Quiet day at the mill...

Moderator: nigelcliffe

nigelcliffe

Quiet day at the mill...

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:04 pm

The white balance is a bit wrong, the grass isn't anything like a lurid as these pictures suggest !

The chap busy "working" on the mill steps needs painting, and the crossing keeper's garden is just bare earth at present (waiting for the veg to germinate ).

I have done a little photoshopping to the backgrounds to paint out bits of work-shop clutter.

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

All three taken on June 6th 2014 during the regular group "work-in" session. We hope to take the new longer form of Coldfair Green to a few exhibitions in 2015.

- Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beachboy

Re: Quiet day at the mill...

Postby beachboy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Nigel,

I like your Mill. The building has lots of character.
What sort of trade is loaded or delivered.
Also, do you open the mill siding gate by hand; and what wire do you use for the metal fence posts please?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:29 pm

Steve,

I'm pretty certain the mill is one of Dick Kimmerling's; the level crossing cottage is one of his. The mill is based on a real building, though I cannot remember exactly where (and the crossing cottage is standard "East Suffolk"). The mill's work is unspecified agricultural produce, so probably mostly seed, perhaps a little fertilizer, maybe handling a bit of product (grain for malting?). Its not big enough to be a maltings.

The gate on the mill siding is currently manual, so during operations it is worked in a typically lax rural manner; it is just left open ! It may get a motor one day using a simpler version of the level crossing mechanism (see viewtopic.php?f=108&t=3706 ).

The metal fence posts are etched, can't remember which maker. The wire is "invisible mending thread", which is a grey colour, very fine and hard to see. Threaded by hand (its tedious) and tied off in various places behind the big wooden straining posts.

- Nigel

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Lovely modelling - very atmospheric. Couldn't really be anywhere else but on the 'Old Sweedy' and just needs a J15 to complete the scene.

Gerry

swedeyboy

Postby swedeyboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Fence posts are by Ambis, they are etched as a 'fold back' affair, but we achieved better alignment of the holes by soldering 2 back to back and then chopping them in half. With 5 holes in each finished fence post it is definitely a fiddly job threading up the entire run of fence.

Return to “Norfolk & Suffolk Area Group”