Re-armed signals

barhamd

Re-armed signals

Postby barhamd » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Pre-grouping (in my case GER) lower quadrant signal were pivoted on a hole drilled through the wooden post. When these were given replacement upper quadrant arms (on the original post) am I right in thinking that this pivot would not have been used and a new casting, similar to that used on tubular post signals would have been bolted onto the side of the post?

This example from Clare would seem to imply that as the pivot for the signal arms are clearly not at the centre line of the post.
signal.jpg

thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Re: Re-armed signals

Postby John Palmer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

I have no knowledge of LNER practice specifically, but in general yes, you are correct in thinking that a new casting would be bolted to a wooden post when refitting it with an upper quadrant arm. The new casting would act as a combined mounting for the arm pivot and the lamp. Conventionally the casting would also incorporate a spring loaded buffer acting against a stop on the spectacle, in order to absorb the shock of the arm returning to the 'on' position.

Return to “Semaphore Signals”