Highbridge cooked

Paul Townsend

Highbridge cooked

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Some of you know that my modelling has taken a back seat for some 3 months.
Early in that time we had a heat wave in, ISTR, June.

Highbridge had its first 35 years of life in a Victorian basemnent with remarkable stable temperature roughly in range 15 -25 C so fault incidence was low.

We moved here 5 years ago and the layout is now at the bottom of the garden in a "Garden Office".

After its first summer here I was beset by a moderate number of faults relating to closed up rail joints, broken Brook-Smith solder-to-rivets and a few dropper wires gone O/C. Max temp was in low 30s C. Winter heater ensures min is 8 C

So 3 years ago I installed a plumbed-in single unit portable air con which kept max below 28 C for 2.5 summers.

While I was poorly in June I naively trusted the thermostat but at end of heatwave visited to turn off the aircon......shock horror it had gone into heat mode and max was then 40C.

I killed it, locked up and went away to sulk.

Quite soon, I will be strong enough to revisit, test and list the faults. At least it should now be feasible to have some chums in to help.....

Tim V

Re: Highbridge cooked

Postby Tim V » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Technology!

Visited my workshop/garage, temperature at 26C, but it is brick built ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 am

No good to read that Paul, I hope things will be where they should be and operational. Hopefully you can get into some other Modelling in the short term.

I have been having my modelling mojo varying terribly and can't stick to one thing. So the work bench is a disaster area. There is 2 V2's, a J26, parts of a wagon and part dumping ground. It will change but the question is when :shock:

All the best

Doug
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:22 am

The current mini heatwave is enough that I would usually have enabled the air-conn.

I haven’t as I can’t trust it.

It’s out of warranty but when my frame of mind allows me to contact the manufacturer without swearing I will ask them about likely cause of the fault and seek remedial advice.

A back up thermostat seems essential to shut down the aircon cooler if overheating !
Yes I do have plenty of modelling todo while I summon the strength to debug cooked Highbridge, but certain chums are champing to play trains again.

Being vulnerable and having a super-vulnerable wife I must devise a Covid safe regime ASAP.
It’s 18 months since the last operating session with chums…..we all have withdrawal symptoms.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:50 pm

Very sorry to hear about your heat related troubles, Paul. Concerned a bit too as we have just started to lay PCB based track on the storage areas of the new railway. I noticed a while back that some of the joints had closed up a bit, so increased the gaps on the next sections. Possibly PCB track, being fairly rigid, might be less susceptible to expansion but I am not convinced.

The railway room doesn’t seem to suffer from the extremes of temperature that you’ve experienced but I must admit to not having actually measured it. I’ve not needed to resort to air conditioning yet but thanks for the warning.

I hope you can sort the repairs out soon and start enjoying running trains again.

Philip

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:57 am

I had the same problem with Barrow Road the first hot summer we had after all the track was laid. While the temperature was still high I loosened the boards one at a time and filed the rail ends so there was a minimal gap at each board joint after re-tightening them.
I not had a problem since.

Robin

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:11 am

Paul,
During a hot summer, a few years ago, what I would call heat expansion lifting occurred at a few places on a fiddle yard built with PCB sleepers. A bit of rough and ready gapping with an abrasive wheel allowed the track to subside into contact with the cork trackbed.

I cannot report on long term effects because the yard has been somewhat neglected since, [due to life; distractions etc. . . ]

It will be interesting to read about your remedial activity.

It is also good to read that you are recovering well.

Cheerydoo,
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:52 pm

It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity. I’ve had a similar experience with my home layout which resided in the basement of a previous house As the heating season kicked in and the framework dried out, solder joints on curves will often pop and once redone would be good until summer arrived and the humidity came back and the woodwork swelled. Our new place is more stable in that regard and the problem has disappeared (touch wood). FWIW I’ve seen the same thing happen to a variety of layouts over here with interesting effects such as a section of flex track that originally described a smooth curve turning into something that resembled a sine wave.

Cheers,

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:08 pm

We exhibited "Grinding Hault" at Lytham St Anns some (Ok many) years ago and had a pitch right under a glass roof light. The weather was beautiful, and the sun shone on the layout all day. Short circuits became a significant problem. Almost all where gaps that disappeared between rail ends. By the time we had carefully sawn through all these joints we were back in business and we never had that problem again.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:28 pm

David Knight wrote:It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity. . .

David,
I do not for a moment doubt your diagnosis of the warped layout problem in your basement.

However, I firmly stand by my diagnosis of the cause of the rails lifting due to summer heat rail expansion closing the joint gaps, in my perfectly dry railway room above my garage. It was a very hot summer in these parts
LesG

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:13 am

Due to my internal dropper wire gradually failing over Nov 2020 to Aug 26 2021, I was progressively inhibited to do anything. Around mid summer, one of the faints found me waking up on the floor of my Dartmouth room where I was working, standing up, on a recalcitrant common crossing.
I was out for probably less than a minute but was aware of a leg having pulled the solder iron, hot, onto the floor and awaking with scalpel in hand. Clearly I had become a danger to everyone so stopped tool wealding entirely.
The heat wave and air- con failure was after that while my activity level shrank to only sitting reading all day. Over the two months mid June to Aug 26th, muscles were un exercised so weakness increased.

The pacemaker has totally reversed the decline, physically and emotionally so now at day 10 post op I am fully re - Mojod and regaining vigour. Family support and medical care has been fantastic ( Now I know why having 4 adult offspring was a really good plan ).
Currently son 1 is in handover to son 3 who flew in from his home in Tuscany yesterday and is in residence here to Sept 21.

During his carer tenure, I will power up Highbridge, run some trains and list faults. Hopefully, before end of September we will feel it is COVID safe to receive the two prime Highbridge assistants, Tim Merry and Dave Easto, again. They will want to help with any repairs so they can play trains again. I know many of the BS4 AG are champing for an operating visit again……first since Feb 2020, and will help with repairs too.

I will report progress on Highbridge repairs ASAP. Once HB is fully operational again, I will return to the recalcitrant crossing in Dartmouth and resume track trials/debugging so working towards half-chairs + Butanone installation, rail painting, ballasting, basic scenery etc.

In theory I have an exhibition date at RailWells on Aug 2022 for Dartmouth’s second showing as layout-under-construction…….Chris Challis and COVID permitting of course. The first exposure was Scaleforum 2019 ISTR…….what a long time ago!

In the meantime, Highbridge operating sessions and Dartmouth construction will resume
so maintaining my sanity.
Watch this space :thumb

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:40 am

:thumb
LesG

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi Paul.

Good to know your on the mend. Hopefully the problems with Highbridge won't be as great as you fear.
All the best
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:37 am

Tony,
Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.
I have been following your thread re Brimsdown and enjoying your achievements/frustrations/problem solving etc. There are many parallels with my own "Last Grand Project" aka Dartmouth and your tenacity has boosted me over some low points.

I am sure I have seen you at exhibitions over the decades but can't claim to know you for a face to face conversation.....something to look forward to.

I have had so many kind messages from extended family, close friends, who are mostly MR Fiends, and many more acquaintainces in the MR fraternity, mustn't forget one from Kelly too, and all these are wonderfully uplifting.

Somehow, good wishes from a "stranger" carries even more weight than from a friend :thumb

Sylvia, who has taken a hammering from my decline since June, and Ben, our third son who flew in from his home in the Mugello, Tuscany for a fortnight of caring duties are restoring me steadily. Patrick from Somerset has been prime supporter for three weeks has gone home to "enjoy" 4 days self isolation pending the surgery for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, first wrist on Friday. A certain important S4 Socy member has kept us in BS4 informed over zoom about his batch of CTS surgery and recovery....brave and patient chap. Our daughter from far NE Scotland has several times driven the 1250 miles return trip to help and is a brilliant organiser for ancients and her brothers.

High spots in my lovely recent life since coming home from hospital on Sept 2nd:
Monday last, Sept 6th removal of first dressing. Wayhay...celebrated with Prosecco andf first shower since Aug26th. Phew!
Thursday Sept 8th......hearing test and committed to super new bluetooth hearing aids. Followed by my first face to face with BS4 chums since Feb 2020. Great to see real bods again in a pub, washed down by a couple of pints of super local IPA ex cask instead of bottled gnatspiss.....all done courtesy of Uber.
At last a restoration to the normal way of life in BS4which requires winding up of EditorTim and testing his fuse length.
This latter witnessed by newby Paul Willis who is nearly overwhelmed by BS4 repartee but is growing in expertise!

Friday last Sept 10th Removal of all dressings and Steristrips. (Comment by nurse: What a lovely wound !!!! )
Arrival of Ben, yet more Prosecco ....
Now sleeping much better...pain gone, little discomfort unless lying on the implant.
Starting to feel robust again, prepping for a walk in the woods this afternoon, hopefully a mile or so, then increasing distance each day. Must get back to my previous 8-10 mile capacity.
Things to look forward to in next few weeks:
1. Tuesday Sept 14th visit to optician for new specs. Current pair much damaged by numerous faints and bashing my face on the floor.
2. Accompanied visit to fire up Highbidge and assess overcooking damage....def this week.
3. Oct 5th PaceMaker checks...possible slight tweak to my program. Release from bondage and permission to drive again.
3. Oct 6th, Motorhome MOT and retaxing ( been sorned for months )
4. Oct 8th - 10th Weekend away in Hereford with Sylvia. I expect to drive the Yaris, 2 hotel nights and fun for her at Kilvert Society AGM and entertainment/information talks re the late Rev Francis Kilvert weekend. More walks, pub grub and real ale for me.
5. Early in October.....a few days away in Motorhome and restoration of Highbridge to normal service. Early visit from Tim and Dave to play trains......first since Feb 2020.....permission has been finally granted by SWMBO.
6. ASAP thereafter, all BS4 group along to play trains again. Lets hope Covid resurgence does not screw that.
7. Return to building Dartmouth asap when Highbridge issues are under control. I took myself OOS in June due to fainting hazards.....the job then current needs completion. I had to remove a recalcitrant common crossing from the middle of the most complex set of turnouts......I will provide a diagram and report in a separate thread re Dartmouth.

Onwards and upwards :thumb

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:19 am

Last week was mega busy, catching up with life-stuff that needed urgent attention...dead boring but unavoidable :shock:

So Tim arrived for his first Friday evening visit to Highbridge since Feb 2020 and brought back several of his locos and a box full of newly built "Covid" wagons and a BG loco he has been building for Dartmouth.

After a chums' catchup chat we trundled down to Highbridge, had a bit of a tidy up and powered up the layout for the first time since the July over-cooking.

The station control panel fired up OK with lots of leds, as did the DCC system which showed some shorts where I left tools on the track!! Those were easily dealt with.

Now a strong electrical overheating pong filled the shed, and the Fiddle control panel has no leds lit... :twisted:

After a few basic meter tests and hunt for spirals of smoke I shut down and we retreated to the house. Dealing with such techy faults is best done alone when I am fresh, not late in the evening.

We fixed the next meet for 2 weeks time as we are AWOL in Hereford for a long next weekend....Sylvia's Kilvert Society annual meetup, also long postponed. Meanwhile I will trace the failed CP leds fault and attempt to run trains again.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:30 am

Good luck with the fault-finding Paul.

Out of curiosity I just looked up Kilvert Society - well, you learn something new every day!
Rod

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 am

This saga continues in new thread "Highbridge Resurgent"

Return to “Paul Townsend”