close up photos of GWR tubular signals

junctionmad

close up photos of GWR tubular signals

Postby junctionmad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Im just beginning to 3D print the bits for the classic GWR tubular semaphore signal , in 7mm , these will slide onto suitable brass tubes.

I have some good drawings , but could do with a few photos of the back of the signal , in particular the lamp bracket and spindle bracket . I have Vaughans book , but the best one there ( plate 41a on page 49) is from one perspective

Thanks

Dave

Tim V

Re: close up photos of GWR tubular signals

Postby Tim V » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Like this?
Ashton Junction 18-7-1978 New Hanimex Lens 136-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:54 am

excellent thanks , has anyone a square on pic of the back ?
I have a good pic from the lamp side
Dave

David B

Postby David B » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Any of these of use? Taken at Llangollen.

G1021rw.jpg

G1028rw.jpg

G1029rw.jpg

G1030rw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:49 pm

brilliant thanks

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Just curious, what's the rectangular box with wires going in to it?

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Simon_S wrote:Just curious, what's the rectangular box with wires going in to it?

Looks like the standard GWR contact enclosure, most probably for a repeater of the signal's aspect in the signal box.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:16 pm

John Palmer wrote:Looks like the standard GWR contact enclosure, most probably for a repeater of the signal's aspect in the signal box.

The lamp has no backlight blinder, but does have wires, so it appears that the signal is not visible from the box (or someone is being extra cautious) and has repeaters for the lamp and confirming the arm has answered the lever, as you suggest. There is a crank on the spindle visible in the photos.
Regards
Noel

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Noel wrote:
John Palmer wrote:Looks like the standard GWR contact enclosure, most probably for a repeater of the signal's aspect in the signal box.

The lamp has no backlight blinder, but does have wires, so it appears that the signal is not visible from the box (or someone is being extra cautious) and has repeaters for the lamp and confirming the arm has answered the lever, as you suggest. There is a crank on the spindle visible in the photos.

I know nothing about the layout at Llangollen, but so far as Tim's picture of the Ashton Gate signal is concerned then, yes, the sightline to this from Ashton Junction Box would have been obstructed by the bridge carrying the A370 over the railway, so a repeater would have been appropriate. I can't remember how much the pre-Cumberland Basin scheme bridge would have obscured the view, though I do have indistinct memories of crossing New Cut via the double deck swing bridge that also carried on its lower level the Wapping Wharf branch - to which the signal in Tim's picture applied.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 pm

But here at Honeybourne, the signal is visible from the box and has repeaters. Of course, this is later WR practice.
Honeybourne 17 June 1979 OM1 165-001.jpg
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David B

Postby David B » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 pm

The signal at Llangollen is right by a bridge which is how I came to get the close-up images, so line of sight may well be the important factor. You can see the slope up to the bridge in the first photo and the bridge itself in the second one. I have no idea where the box is - I didn't notice it - too busy photographing the signal!
Last edited by David B on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:28 am

Image at Honeybourne; a nice example of a catch point too :)
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks for the answers. Honeybourne is just down the road from me. There were several boxes for its incredibly complex set of junctions, maybe this signal was repeated in a box the other side of the bridge.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:07 pm

The box at Llangollen is right at the other end of the station with footbridge, platform canopies and a slight curve between it and the signal in the photo.

Return to “Semaphore Signals”