From scrap to loco

Andy W

From scrap to loco

Postby Andy W » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm rather rigid in my modelling range - I stick to the Midland 1908-ish. However, some years back I found this photo at a show and somehow it bit me.
Tramengine.jpg

It's the Wilkinson tram, now preserved at Crich, while it was working as the works shunter at Beyer Peacock's. As this will be an exercise in scratch building I decided to use my collection of scrap etch as much as possible.

ScrapBP.jpg

I say scratch build - but I'll be buying wheels/buffers and other turnings. Sadly I'm not a lathe owner. I'll try and keep sequential photo coverage, but - to paraphrase Eric Morecambe - they will be the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. Armed with a GA I obtained from the NRM years ago, while they were at Manchester, I set to work.

chassis.jpg

The basic parts for chassis and floor. I had intended to have an inserted second floor which would contain the water tanks and sand storage units etc. thus allowing them to drop out for painting. This idea has since been abandoned. Access to the interior for painting is something I have pondered over.

sides.jpg

Once the sides were in order I started to do a bit of bending. This was hit and miss, so took a few attempts. I riveted the ends of the panels while they were over length, then filed back so they were near the edges.

bending.jpg

At last I was getting there.

bendingends.jpg

And a body starts to form.

doorway.jpg

The plan is to build split axles and CSBs. I know there are some who say CSBs don't suit an 0-4-0T - but I like to live dangerously. I'm a wild sort of chap.

I'll post developments if others are interested. And probably will if they aren't.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andy W on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

David Knight

Re: From scrap to loco

Postby David Knight » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 pm

This all looks very interesting please do continue!

Cheers,

David

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:03 pm

I too will be looking at this with great interest as I ought eventually to do something similar. Good progress so far!

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Won't you be peeved when Bachmann announce this in their 2015 range...............!!!!

More seriously, I can see why you think it is worth modelling and it looks fun not to be contrained with the limitations of what you are starting with. Keep us informed?
Mark Tatlow

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:29 pm

For those of you suffering from insomnia, I'm back. The last pic above makes it appear that the rivets are the size of meat pies. A trick of the light (I hope!.)

I like to get the chassis built before I get too far with the body, that way (especially with split axles) you can check for shorts etc. as you progress.

01framesandrods.jpg

I said this was to be built using scrap etch - I cheated. I found a Gibson universal coupling rod fret in my odds and ends box and used it. Life's too short not to take a short cut when offered.

02settingwheelbase.jpg

I measured the wheelbase and built the rods using pins.

03rods.jpg

This allowed me to cut the rods to length.

04settingaxlejig.jpg

I actually set the jig using the rods - but they could also be built on the jig rather than pins.

05chassisandaxle.jpg

The chassis was then solder up on the jig - this has been covered elsewhere. So I assume there's no need to elaborate. The csb pivot points were set using the High Level jig.

07chassisandmotor.jpg

The motor ready to install.

06motorandmount.jpg

The motor and chassis are tested before adding to the chassis. It's a High Level Load Hauler 108:1. It should (????) fit exactly in the vertical boiler - at least that's what that Chris Gibbons chap told me.

08motorinchassis.jpg

It fits - but there's very little clearance between the chassis/gearbox/split axles. In fact there's no clearance. After this, making a small Midland loco will feel like working in wild open spaces.

09motorinframes.jpg

But the motor does appear to be in the correct position - the boiler on this loco is not central, it's towards the front entrance.

10wirestripping.jpg

Time to connect the power supply. I've used very thin wires and this is the best way to strip them - a scalpel or wire stripper is too crude.

11testingforinsulation.jpg

Once the fumes have died away it's wired up. You can see the lack of clearance here. But the frames were isolated.

12checkingmotorruns.jpg

And it runs. Now I can push on with the upper bits. And I'll never have to worry about bending bits of wire here, there and everywhere to collect current.

That's all for now. Everyone back to sleep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andy W on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:35 pm

That is very impressive work. It should give encouragement to people like me who have a mental block about building anything that is supposed to move when it's finished. ;)

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 pm

More ramblings.....
01sidesandchassis.jpg

The side and floor tested with the chassis.

02framesandbody.jpg

And an end added.

03interiorfloor.jpg

My plan was to it the small end tanks and sand boxes to an inner floor along with the stanchions and roof attached. This would allow them to be removed for painting etc. As will be seen this idea was abandoned.

04edgingfretted.jpg

I tried to think of some clever way to avoid cutting a continuous piece of beading - I failed and resorted to fretting one out.

04aroofends.jpg

I used the GA to work out the roof ends and made thin card templates (bottom). When I was happy they wrapped around the model o.k. I soldered two pieces of brass together, stuck the templates on and fretted them out.

05roofon.jpg

Sorry this shot is a bit soft, but it shows the beading, along with the roof loosely balanced in place.

06bodyandstanchions.jpg

I added the stanchions and tanks to the false floor. This is when I abandoned this idea. It was difficult to tease out and the tanks never sat flush with the sides. So I decided to fit the tanks and stanchions to the body, and have a removable roof.

07bodyandinterior2.jpg

I added to roof supports, and now the body interior can still be painted.
Last edited by Andy W on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Looking good there Ealing. Must be happy with the progress on what is quite an unusual little loco. :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks Doug. Time to roll the boiler.

01boilerandtemplate.jpg

I knew the boiler's height and diameter from the GA so I worked the circumference out using π; the radius; my shoe size and the number I first thought of. I then cut a paper blank to check and once I was happy cut the metal to match.

02boilerparts.jpg

Once rolled I cut a disc like a washer and fitted the flu to it.

04parts.jpg

This was the point when I decided to fit the tanks and stanchions to the body.

02insulatingbody.jpg

I added some highly sophisticated electrical isolation.

04testingbodyforinsulation.jpg

And tested it.

01drillingbufferbeams.jpg

I drilled out the buffers in pairs.

02bufferparts2.jpg

The sandwich wood is a coffee stirrer. I "collect" these as they come in various thicknesses. However, I realised that If I fitted them directly to the body there was no way I could access the tails should they ever jam in the heads. So to solve this, and make painting easier, I made them removable.

03buffers.jpg

The bolts holding the body and chassis together will also fix the buffer beams.

07boilerfromunderneath.jpg

Like this - with a view of the inside of the boiler.

04bodyandbuffers4.jpg

A view from the side.

06bodyandchassis.jpg

And with the roof. It's starting to look like...... well, a shed on wheels!
Last edited by Andy W on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 pm

This really is coming along very well. Looking forward very much to how you complete the chassis.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Time for more rubbish from me, I'm afraid.
01wheelsfilled.jpg

Perhaps I should have used black filler, but the superfine gives a better finish. They'll be painted with overlays anyway.

02wiringwheels.jpg

Grooves cut in the wheels and the wires wrapped around in place.

03wheelwired.jpg

The wires aren't soldered yet, that would cause them to shear when the wheels are pressed on.

04wheelpress.jpg

Using the GW wheel press. I needed to adapt the tool by extending the slots for the crank pins because the wheels are so small. It was a tip George gave me at Expo EM.

05wheelshorting.jpg

Once the wheels are on then I solder the wires, trim and file flush.

06gearsloctited.jpg

Loctite the gears.

07wheelspressed2.jpg

With the wheels pressed home, now they can be soldered.

pullrods2.jpg

Starting the crank pulls.

brakecranks.jpg

Holes drilled first, then cut from etch.

crankssoldered.jpg

Roxey do some very useful, extremely long hand rail knobs.

Brakes.jpg

The finished, unfocused brake units. They were designed to be made as one unit and to pop into tubes soldered in the frames. However, my plan to insulate the two sides using electric wire sheath went disastrously wrong. Now I plan to glue them in place after painting.

laggedpipe.jpg

Another failure was my plan to reproduce the lagging on the water pipes at either end of the cab by wrapping wire in dental floss. You can see from later photos that this isn'r subtle enough. So I'll re-do these - although not sure how yet.

parts.jpg

The scene after the boiler blew up.

nearlydone.jpg

Nearly heading for the paint shop. However, I need to get the Wilkinson plate etched for the rear. This will have to wait a while. I'm off to Africa for most of the next month, to a land where railways have never run, and probably never will.
03wheelwired.jpg
crankssoldered.jpg
Last edited by Andy W on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Ealing, that looks great.... All from scrap... I am most impressed by the cranks. I had not thought of using the etch fret corners like that. It is very unusual and quite interesting. Enjoy Africa.... We will be waiting for the next installment.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Mario KESR

Postby Mario KESR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:28 am

Hello Andy W
I have found this thread to be both educational and entertaining. Has the loco been painted? Are there any photos of it on your layout?
Thanks again.
Regards
Mario

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks Mario. It's painted, but not lined. I'll try and take a snap or two soon. I've several projects at the same stage as I tend to build in batches.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:53 pm

"I'll try and take a snap or two soon." Mmmmm three years isn't that soon! I've been busy on other builds and this one has stalled slightly.

I hoped to post these, rather poor, snaps on this thread - only to find the Photobucket monster had struck while I was away. I've followed the tips to install the patch for Chrome. It works for me - I hope it does for others and the earlier pictures show. I'll post the latest directly and not use PB again.
This loco is now ready for a spray with dirty varnish to give it a suitable well oiled "patina". Consequently a few parts are still not firmly attached and aren't 100% square. Hopefully I can resume work on some 1908 Midland locos and stock now.
front web.jpg[/attachment]
rear web.jpg

BP and wagon web.jpg
[attachment=2]
Hopefully this gives an idea of its scale.

The lagging on the water pipes is still overscale so I need to re-address this.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:25 pm

As mentioned on another forum, can we please avoid using "Photobucket" for posting photos?

I don't suppose that I am the only member who just gets an invitation to "update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" where the photo should appear.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Andy,

Is there any possibility of getting the pics replaced that photobucket stole/lost/is holding for ransom? The thread would be so much more useful if they were available. The end product looks great :thumb

Cheers,

David

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Andy. First off, hope you had a good Christmas and all the best for the new year.
The little Beyer looks gorgeous. What a pretty little thing.

Al.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks Al and David.

The thread was obviously started prior to the Photobucket fiasco. Unless someone has a better idea I might have to paste in photos to replace those currently hidden.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Andy W wrote:Thanks Al and David.

The thread was obviously started prior to the Photobucket fiasco. Unless someone has a better idea I might have to paste in photos to replace those currently hidden.

Interestingly I can see all the photos using the google photobucket patches whilst using google chrome -they are loaded in extensions. - I have the photobucket embed fix and the Photobucket Hotlink Fix which seem to do the trick.
Tim Lee

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 pm

I don't think we should rely on members to each download fixes for this, I'll look into replacing the photos tomorrow.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Andy W wrote:I don't think we should rely on members to each download fixes for this, I'll look into replacing the photos tomorrow.

I agree ... but many might want to, as photobucket effects more than just this site or your photos.
Tim Lee

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Quite right Tim. My original photos are on an older machine, but I think I've worked out how to fix it.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

I believe I've slain the Photobucket monster - on this thread at least. Hopefully it's now readable.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Thank you Andy :thumb :thumb :thumb :!:
I had been following the thread before with intent to act on it but got sidetracked, so it’s great that you brought it back in all its glory.

Cheers,

David

Return to “Andy W”