Signals for Hessle Haven

mikemeg

Signals for Hessle Haven

Postby mikemeg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 am

Some years ago - perhaps nine or ten - I posted some details of a layout which I was building - Hessle Haven - based on a real place and as it appeared in mid 1950. Between then and now I left the Society for a number of years; not due to any disagreement or issue but simply due to not having done any modelling for a year or two and moving locale, etc.

Anyway, I have now rejoined the Society and, as a first posting, can I display a photograph or two of some of the signal models which I made for this same layout - Hessle Haven. All of these are scratch built - there are no etches for these prototypes - using brass 'L' angle (0.8 mm and 1.0 mm) and .87 mm x .005" nickel silver strip with parts from MSE. The lattice structures were all built on individually made jigs and from my own drawings which were scaled up from a variety of photographs of the prototypes.

Anyway, that's the history and the background; here are the photographs. Two signal gantries and a signal bridge, all of which once stood at this place- Hessle Haven.

And also, a photo of one of these things in build. This one, almost 100 feet total span, once stood at Scarborough's Londesborough Road station.

Oh, and in a very belated response to someone who once posed the question 'Who am I'; I am Mike Megginson from Scarborough.

But my real love is the building of 4mm locomotives, so perhaps I can post photos of some of those, in the appropriate topic area!

Cheers

Mike
Attachments
P1150004.JPG
P1160004.JPG
P1150003.JPG
P1050023.JPG

CornCrake

Re: Signals for Hessle Haven

Postby CornCrake » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Welcome back, and thank you.
I've just spent some pleasurable time reading a couple of your Hessle Haven topic on RMWeb, and discovered the wealth of historical photos and also useful contributions from a retired signalman.
Are you planning on building a 95 lever frame using the societies mk 2 kit?
Steve

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Good to see you back, Mike :)
Rod

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Good to see you back too Mike. Looking forward to another board or more appearing in due course.

If you (or indeed others) need etches for the NER heavy signal brackets - 2, 3 or 4 doll - contact me offline. There would be a wait, but I have done the artwork for them.
Mark Tatlow

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:51 am

I confess that whenever someone sends me a photo of one of these ex North Eastern McKenzie & Holland signal gantries or bridges, I am tempted to make a 4 mm drawing of it, lest I should ever decide to build it. My old mate Mick Nicholson - a retired signalman - seems to have an almost inexhaustible supply of photographs of these things, from all across the old NER, which he quite willingly shares.

Though these things were only ever a functional part of the railway infrastructure, they were very impressive and elegant things, spanning large distances and towering over the railway, with their intricate lattice structures based on the pratt truss. Another such signal bridge stood at Barlby West on the approaches to Selby, from Hull, but also signalling the up East Coast Main Line.

Establishing the dimensions of these things is not difficult as both the NER and McKenzie & Holland had a penchant for 3 inch increments i.e. 1' 6", 1' 9", etc. right up to 8 feet, on the lattice girder depths and lattice radii. Simlarly, the doll spacings and signal arms were of different, though uniformly different lengths.

When we were kids, watching the trains, we took no notice of these lovely structures; they would always be there! Of course, they would not always be there and now they are almost completely gone from the railway environment and it is, aesthetically, the poorer for their disappearance.

Anyway, here's how the models all start, with a 4 mm drawing; this of that Barlby West signal bridge. And doesn't the photo just encapsulate what we loved of the railway in the 1950's/early 1960's. Unusually, it is the signal bridge - or even, arguably, the platelayer's hut - which is the principal subject, not the train. And just note how tidy and well kept everything looks!

Cheers

Mike
Attachments
BARLBY 20.jpg
P2040031.JPG

Return to “Semaphore Signals”