M.R. 0-4-0T 0F

Andy W

M.R. 0-4-0T 0F

Postby Andy W » Tue May 26, 2020 12:39 pm

I think I was attracted to the Brassmasters 0F because it reminded me of my school report grades. It's been sitting on my S of S for quite a while awaiting glazing; lining and a few other things. Like an idiot I decided to fully line like the few early types - but I love the black battered heavily riveted look of some of the later versions (see Jim S-W's lovely version). Anyway here it is at last.

From the rear with back wall unattached to show inside cab.
Rear.JPG

I should have dusted it down before taking the pics.
Front.JPG

The rear is balanced on and will be fitted later.
side 2.JPG

All my chassis are built with split axles. The centre line on the rear axle isn't a split - it's just where the beam has rubbed. I used HL hornblocks and on the driven axle fitted wire through the keeper plates that was too thick to allow any flexing. As I result it's rigid but I can drop it out if needed.
Axles.JPG

I didn't spot I'd missed the rails on this one!
Chassis.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

garethashenden

Re: M.R. 0-4-0T 0F

Postby garethashenden » Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Looks great! I keep forgetting just how great the Midland’s red livery looks. Very tempting.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Andy W wrote:....
All my chassis are built with split axles. The centre line on the rear axle isn't a split - it's just where the beam has rubbed. I used HL hornblocks and on the driven axle fitted wire through the keeper plates that was too thick to allow any flexing. As I result it's rigid but I can drop it out if needed.
Axles.JPG

Is it a distortion by the camera lens or are your chassis frames bowed towards the rear? :-?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Distortion

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Wed May 27, 2020 6:05 am

Andy me ol mucker, close those links up. many a fine model is spoiled three link couplings not being closed and soldered you naughty boy. Superb model by the way.

Al.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed May 27, 2020 10:10 am

Great stuff Andy
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm

Mmmm, I rather like that. Might have a word with Brassmasters as/when/if (delete as applicable) I see them again at a show.

It would look great in my standard corporate steam engine green....................... :twisted:

Very nicely built. What wheels did you use?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu May 28, 2020 7:49 am

Alan: I promise I’ll tweak the 3 links the next time it’s taken out of storage.
Enigma: wheels are Gibson’s.

“It would look great in my standard corporate steam engine green....“ No. Not allowed. :)

P.S. there’s been discussion on young Flymo’s thread about using conductive paint for split axles. I’d never discourage any experimenting but I’m sceptical it works. I could never get decent conductivity using it and all paint dries and flakes. Even if it works initially I think a builder would have to resort to fitting wire pick ups (yuck!).

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Andy W wrote:P.S. there’s been discussion on young Flymo’s thread about using conductive paint for split axles. I’d never discourage any experimenting but I’m sceptical it works. I could never get decent conductivity using it and all paint dries and flakes. Even if it works initially I think a builder would have to resort to fitting wire pick ups (yuck!).

Andy,

I've deferred replying, as I've been hunting through all of the likely places (part-built kits on the Shelf of Shame, my box of loco wheels, my box of pickup bits, etc.) and I still can't find the damned test piece and the meter readings.

When it does surface, I'll definitely post about it. Ah, I've just thought of somewhere else it could be!

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:51 pm

It's a lovely colour and finish Andy as well as all its other qualities. Makes me think of rhubarb crumble and Cornish clotted cream :D I wonder what paint you used and what was the undercoat?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks Julian, it's precision MR red on top of Halfords primer. Of course the next step is to weather it. Are we insane? We spend all this effort to get a good finish and then cover it in grime??????

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Should the cylinders be lined ?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 am

No, Deeley had simplified the livery when the first batch were built in 1907 - the start of the "modern image era" as far as I'm concerned. Even so, only the first 5 engines were crimson. The rest were plain black.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:39 pm

Andy W wrote:I think I was attracted to the Brassmasters 0F because it reminded me of my school report grades. It's been sitting on my S of S for quite a while awaiting glazing; lining and a few other things. Like an idiot I decided to fully line like the few early types - but I love the black battered heavily riveted look of some of the later versions (see Jim S-W's lovely version). Anyway here it is at last.

From the rear with back wall unattached to show inside cab.
Rear.JPG

I should have dusted it down before taking the pics.
Front.JPG
The rear is balanced on and will be fitted later.
side 2.JPG

Axles.JPG

I didn't spot I'd missed the rails on this one!
Chassis.JPG

How Have I missed this :? Lovely little loco ... Crimson Lake and beautiful lining to boot :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Andy W”