Re: Tim V's workbench - latest shenanigans

Tim V

Re: Tim V's workbench - broad gauge tomfoolery

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Frames cut out, motor assembled, body soldered together. It's a very crude kit.
IMG_0606[1].JPG

IMG_0605[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat May 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Started on the loco frames - which it looks like I will have to scratchbuild. Unfortunately my preferred hornblocks are too wide (conflict with the frame cutouts), so I've found some old Maygib ones (never throw anything away) which are much narrower.
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat May 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Started by making the axles. First step - find some 1/8" steel. Phew, I've got some.

IMG_0637[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 pm

Posting this picture from one of my previous projects (the 45XX), as a reply to a PM.
IMG_0658[1].JPG
Tim V

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Wot no progress on BG tomfoolery in 10 weeks?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Lockdown!!
Tim V

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Tim V wrote:Lockdown!!

What has that got to do with modelling progress?

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:03 pm

These old kits can be challenging in the light of today's offerings. I am just in the process of completing a Mallard 'Barnum' started about 40 years ago by my old mate and mentor Pat English, sadly no longer with us. He gave up on it when he couldn't find a motor to fit without compromising the cab. Fortunately Mr Gibbon has come to the rescue with one of his magic gearboxes. I decided to install (non-working) inside motion (Finney parts) without realising the frames were built to EM width....and a big frame spacer was right in the way.... sometimes its easier to just start from scratch!

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Deadline for the socially distanced challenge is - wait for it - currently Scalefour North. Months away. I am allowed to indulge in other projects, and answer questions :D
Tim V

David B

Postby David B » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Want to start a book as to whether Scalefour North 2021 actually takes place?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 pm

David B wrote:Want to start a book as to whether Scalefour North 2021 actually takes place?

Always the optimist David!
Tim V

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm

David B wrote:Want to start a book as to whether Scalefour North 2021 actually takes place?

Waiting for Godot...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:26 pm

It would appear that some venues have already cancelled bookings for 2021(model railway and other) exhibitions. The ones I am aware of are in colleges and schools, so Scalefour North might well be at risk.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:24 pm

jon price wrote:The ones I am aware of are in colleges and schools, so Scalefour North might well be at risk.

It might, but then again it might not. At the moment the venue is confirmed and booked. Unless you have a crystal ball or a time machine none of us will know what will happen in the future. I suggest that we keep positive about it and look forward to seeing fine model making and our friends at some stage in the future. :thumb

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I've acquired one of those Hornby W4s.

Pecket W4 No.580 worked at Clutton (my retired exhibition layout) from 1894 when it was new to 1921. So I had to have one. It is a very cute engine.

I acquired one of Gordon Ashton's chassis to convert one, but the incorrect wheels put me off a bit. Plus it needs a motor and gearbox (I understand that David Lane is mastering some proper wheels). I was thinking of scratchbuilding some wheels, utilising some wagon wheel tyres - but they need 11 spokes, I haven't checked my division wheel to see if it covers 11.

So that left Bernie Baker's idea of converting the existing chassis (S4N 215). A quick skim on the wheels (on the Unimat), fitted the wagon wheel tyres (0.4mm difference on diameter). Longest time was taken fiddling with the motion bracket, there isn't a lot of room behind the crosshead.

Result one converted Peckett, as smooth running as the original Hornby (which was very smooth in OO), for Zero extra cost over the RTR model.
IMG_0771[1].JPG
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Tim V wrote:Here is my latest project. It's the new replacement chassis for the Bachmann 45XX from Comet.

Quite neatly etched in nickel silver, a typical Comet kit, no frills.

I am building this as a split frame and sprung, so the frame spacers will be discarded. The coupling rods can also easily be modified to incorporate the correct joint. All in all an excellent basis for a P4 conversion.
IMG_3262.JPG

I intend using some simple jigs, and as is customary for me, the wheels will be removable.
Tim V

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 am

Tim that is impressive. I would love to convert one as I seem to have a bit of a thing for small industrial (maybe it has something to do with Chris from high levels kits!) not having a lathe is a bit of a disadvantage. I know I could borrow time on one but the confidence to convert it etc is holding me back and do I really need another project to complete? No there is way too many already :o I will just be impressed with yours from afar!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:22 pm

While a lathe is the best way to skim the wheels, it can be done with hand tools: Kitchen table P4 conversion of RTR loco wheels

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Just to echo Tim's view that the running qualities of the original Hornby chassis merit at least consideration of reprofiling the wheels alongside the option of Gordon's excellent chassis kit.

My W4 has reprofiled wheel centres, with Ultrascale tyres, which have the advantage of being the correct diameter. I used the original Hornby axles. Although these are too short for P4 in normal circumstances, the Hornby wheels have a thick boss on the back, which was retained. The splined axles fit into a blind hole in the wheel, and the combination of the splines and boss are sufficient to hold the wheel securely at the wider back to back.

The result is a very reliable little loco.

20200717_133643.jpg.6cbfeea11793949befceee7034892df7.jpg

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:00 am

Hello Tim, I'm very taken with your converted clothes peg clamps: do they rely purely on a tight fit between the dowel and the peg-half, or is there any other technique employed to discourage slippage?
Chas

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 pm

They actually aren't that tight, you need to be able to slide the pegs up and down. It's the flex in the upright pole that gives the friction. Give it a go - the materials are virtually free!
Tim V

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Thanks - I intend to do just that (and as I'm the one who hangs out the washing most of the time I think I'll be able to get away with it quite easily too...).
Chas

steve howe

Re: Tim V's workbench - The Walking Man

Postby steve howe » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:30 pm

steve howe wrote:
Paul Townsend wrote:From the sublime to the ridiculous.....look at the loco at the back of Tim's bench with meccano lookalike wheels...must be for his 1810 caper!

I'm still waiting to see how he gets that horse to walk..... :D

Steve
(self-isolating from the Cameo Challenge 8-) )

Giles Flavell has done it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDcyYF9I1-Y

He has an article in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review 129 showing how he did it. Admittedly in 7mm

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 pm

Interesting.

I had considered using that slot in the floor type of moving the horse, but I wanted the track to look like plateway track, so a slot is out of the question. Or, a slot behind the track?
Tim V

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:23 pm

Depending on how weedy the track between the plates would be, static grass might hide the slot? also eyelevel viewing would hide a multitude of sins!

Steve

Return to “Tim V”