Belated update, January 2018

Moderator: Timara Easter

chrisf

Belated update, January 2018

Postby chrisf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

Oh dear, it has been ages since the last post and those who do not join our monthly gatherings may be forgiven for assuming that the group has ceased to be. Not so! We continue to meet alongside our EMGS colleagues, discussing this and that, showing and telling, generally putting the world to rights and being constantly surprised at the wide range of our discussions. Where we have slipped up is in submitting regular reports to the EMGS newsletter and not sharing them here. It is time to repent.

Our present nominal base is the Engineer, St John’s Road, Harpenden. There we gather on the third Wednesday of every month at 7.30 pm unless we get a better offer – which, at times, we do. Four times a year – January, April, July and October – we meet instead at 2.30 pm after an informal lunch at 12.45 pm for 1 pm. After an encouraging start we are also planning to hold two meetings a year (March and September) in Bedford to serve the northern part of our loosely-defined catchment area.

It has not all been smooth sailing. We are currently in our third Harpenden home because pubs and their clienteles change, not always for the better, and our third Bedford home because the first two closed at short notice.

If you live in Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire or Northamptonshire and fancy being part of an Area Group, our organiser Tim Easter will be pleased to hear from you on <chilterns.areagroup@gmail.com>. Members with degrees in geography will, I hope, forgive the liberties we have taken in reinventing the Chilterns!

The next meeting of the Group will be on Wednesday 17th January at the Engineer, St John’s Road, Harpenden AL5 1DJ. The meeting begins at 2.30 pm and is preceded by informal lunch at l pm.

Chris

chrisf

Re: Belated update, January 2018

Postby chrisf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Oh dear, another apology already.

Those attending the excellent CMRA exhibition at Stevenage this weekend might well have expected to see some reference to the Chilterns Area Group on the Society stand. I shared that expectation! I wrote something which was intended to be displayed on the stand as a placard. Unfortunately there appears to have been a telepathy failure and there was no placard to be displayed.

All is not lost. You all know from my earlier post that there is to be a meeting of the Area Group on Wednesday 17th January at the Engineer in Harpenden, commencing at 2.30 pm and preceded at 1 pm by informal lunch. A brief report of the meeting will follow. Honest ...

Chris

Le Corbusier

Re: Belated update, January 2018

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I found CMRA a very enjoyable show - I spent a happy 3 -4 hours wandering around today. Spent a fair old time watching both Sandford & Banwell, and Shelvington & Rydes Hill ..... both ran perfectly whilst I was there and both were extremely entertaining. Shelvington I have to admit has gone a long way to negating my previous prejudices regarding post steam layouts .... excellent :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Chilterns”