NER slotted post signals

DougN

NER slotted post signals

Postby DougN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:07 am

Just to show that I have been doing things other than build locomotives. I have had a go at building a NER sloted post signal kit from MSE. I purchased the kit at Scalefourum last year. The kit comes with all that is required. I liked the idea of reducing the supplied height to match the signal 19 at Goathland. I have relocated the balance weight down lower on the post as the signal will not be in a public area on my future proposed layout. The MSE instructions are quite comprehensive but I noticed that you can't solder all the construction. As I seem to get along with solder I changed the methodology a bit and assembled everything except the lamp and the final side of the slot so I can insert the painted arm in and do the final assembly of the signal after painting. Any how below is the photos of the signal to date.

I have also used the NER record for additional information along with book on Signaling by Mick Nicolson... which I found more useful.
Slotted post signal 01.jpg
Slotted post signal 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

DougN

Re: NER slotted post signals

Postby DougN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:12 am

AS this took 3 times to get into the system here is the prototype photo...
Slotted signal Goathland (360x800).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Doug:

Will you be using a square-section pivot, so that the arm and spectacle plate won't be tempted to spin independently of each other :?: :idea:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Horse, the spindle goes through the bearing plates so when assembled it will go

Spectacle Bearing plate, signal Arm, Bearing plate, Blinder

So I am thinkiing of using a locktite glue to hold those all together on the spindle but the MSE instructions recommend colouring the brass of the specticle and the back blinder with black sharpie/ felt tipped pen and soldering the spectacle and blinder once the post is assembled. The signal arm is already soldered to the spindle prior to painting. I would like to get some more done today but work has called me back in! :(
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 am

Well back to an old thread I had started but not completed. So for those that aren't reading about twitchy servos....(is that servo watching???? I wonder if Shell or BP has something to do with it! :D ) Any how back to the signal. After some trials and tribulations I have finally got the signal in once peice and working with the servo control using a Brunel Models circuit. (http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/). John and I will discuss in the future the possibility of changing the bounce and speed of the change of signal and possibly a circuit to actually do it... bit of watch this space here. I also purchased the servos at a very reasonable rate from http://www.hobbyking.com... actually to the point that I purchased 5 servos and extra bits for the same price as 1 at a electronics shop!... Yet to try model shops who stock them for the Aero modellers.

Any how heres a photo.
signal & servo.jpg
Doug

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 am

Bit of an update after the area meeting last night I did discuss with John his circuitry for his servos which are driving o gauge pointwork. He has another circuit that will drive 10 servos which are fully programable for bounce etc. This is well beyond my abilities in electronics and programing (Alright I have no programming knowledge!) at the current point in time. We did have along discussion with a number of the other members present that the movement of the signal is accurate for a signalman being professional and not droping the signal. Smooth with no sudden stops! One of the other members also mentioned that he needed 120 of the circuits made up! (he is building a LSWR em Gauge layout) This is really the first time that he had seen a servo out and working. So looks like I have a few circuits to make up for him now!
Doug

Return to “Semaphore Signals”