Banner repeater signals

barhamd

Banner repeater signals

Postby barhamd » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Can anyone point me at some drawings of a banner repeater signal? I want to model one ~1950 so the sort with the rotating arm rather than lots of LEDs! I'm a bit unclear how they worked, was it that there was a stationary 'circle' of frosted glass with a pivoted bar behind it and a lamp? Was the pivoted bar moved by levers or magnets or what?

thanks
David Barham

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Banner repeater signals

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Drawings in Precision issue 3, its worth looking through our backnumbers sometimes ;) I knew this because Precision has been my bedtime reading the last few nights.
See http://www.scalefour.org/forum/s4-news.php, look down the bottom of the page for Precision 3, you need the centrefold drawing link..
I want to model one ~1950 so the sort with the rotating arm rather than lots of LEDs! I'm a bit unclear how they worked, was it that there was a stationary 'circle' of frosted glass with a pivoted bar behind it and a lamp?

Yes, older versions had an external lamp at the back with frosted glass at the back and clear glass at the front, the external lamp could be an oil lamp as shown in the above drawing or an electric lamp. Later versions had the lamp within the housing and thus did not need the rear glass, just the inside painted white to contrast with the arm.
Was the pivoted bar moved by levers or magnets or what?
Usually by a solenoid in the base of the unit. The arm was balanced so did not need much force to move it.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Drawings in Precision issue 3, its worth looking through our backnumbers sometimes ;) I knew this because Precision has been my bedtime reading the last few nights.

Ah, a cure for inmsomnia at last !! :twisted:

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 am

Many thanks for that. It will be a great help. I'm wanting to do a single unit rather than an a double and I suspect that by my time period (1950s) the oil lamp may have been replaced by electricity. I suspect this was just a case of removing the lamp and putting a bulb in the existing casing. It also seems that at this point the original frosted glass rear of the signal would just have been replaced with a metal sheet or painted white.

I found a couple of photos on http://www.tlr.ltd.uk/sigbox/news/news_2011.eb (scroll down to 'late April') but nothing that shows the rear view.

David Barham

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 pm

I suspect this was just a case of removing the lamp and putting a bulb in the existing casing.

Possible if you mean the lamp casing, but the ones I remember had a different lamp housing, much smaller and suitable for an electric lamp, ie held up on a piece of conduit, but no change to the arm casing

It also seems that at this point the original frosted glass rear of the signal would just have been replaced with a metal sheet or painted white.

I don't think this was done, the arm housings were not deep enough to hold a lamp, the later versions with internal lamps were much deeper. Early electric lamp versions still used external lamps and I would be pretty sure this applied to any conversions from oil.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I've been provided with some excellent pictures by 'Adrian the Rock'. Image and have now had a reasonable shot at making the working head.

bannner-head.JPG

All I have to do now is make the post and ladders etc...

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Semaphore Signals”