Highbridge Lighting

Paul Townsend

Highbridge Lighting

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:07 am

Having such success with LED strips over Dartmouth I have moved the lighting rig in Highbridge to its MkIII incarnation.
This uses the same as Dartmouth and is so much better than the 12v led spots and floods so we have removed most of those to redeploy arounmd the sheds in the garden etc.

steve howe

Re: Highbridge Lighting

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:30 pm

Hi Paul,
I'm looking into putting LED or COB strip over Watermouth. Brian Lewis' article in the current Snooze gives some specifications of what he used. What did you use and who did you obtain them from?

Thanks
Steve

Paul Townsend

Re: Highbridge Lighting

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 am

steve howe wrote:Hi Paul, via LEDHUT
I'm looking into putting LED or COB strip over Watermouth. Brian Lewis' article in the current Snooze gives some specifications of what he used. What did you use and who did you obtain them from?

Thanks
Steve

Cob strips look interesting but were not available when I was buying in 2021.
If their price is higher than led strips they would have to have improved performance in efficiency and/or colour rendition to justify that.
In our application "spottiness" is not an issue.

For Dartmouth I used 3 led strips mounted onto PVC angle supported inside aluminium angle. This allows me to tweak the angle of the lights while maintaining a vertical front face to the pelmet. The 8.2M layout is covered by 3 sections of 2.7M each. These hang from just 4 gallows mounted behind the layout so no front supports to get in viewers' way.

The led strips are 2 x warmwhite and 1 x cool white with quoted CRI over 90% each. Mixing the strips helps lift the resultant CRI higher still.All are 12volt 5050 by Lumilife via LEDHUT and give 3000 lumen/Metre mounted 700mm above the baseboards. Power is delivered by a 12v 33Amp SMPS £23 off Ebay. I housed this in an outer box for safety and to ease connectors and cabling.
Provision is made for me to add three dimmers later so I can reduce light levels and alter the colour temperature.

Care needs to be taken with the cabling due to the high currents involved, the detailed design MUST be done by someone qualified in electrics else fire hazards will arise.

Technology moves on so more recently Highbridge is fitted with improved strips. Their higher ouput requires mounting directly onto ally angle to act as heatsink. As it is not an exhibitable layout the ally angle lengths hang from the ceiling. This rig uses 24volts so less heavy current, although the bigger layour requires more strips.

These strips are the same make but even better performance and some 9 months on it is likely that even better strips have appeared.
You need to be sure that the voltage and current/Metre is quoted, also the Lumens/Metre and CRI over 90%, get highest available CRI.

Avoid led strips on Ebay from amateur vendors. They won't have a tech spec quoted and are likely factory rejects.

Return to “Paul Townsend”