The Socially-Distanced Challenge

Dave K

The Socially-Distanced Challenge

Postby Dave K » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:38 pm

if you refer to https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6843&start=25#p74929 you will have seen that it was my intension to build a Great Western Mink C dig. V7 (a 21' wooden vacuum fitted van with louvers and shutters ends) for my entry using a Colin Ashby kit and a Morgan Design underframe.

V7.jpeg

The ends with the kit has the shutters closed but I wanted to have them half open and was going to use some from a CooperCraft louvered end kits as replacement. However the CooperCraft standard end did not match up with those in the kit.

Mink B ends.jpg

On researching I found that the drawing of the Mink C in Tourret's 'Great Western Wagons' and another, in Russell's ''GW wagon plans book both show an internal height of 7' 6½" (the standard height for GW vans). However, on checking it turns out the drawings of three 21' van (dig. V2, 3 and 7) are all the same height, all for vans with an internal height of 8' 0½" tall. I then found an article in the Great Western Study Group's journal 'Pannier' by John Lewis on Minks B, C and D. It seems that the first batch on the dig. V3's were 8' 0½" tall but the second batch and the dig. V7's were all standard height, i.e. 7' 6½". The article also throws some light on the types of brakes on Mink B's and C's from which it seems that the Mink B's started of with DC2 and 8 shoe clasp brakes or 4 shoe push rods, they were converted to DC3 from 1939. The Morgan Design underframe, available from the Society stores provides kits for both versions.

So I'm intending slightly altering my Socially-Distanced Challenge entry as a dig. V3 (Mink B) with 8' 0" ends and with 4 brake shoes and push-rods.

V3.jpeg

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dave K on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dave K

Re: The Socially-Distanced Challenge

Postby Dave K » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Basic Body and Chassis

Its been some time since I've done any work on the Mink B but now I've completed the body and basic chassis. The body proved a little complicated as the sides and ends were from two different manufacturers who used different plastics. As a result the usual Mek-Pac was not adequate, therefore I had to resort to Butanone.

IMG_1178.jpeg

So far only the basics of the Morgan Design chassis kit has been done, suspension unit fitted together with Exacoscale through bearings.

IMG_1180.jpeg

Next job to make the brake units and DC2 brake gear.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dave K”