Kyle of Lochalsh signalling

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Kyle of Lochalsh signalling

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:04 pm

42 is required to protect the passenger line, up line, from any unauthorised move from the turntable that might otherwise collide with a passenger train in the platform. It still needs to be Normal for this purpose while a train may be arriving via 43 Normal. Hence both should be Normal at the same time.

Of course you can always apply rule 1. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:04 pm

Ah of course Keith - many thanks again! That gives me a dilemma...

Thanks for explanation re Martin's usage of the terms. Maybe I'll have to bear that in mind if posting on Templot!

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:41 pm

If I'd not bothered to make the trap point operational nobody would know! But having done so I think it'll have to be signalled correctly. A trap of "getting it all right" perhaps!

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:Martin like to use the term "Catch point" on the basis that some permanent way drawings use that name, as the same physical item may be used as a catch point or as a trap point. However the BoT/MoT/RI requirements clearly distinguish between them and from the viewpoint of the Railway Operators and the Signal Engineers it is the usage that counts and thus yours are Trap points.

Sure. But Templot isn't about Operations or Signalling. It's about Permanent Way.

It would be daft to have two menu commands which both do exactly the same thing, one labelled Catch Points and the other labelled Trap Points.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:04 pm

The model layout will not be operated exactly prototypically, but it should appear to be. There won't be point locks, nor block instruments, but the intention is that the visible signals will have to be operated to allow any loco or train movement, apart from within the yard; and that trains will not be able to run unless signalled (on the main line)

The nine prototype signals and three points/crossovers account for 12 of the 15 levers required. The other three allow movements to take place to/from the fiddleyards. * I'm indebted to two people who have helped me on this. One of them, Keith, has kindly made this diagram that shows how the model is signalled, and the locking chart. He has made a new numbering, but in fact I'd already got well in hand on the layout with labelling and recording everything using the prototype numbering so will stick with that. Keith's numbering is in the same order as the prototype.

Kyle signalling sketch.PNG

Kyle Locking table.PNG

Kyle locking table-2.ods

20240111_085511.jpg

Here is the frame as it is at present. I have temporarily colour coded the numbers red for Down, Yellow for Up, and orange for single line, and since doing that find it much easier to use. The masking tape will be replaced by properly painted numbering in due course when the levers are painted the proper colours, so what system I use then as an aide-memoire remains open. (I happened to have chosen prototype signal numbers 3 and 31 for the 1 and 5 on the sketch)

* Signals 1 and 5 each perform the function of at least two signals on the prototype - they "read" both for the main line and yard. (There won't be any actual signals offstage.) Signal 15 I have labelled S for Stromeferry, the next block section. So clearing 15 or S is as if the Stromeferry Starter has been cleared. The 25 minutes travel time won't be modelled! (I happened to have previously chosen prototype signal numbers 3 and 31 for the 1 and 5 here)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Semaphore Signals”