Re: Tim V's workbench - latest shenanigans

nberrington

Re: Tim V's workbench - DCC couplings

Postby nberrington » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Here's the ticket...

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/
The "Flyshunter" under gearboxes. Chris' usual genius designs.

NB

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Regrettably, the flyshunter (as opposed to his lo-riders), does not incorporate any compensation.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 am

Noel wrote:Yes Bill, but could he [or any of us] get his wagons all to accelerate and decelerate at virtually identical rates? If not, then wagons will either stop too soon or too late.

… Just as they did on the real railway…….

but do tell me how are these motorised wagon supposed to work in a train? are they all going to be fitted with clutches on the drive train? or maybe you think you could match the speed of a whole load of wagons to to that of the loco? and that's not even thinking about the current draw of multiple motors.

It all sounds about as prototypical as faces on locos……..

Tim V

Re: Tim V's workbench - Painting (at last)

Postby Tim V » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:44 am

At last some sunshine, and reasonably calm weather means I've finally got the airbrush out to do some painting. I didn't do any airbrushing last year thanks to the weather.
IMG_4954.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

It's very hot, so I'm sat in the cool in the garage, with the workbench outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Looks like a nice spot to sit and do some modelling, Tim. I have always found I get more modelling down in summer than in winter. I seem to be proving that at the moment....can't find a spare hour or two to build my latest project.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:17 pm

We didn't get much summer last year.

The rest of the garden is a disaster area :)
Tim V

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Seeing your pics made me reflect as I use the workmate / laminate board outdoors for all sorts of modelling, base boards, & painting as often its warmer outside than indoors these days, plus the natural light. Which can reveal colours to be different shades than under a strip lights, even the daylight version.

But I have a Next digital travel clock that has a built in thermometer. Whilst the forecast air temp. has been 20deg., the clock thing has shown on occassion 31C, being a sheltered patio area. So have kept the paint well covered, or mix inside b4 going into the a/brush.

Once built a Scalextric layout outside in the sun. Measured the track, cut the board, then puzzled why 4 pieces of track was then another half inch longer and didn't fit.

Steve.

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

beachboy wrote:I use the workmate / laminate board

thass not a real workmate ;)

I have one of the original cast aluminium ones that has two possible work heights as well as one like yours which is a pain to fold up for storage.

Tim V

Re: Tim V's workbench - Planning

Postby Tim V » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 pm

You may have seen that Gordon Ashton & I are running the loco demonstration/help desk. I've been looking at the jigs available for chassis construction, and I quite like these Kean Maygib jigs. Here I'm using the EM version which is 13.26mm wide. By putting in etched washers (found some in etch scrap), I've increased their width to 14.3mm. I can't use the full width on Clutton, as building the frames that wide restricts their running to virtually straight track with my preferred Brassmaster's axleboxes. Shown here in a set of Comet frames.
IMG_5326.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Tim,

Your comments in your last post about not being able to go to the full chassis width puzzle me? What is wrong with the design of your favourite axleboxes which prevents them from being fitted to a frame spaced at the correct width for P4? Is this situation peculiar to this paticular brand of axleboxes, or are there other makes which present such problems, and if so, how do we know which requires a modified frame?

Dave H :?:

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:44 pm

Dave,
The Brassmaster's box, also used by Comet has grooves at the sides meant to slide on frame slots, so part of the box has to be outside the frames. Most other varieties, eg those from High Level or London Rd. are designed to fit flush with the outside of the frames. This sort of info is available from the various suppliers websites where there are usually illustrations or downloadable instructions.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for that info Keith

Dave H

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Tim's locos are also designed to go round 3ft radius curves that are on the two ends of Clutton, so a bit more side play may be neaded depending on the wheel base of individual locos.

Gordon A
Bristol

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:38 pm

DaveHarris wrote:Tim,

Your comments in your last post about not being able to go to the full chassis width puzzle me? What is wrong with the design of your favourite axleboxes which prevents them from being fitted to a frame spaced at the correct width for P4? Is this situation peculiar to this paticular brand of axleboxes, or are there other makes which present such problems, and if so, how do we know which requires a modified frame?

Dave H :?:

There are also plenty of examples of other modeller's locos being tried on Clutton, they fail to get round the 3' curves.

Some of my older models have full width frames, but I used Exactoscale hornblocks in them, plus extra sideplay. I no longer use those, preferring Brassmasters. A drawing of the hornblock is on the CLAG sight, and is in an older Snooze.
Tim V

RJL56

Postby RJL56 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi Tim, you could always use MY Myford to make similar spacers to your own dimensions.
Just been to the new Myford shop and spent a virtual £4000 on a brand new Super 7. Didn't help calling into HPC half an hour later and spending another virtual £3000 on a laser! + VAT as there was someone next to me who shall not be mentioned.
Richard

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Do you get a real lathe for virtual money? Maybe I should try that.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:25 am

Keith,
The Myford shop is definitely worth a visit if you are in to lathes etc.
Staff were helpful and friendly.
All parts and prices should be listed on their web site.
I think there is VAT to add on to the price Richard L quoted.

Gordon A
Bristol

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm

RJL56 wrote:Hi Tim, you could always use MY Myford to make similar spacers to your own dimensions.
Just been to the new Myford shop and spent a virtual £4000 on a brand new Super 7. Didn't help calling into HPC half an hour later and spending another virtual £3000 on a laser! + VAT as there was someone next to me who shall not be mentioned.
Richard

So, are you going to be on hand to take the lathe into Scaleforum, so I can demonstrate how to make frame jigs.... I seem to remember the last time we moved the Myford, there was much groaning :!:
Tim V

Tim V

Re: Tim V's workbench - S4M purchase

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 am

The acquisition of a 2251 body from Justin, plus a Comet chassis and High Level gearbox over the weekend has prompted the progress today (on my recovery day from the show).

Now I know that High Level do a chassis for the 2251, but that would mean me learning new techniques (or re-learning old techniques I abandoned a long time ago, I don't know), so I preferred my regular method - as I explained on the demo to anyone who would listen.
IMG_5425.JPG

The frames are out and the rear one cleaned up. I'm not happy with the lack of material over the front hornblock opening, so I've cut out some semicircles to solder over top.
Tim V

Tim V

Re: Tim V's workbench - Telegraph poles

Postby Tim V » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Currently working on some Michael Clark Masokits telegraph cross arms. These things are just boring to assemble. However they are replacing some plastic ones that have become damaged over the years. So I hope these last longer!
IMG_5651.JPG
Tim V

Tim V

Re: Tim V's workbench

Postby Tim V » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:17 pm

I've been through a very quiet time recently, and haven't done much modelling.

Then I realised as I dropped yet another small item onto the floor in one of my brief modelling phases, that I needed one of those jeweller's aprons. I can't remember where I read about them, but they catch gold filings (for example). Save all those hours grubbing about on the floor :!:

Well I can't afford a proper leather one, but a carpenter's apron was sitting unused in the garage, so I've clipped that to the workbench as a trial. So far nothing has been caught, but I'm amazed at the extra confidence it brings to one's modelling.
Tim V

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Till you forget about it and stand up, I hope your clips let go easily.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:17 pm

I've done an apron up from a cheap item my wife purchased at a dollar store using velcro on the bottom corners and corresponding tabs on the bench. It works as advertised and saves a lot of time but as Keith says, you do have to be careful if the phone rings ;)

Cheers,

David

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Just wearing an apron is a big win, from my experience. I don't clip mine anywhere, and it still routinely saves many things from the carpet. Well worth putting on for that reason alone.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Umm, but I find things bounce off and into the clutches of the Carpet God, never to be seen again. This way, the apron makes a bowl shape, the better to catch items. It works, as I dropped a piece of 0.33mm wire (twice) just now!
Tim V

Return to “Tim V”