GWR Signals

Bulwell Hall

GWR Signals

Postby Bulwell Hall » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi all

The bracket signal shown here - perhaps as it's GWR it should be "shewn" - is intended for my model of Maiden Newton station and are the home signals controlling access from the Bridport branch to the mainline on the left and from the branch to the bay platform on the right. Pete Squibb made the wooden posts - which are quite exquisite - and the metal components are from etchings drawn by Martin Needham and marketed by David Geen.

The original signal was removed in the early 1950s and replaced with SR upper quadrent signals with rail built posts but fortunately there are a number of photographs with it visible in the background. As GWR dimensions were very standardised it is possible to calculate the height of the posts fairly accurately using dividers - the GWR arm including spectacle casting was 4ft long - and I think the finished result looks about right. The presence of a battery cabinet on the main post indicates that contact boxes were fitted at the top rear of the posts whilst painting details followed GWR practice. Construction of the model was intricate to say the least and I'm rather pleased that I don't have to do another!

Although Maiden Newton is being built to EM gauge I thought it OK to show a signal on the S4 Society website and I hope you like it!

Bulwell Hall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: GWR Signals

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Bulwell Hall wrote:
Although Maiden Newton is being built to EM gauge I thought it OK to show a signal on the S4 Society website and I hope you like it!

We like it very much :-)

And it's very welcome as well. It falls very squarely within the very first of the Objects of the Society, contained in the Constitution - "to bring together persons interested in railway modelling to 4mm fine scale standards".

You can't say (or shew!) better than that...

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Semaphore Signals”