A Type 7 Signal Box

Dave K

A Type 7 Signal Box

Postby Dave K » Sat May 10, 2014 10:15 am

When the Great Western extended of the Camerton branch to Limpley Stoke in 1909 they applied to the Board of Trade to convert Hallatrow into a passing place. The enlarge layout required a new and larger signal box to be built, originally a Saxby & Farmer box existed. As a result a Great Western Type 7 box was built with 55 working and 12 spare levers and opened in September 1909.

As my model of Hallatrow depicts the station before the footbridge was built and after the re-modelling, i.e. late 1909 - 1910, the type 7 box is required. As I don't have a plan of the box I did not fancy photo brick counting but I chose to use the is a plan of the Bishops Lydeard in the book on the West Somerset Line - The Minehead Branch. The plan was re-scaled to 4mm and and a mock up made to see how it would look on the layout. This proved to be not imposing enough, Bishops Lydeard box only had/has 33 leavers whereas Hallatrow's had 62.But by cutting and pasting the plan an additional 2 windows are added, making a better looking mock up.

IMG_0534 - 800px.jpg

IMG_0538 - 800px.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave K

More work on the signal box

Postby Dave K » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:17 am

The roofer have finally completed the signal box roof.

IMG 0624.jpg

I now have to work on the interior, fortunately whilst in Somerset this August I was luckily enough to have permission to visit Bishops Lydeard and Blue Anchor boxes on the West Somerset and got some interior photos.

IMG 0579.jpg

IMG 0581.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: More work on the signal box

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 am

Looking good Dave. At this rate the layout will soon be finished :o :D and we will have to have it at Scaleforum. :D :D I am sure you would be able to do your usual Scaleforum duties as well as running the layout. ;)

Terry Bendall

Dave K

Re: More work on the signal box

Postby Dave K » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 am

Terry Bendall wrote:and we will have to have it at Scaleforum.

Terry,

You will have to negotiate that with a fellow ticket seller/exhibition manager.

Return to “Dave K”