Fiddle yard TOUs

Paul Townsend

Fiddle yard TOUs

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Highbridge is acquiring an additional fiddle yard for Glastonbury/Evercreech junction to reduce congestion in the original S&DJR FY which combined with Burnham.

All previous turnouts (80 odd ) are operated by Po relays via clones of the original Studiolith TOU and the whole works is sub board in FY or scenic areas.

The new FY is rather crowded below due to unusual structure bracings, forced by the location. Thus I decided to use Servos with Merg drivers and simplest homebrew mounts all above baseboard as these are much smaller.

The 6 turnouts are all laid and fixed on 3mm foam, track remains Brook-Smith ply and rivet with increased sleeper spacing in FY.

This idiot didn't think through carefully the TOU mechanics before track laying and now has problems retro-fitting. I tried the old 00 moving sleeper with PCB and then with a ply sleeper but am struggling to get a good flexible connection from blades to the sliding sleeper.

Due crowding some servos will be remote from TOU via cranks and wire in tube.

In part the problem I have created is how to get a sleeper under the track blades when end access is too tight.

Perhaps there is a better way not requiring full length sleepers as tie bars so I can hang 2 components below the blades and join them afterwards. Appearance is not an issue as this is FY, but reliability is.

Any suggestions welcome!

John Fitton

Re: Fiddle yard TOUs

Postby John Fitton » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

I did the same thing with my 20 turnouts in my (concealed) yard as well. Glued all the track down, then had to find a solution. I solder a piece of brass wire, approx 1 mm dia, and 1 cm long, to inside of point blade; 4 mm soldered, 6 mm exposed, then bent exposed 6 mm section through 90 degrees down. This engages into a small hole drilled into a wooden sleeper. Both blades engage well, have used this for three years with no failures. the hole allows for flexibility when operating turnout. I dont have any pics, will attempt to get some tonight after work. I use under baseboard fulgurex motors, complete with sound effects (!)

john fitton

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:03 pm

jf2682 wrote:Glued all the track down, then had to find a solution.

john fitton

Well maybe if I can get a sleeper into the tight space illustrated.
AUT_7308.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Could drive a bus through that gap!

Why not use a copperclad sleeper with pivots - like Norman Solomon in MRJ151?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Paul,
I use 0.6 mm thick copperclad turned on its side, (From C&L) as a stretched bar suitable gapped. The link between the stretcher bar and the point blades is made from bent 10 thou guitar string.

Gordon A
Bristol

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm

An alternative is to tweak the blades to spring open and then just use a stretcher bar that pushes them closed, that way there is no need to attach it to the blades at all. This technique is used by Andy Reichert for his P87 offerings and I have one such on my test track which has been a success. I have just built a set of 5 points for a new storage board that I am intending to use the same method on, although its going to be sometime before they are laid in.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Paul Townsend”