Chilterns Area Group

Moderator: Timara Easter

Timara Easter

Chilterns Area Group

Postby Timara Easter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 pm

A short announcement of the formation of a new(ish) area group.

The AG fills a geographical gap between the NLG and CHEAG and roughly follows the line of the Chiltern Hills, encompassing large parts of Beds, Bucks and Herts.

Since forming an AG within the EMGS, there has been a reasonably good contingent of S4 members attending our meetings as it is (myself and our very own deputy chairman included) so it seemed rather sensible to conjoin the two. We have a wide amount of interests and skills within current members and occasionally have the odd themed evening. Usually between 6 and 10 members attending per night.

Meetings are currently held on the third Wednesday (evening) each month, mainly in Harpenden but with occasional forays to members homes. I am very grateful, too, to Terry Bendall for kindly agreeing to do the occasional workshop day/evening for us on various subjects. Details of those later, once a group choice on whatever subject has been agreed upon.

Anyone wishing to join will be most welcome to contact me at chilterns@scalefour.org, where I can give further details of activities etc.

Cheers,
Tim

chrisf

Re: Chilterns Area Group

Postby chrisf » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:44 pm

The first of the new meetings was encouraging. Although a couple of the regular contingent were absent, a newly rejoined Society member, Bryan Cross, attended. Bryan brought with him two recent purchases, viz a George Alan footbridge and a Judith Edge kit for the Conflat P wagon as found in the legendary Condor overnight freight service. Both items prompted much discussion, ranging from kit instructions to IS-12 (anybody remember that?).

All members living within the group's massive catchment area are cordially invited to the next meeting, which will be at the Red Cow, Westfield Road, Harpenden, from 7.30 pm on Wednesday 18th March. We discovered last night that car parking space is scarce but fear not, there are several lightly trafficked roads within a few minutes' walk of the pub. Further particulars may be had from Tim Easter on <chilterns@scalefour.org>.

Chris

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:38 pm

A 'To Let' sign greeted us on arrival at the Red Cow for the last meeting. No, it isn't anything we have done but a desire by the landlord and landlady to retire. It is good that they are looking for someone to take over the pub.

Out of the usual wide ranging discussion came an idea for a theme for a future meeting. It seems that all present own a resistance soldering unit but the extent to which we use it varies considerably, the range being constantly to never! Three of us attended the Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day at West Byfleet and learned a lot from Ray Hodson who was demonstrating RSU techniques. The idea is that everyone who owns an RSU should bring it to a future meeting and share experiences. Clearly we cannot do this in the Red Cow, especially if it is darts night, but a suitable venue is in mind.

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 15th April at the Red Cow, Westfield Road, Harpenden, from 7.30 pm. Unless we get a better offer, the format will be a get-together over a pint. Those with something to show and tell are particularly welcome. Making everyone else jealous is optional.

Chris

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu May 14, 2015 6:50 am

The next meeting is sooner than I thought - Wednesday 20th May at the Red Cow, Westfield Road, Harpenden, from 7.30 pm. Be prepared to discuss passenger tanks or anything else that comes to mind!

Chris

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat May 16, 2015 5:43 am

chrisf wrote:The next meeting is sooner than I thought - Wednesday 20th May at the Red Cow, Westfield Road, Harpenden, from 7.30 pm. Be prepared to discuss passenger tanks or anything else that comes to mind!

Chris

My apologies, as work takes me to Paris next Wednesday so I'll be unable to join you.

One day the stars will coincide...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Chilterns”