't previously noticed your post about the Wallis, but what a lovely model!

Good to see that it has a highly appropriate corrugated awning. The shaft to the steering quadrant looks a bit on the meaty side, and it would benefit from a representation of the injectors and associated plumbing 'twixt belly tanks and feed checks. Not entirely clear whether it carries the throttle wheel alongside the steering wheel (always a good idea to remember which hand is controlling which of these wheels!)

'As is' it captures well the characteristics of an Advance and brings back happy memories of my introduction to steam on the road, now more than 40 years ago, with many miles steered on a ten-tonner across various parts of the West Country.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:16 pm

What lovely motors David! Just right to fit some nice 4mm people inside...

Regards,

Nick.

David B

Postby David B » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 am

Painting of vehicles has been interrupted by some more important things but I am getting back to them now. Whilst I have not finished any except, perhaps, the one here, there are a number which are getting towards that state. Bits get some paint and are then set aside whilst the paint hardens and something else gets a dab.

This Mail Phaeton is the most advanced, perhaps finished but I will look at it again in a few days' time. The horse could do with a bit more attention. The kit came from Rod Parker of Malvern whose list I posted back in 2012 (horse-drawn are on p4). Does anyone know if these kits are still available?

A phaeton was a fast, light vehicle. The GWR introduced the mail type in 1888, probably for urgent letters. There is a drawing of one in Janet Russell's book Great Western Horse Power - fig. 99, p70. I have copied a livery I found on the web. Being cast in white metal, some parts were a bit chunky so I have thinned down the shafts and wheels in particular whose edge I have rounded. The wheels were lighter anyway being on a phaeton and had a rubber tyre rather than a steel band.

Mail phaeton_0875crw.jpg

Mail phaeton_0877crw.jpg

Suggestions welcomed.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm

The phaeton looks very nice ... but is the horse ideal? It looks like a heavy draft-horse and I'd expect a lighter beast for a light carriage. Like this: http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/A10.php maybe? Or this: http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/A14.php. Not that I know much about horses really; I'd appreciate any input here as I will need a fair few carriage horses for my own layout.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:40 pm

David B wrote:This Mail Phaeton is the most advanced, perhaps finished but I will look at it again in a few days' time. The horse could do with a bit more attention.

Suggestions welcomed.

Hi David,

the one thing that strikes me about your lovely horse and cart is that it is all too clean!

You don't mention whether or not you intend going over it again, but given how grimy Edwardian streets would have been then even if something was well cared for I suspect that it would be far more matt and those lovely shiny spokes would have more grime over them.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that this is the sort of subject matter where we need to be looking at our friends in the military modelling world to see how they encapsulate the atmosphere of workaday vehicles, animals and people. If it was me I think I'd be resorting to layers of dry brushing to bring up the canvas on the hood and try and put some sense of movement and texture onto the flanks of the horse as well.

Anyway, as usual exquisitely modelled and I'm sure that we'll see many more of a similar quality emerging from your workshop as soon as you have the chance to devote a little more time to them.

cheers,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:22 pm

I did say I would look at it again in a few days' time but I agree with both Guy and Paul. The horse is the one that came with the kit and it is a bit 'heavy' - I don't think it would have had that type of collar which is more suited to a draught horse with a heavier load.

I have been advised by an acknowledged expert in weathering to run a dark wash over the wheels which should make the spokes look a bit 'lighter', but to add a bit of shine to the carriage body. The casting is a bit pitted and coachwork was of a higher quality. I will ponder this for a while.

When at Missenden the week before last, I was shown a method employed by military modellers for painting their horses. The horse is given an undercoat (matt) of dark blue for a black horse, sand for a chestnut or bay and white for a grey. The top coat is oil paint, straight from the tube, dabbed on with an old brush and left for a few hours to begin hardening. It is then removed with a sponge and corners cleaned out. The oil paint seems to penetrate the undercoat and leaves a shine when removed. Some fettling with cotton buds, adding some more paint in areas which come out a bit light, finishes the horse off which is then left for a few days to dry and harden. An interesting technique. Does anyone know of any other ways to paint horses?

David B

Postby David B » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 pm

I have been easing myself back in to modelling after a few weeks' of being otherwise engaged. I bought these at the end of last week and have got to the stage of tidying up, filling a couple of air holes before painting.

Clyno-bikes_4084crw.jpg

They are Clyno motorcycles (WD Models again) are from around the time of the Great War. The Crossley at the beginning of this thread came from the same place. These are a real challenge with 13 resin parts and 13 etched bits - twice because there are two kits in one packet (for £12). I have made a few alterations, soldering .3 wire pins to several brass bits and drilling through everything that attaches to the axles, inserting a .3mm bit of wire to help the construction (the stands do move). The kit is designed to have things stuck on in layers. I replaced the exhaust pipe with some brass tube as I felt the resin one was vulnerable. One numberplate had to be remade by squashing a piece of lead wire, the original having paid the carpet god a visit.

The wheel insert etches are very good and fit in to a groove inside the tyre. This has a snag because for casting, there is a resin bar across the inside of the wheel, so when it has been cut out, you have to make the groove. Putting the middles in is a simple matter of placing them on the tyre and gently pressing with a finger until they snap in to place.

Like the Southwark Bridge models, this is a challenge . . . but one well worth taking up.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:26 am

Falling over time - I have painted something. They are mounted on 14BA bolts soldered to 13amp plug pins.

Painted-bikes_4207.jpg

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 am

These are looking great David

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:21 pm

They are very fine David; in both senses of the word!
Mark Tatlow

David B

Postby David B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am

A few more road items have been added to my collection though, as usual, they have yet to be painted. My railway, operating very reliably in my mind, is set in the nineteen teens, so I thought a bit of military would not go amiss, especially as a wagon load. I have limbers as well, but only part made.

4.5" howitzers from WD Models
Howitzers_g3666.jpg

18pdr field gun, WD Models
18pdr_g3665.jpg

The wagons are GWR Macaw As, D&S kits. I replaced the plastic floors with brass and used BB sprung W irons.

These three vehicles came from Scalelink

l to r: 1914 Vauxhall sports; 1913 Type K Aquila Italiana; 1911 Ford Model T pick-up. The bale in the back comes from Skytrex.
3-vehicles_g3668.jpg

Finally, a couple of delivery trikes from PD Marsh:
Delivery-trikes_g3669.jpg

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Those motorbikes look fantastic David. Very tempting looking kits.
You assembled and then painted, would there have been any benefit in painting some parts before assembly?

Andrew

David B

Postby David B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

BrockleyAndrew wrote:You assembled and then painted, would there have been any benefit in painting some parts before assembly?

Glad you like them, Andrew. Are you referring to the delivery bikes or the Clyno motorbikes?

The delivery bikes are very small and making them in units difficult. About the only thing you might have separate is the lid to the box. They are also soldered (my preferred method) which does not really go with painting first, so no, I don't feel in this case painting some parts before putting the whole together would work. However . . . . if someone would like to show otherwise . . .??

The motorbikes do not make up in units, the main part being cast as one piece (it is resin) on to which the detail is added. I suppose it would be possible to paint some parts first, glueing (using cyano) not being as damaging to paint as soldering. I did make a few small additions with brass wire which I then soldered to the brass etched pieces. This was done to make the parts stronger on the bike and in the case of the stands, to make them movable. The motorbikes were very satisfying to make.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:30 am

The delivery tricycles are interesting but I can't see how they are powered (I can make out the drive chain). Were they petrol, electric or pedalled?

David B

Postby David B » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I believe they had a small petrol engine. There is a chain drive to the rear wheel.

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:06 am

Hello David

Thanks for the reply. I was talking about the Clyno motorbikes, and from your reply and looking back at your photos I can see what you mean when you say there would be little gain in painting pre-assembly.

They look great and I look forward to seeing them in place on your layout.

I'm going to order and have a go so thanks for the inspiration.

Andrew

David B

Postby David B » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:43 am

BrockleyAndrew wrote:They look great and I look forward to seeing them in place on your layout.

I'm going to order and have a go so thanks for the inspiration.

You will have to wait for the layout which is still firmly anchored in my head, though working perfectly!

I have just bought another pair of bikes to test my patience.

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello David, very much enjoyed the road vehicle selection, very impressed with your neat / invisible soldering. I too build road vehicles to use as wagon loads but so far they've mainly been plastic - I'm waiting until the neatness of my own soldering improves to the point where I tackle a white metal kit and I have a Jaguar XK 140 (a favourite car) ready for that time... :)
Last edited by Chas Levin on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas

David B

Postby David B » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:23 am

I like to have a smaller something to do alongside any larger project, just as a change. Over the years, I have amassed quit a collection of pre-Grouping road vehicles, steam, horse and combustion powered, commercial and personal.

The latest additions are here - 4 x Roll Royces from 1920 and 1915. There is no producer of an early Rolls in the UK. I found these in America (Washington state) on the Tin Soldiers website. The scale is slightly larger at 1:72 but I am sure that, with careful placing, they won't stand out too much.

By the standards of British producers of white metal castings, these are chunky and rough. There has been a lot of filing, especially on the grooves and some alterations made. The two main ones concern the windscreens and spare wheels.

Rollers-x-4_C9518.jpg

From left to right: Brougham, Phaeton, Limousine and the 1915 version, used by Lenin.

The spare wheels, as supplied, mount on bosses further back and higher so that the wheels are off the running boards. I cut off the mounts and drilled a hole further forwards and slightly lower, tapping them 8BA. A stud was put through the wheel (and acts as a hub) and the wheel screwed in. The front mudguards needed bending, cutting and attached to the running boards so that they flow as per photographs. I then excavated a hollow for the spare wheels and reinforced below with some Apoxie Sculpt. The result is much nearer the prototype.

The windscreens come as thick cast surrounds, so I cut them off and replaced with nickel silver. I made 'L' section from 1mm flat bar with a length of 0.3 wire soldered (179 solder) along one edge leaving gaps for the corners. I filled in with 145 solder, filed then polished smooth. The screen was folded to shape and two short (0.3mm) pins soldered in holes in the bottom. I glazed with glass (microscope cover slips) and cleaned up with Windolene (what else?).

Side lights and in a couple of cases, rear red lights, are made from short handrail knobs. I filled the hole on one side with solder and opened the other with a 1mm round burr. The lenses are Little Lenses , red and clear, from Modelling Tools UK. The headlights were opened with a 3mm ball burr and suitable Little Lenses used. In all cases, I separated the lens from the backing and put them in with a drop of cyan, back to front so as to present a flat surface. I then made my own version of headlight mounting and put them in last.

On the whole, I am pleased with the results. They have taken far, far longer to make than I had initially expected. One was never going to make a silk purse from the kit but they are significantly better than they could have been and I feel presentable. The only bit I am not entirely happy with is the yellow paint which, as I am sure you know, does not cover very well. Colour schemes are taken from examples on the web.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:27 pm

Of course there was always Jet Petrol, handed out free as a gaudy plastic kit when one filled up there. It seems remarkable that this model scene was created, photographed and first exhibited over fifty years ago, with the prototype scene depicted being less than 35 years prior to that.
IMG_0012.jpg

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:15 pm

I had a set of the Jet Petrol cars. 2 of them ended up in the scrap yard on Enigma Engineering and another rotting away on my American layout. I still have the vintage 'Le Mans' style Bentley unmade as I doubt one of these would end up as a scrapper!

David B

Postby David B » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 pm

I have been continuing to get my collection ready for the show in Crewe in June. In the meantime, I was invited to take some to Taunton last Sunday for the SWAG RMWeb day. The photo shows less than half the collection.

My thanks to John Farmer (Re6/6) for the photo. I hope to see many of you at Crewe.

SWAG DB's motors.jpg

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 pm

Enigma wrote: I still have the vintage 'Le Mans' style Bentley unmade as I doubt one of these would end up as a scrapper!

They went in to scrap yards, just as any old car would. A lot came out later though. Its totally conceivable for a '50s scrap yard to have an old Bentley.

Return to “David B”