A Dean's for Hallatrow

Dave K

A Dean's for Hallatrow

Postby Dave K » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 am

One of the photos I have of Hallatrow shows Dean Goods no.2395 with a goods train posed in the station c.1912. Fortunately some time ago I picked up a Mainline Dean Goods off a second hand stall at an exhibition. Some Sharman wheels were acquired at a Leatherhead Scaleforum so all that remained was a compensated chassis kit for the loco and tender, these being acquired from High Level.

Those who know me will know will know that loco billing is not my strong point so it has taken we some time to get to the point where I have a free running chassis, this point has finally been reached.

IMG 0617.jpg

IMG 0618.jpg

IMG 0625.jpg

Next is to add some pick-up to ensure it runs :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bulwell Hall

Re: A Dean's for Hallatrow

Postby Bulwell Hall » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:10 pm

A very nice project Dave and good to see that a Dean Goods will run on the Bristol & North Somerset line again!

I have a similar project underway myself although my Dean Goods will be built to EM standards - ahem! I recently obtained a photo of a Dean Goods at Weymouth engine shed in 1950 - to say the least I was puzzled as to what it was doing there so late in the day. When I quizzed Pete Squibb on the matter - he grew up in Dorset and remembers such things from his youth - he ventured the suggestion that it had worked empty vans from Bristol to Weymouth for use on 'Perpot' trains from Weymouth Quay. Bristol Bath Rd. had an allocation of Dean Goods at this time and their primary function was to work diverted main line passenger trains across the Severn Bridge when the Severn Tunnel was closed for routine maintenance - Severn Tunnel Junction had a similar allocation of Dean Goods for the same purpose. The Dean Goods class were the heaviest tender locomotives allowed over the bridge. Such work usually took place at weekends and at other times the BRD Dean Goods were used for any odd jobs that needed doing - hence the empty vans to Weymouth. The locos generally returned light engine to Bristol and Pete regularly saw them passing through Maiden Newton around 8.30am. On one occasion he saw Bulldog 4-4-0 'Blasius' run through light engine - guess who's kit I shall be buying at Scalefourum now that Martin Finney has announced his retirement!

Gerry

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 am

Bulwell Hall wrote: he ventured the suggestion that it had worked empty vans from Bristol to Weymouth for use on 'Perpot' trains from Weymouth Quay. Gerry

Gerry,

Pardon my ignorance but what was a 'Perpot' train

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:39 am

Sorry Dave - I should have explained a little more fully!

'Perpot' was the GWR telegraphic code for 'Special Perishable/Potato Train from Weymouth Quay'. These trains ran as required in connection with the Channel Islands trade - tomatoes from Guernsey and potatoes from Jersey. When a vessel arrived at Weymouth from the Islands with such a cargo trains of fitted vans would be worked away from the Quay to various inland destinations for distribution and due to the perishable nature of the consignments the trains ran under Class C headlamps often with a Hall, Grange or 28xx as motive power. Obviously the traffic was seasonal and trains of fitted vans would be assembled and worked empty to Weymouth in advance of the vessel arriving - they would be stabled in the Jersey Sidings to the north of the station before being worked down to the Quay for loading - such was the service once offered by Britain's railways! Sadly the Guernsey tomato trade is now defunct with many of the glasshouses either demolished or derelict. Jersey Royals remain popular though but they no longer arrive in the UK via Weymouth.

Hope this is of interest and sorry to deviate from your Dean Goods thread!

Gerry

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Just watched the "Titfield Thunderbolt" again, and in the "extras" is some 16mm movie of a Dean Goods running light on the Camerton Branch, so that's about 1951-2.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:50 pm

I have built a couple of High Level's chassis kits and found them very well thought out and engineered although requiring time and patience to assemble. I fancy the Dean Goods myself, care to share any observations on its construction Dave?

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:57 am

steve howe wrote:I have built a couple of High Level's chassis kits and found them very well thought out and engineered although requiring time and patience to assemble. I fancy the Dean Goods myself, care to share any observations on its construction Dave?

Steve,

I don't know which High Level kit(s) you've built, or your building method i.e. building as per the manufactures instructions or using them as a guide, but the only problems I've found with this one is:

1. The instructions state you should paint the chassis before adding wheels and gearbox.
2. The gearbox final gear on the drive axel does not have a grub screw but has to be glued.
3. There are two bars, the inner pull rods associated with the brake rodding, which go across the bottom of the rear driving wheel, therefore with these in place if you wish to remove this wheel set you have to take a wheel off and then re-quarter the loco.

I will be bring the loco along to Scaleforum so if you are there you can have a look at it.

essdee

Postby essdee » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Dave,

So far, I have only built High Level's Neilson pug kit ( a Black Hawthorn chassis is currently under modification (heresy?!) for an SDJR 0-4-0ST project), but Chris had neatly provided for a removable brake gear assembly in the Neilson. Has he not done the same for the Dean Goods chassis? That would remove the problem of wheelset dropping.

BW

Steve

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:16 pm

essdee wrote:but Chris had neatly provided for a removable brake gear assembly in the Neilson. Has he not done the same for the Dean Goods chassis? That would remove the problem of wheelset dropping.

Steve,

Yes, Chris has provided removable brake gear, however the Dean's has outer and inner brake push rods from the Brake Cylinder to the brake hanger on the rear driver. I've added another photo of the loco chassis showing the underside which I hope makes it clear.

IMG-0628.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dave K”