A source of very fine sand

Lord Colnago

A source of very fine sand

Postby Lord Colnago » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:17 pm

I am looking for a source of very fine sand for some wagon loads. I have used some fine sand from one of Norfolk's finest beaches but, despite sifting, it looks overscale to me and we can't have that now, can we? Any suggestions will be most welcome.

John.
The second best priest

timlewis

Re: A source of very fine sand

Postby timlewis » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Aquarium sand? (just avoid the lurid blue colours!)

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 pm

It may be too fine, but the dust from clay might work. It is certainly fine enough and comes in a few different colours. Failing that, very fine soil might also work, I use it for ballast on neglected lines.

HTH

David

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:40 am

Would talcum powder or similar be too fine?

David B

Postby David B » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:44 am

Pet shops sell very fine sand for aquaria. They also sell chinchilla dust which I know some modellers have used. Amazon also sell very fine sand

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am

Try Attwood Aggregates, they have a very fine sandy coloured grit, sorry I don't know the serial code.

Also have a look online for pottery suppliers selling 'Grog' this is fired clay ground and sold in many different grades for mixing with clay to lessen thermal shock. It comes in grades from very coarse to something resembling sandy flour, I should think 200# to 400# would suit.

I have to declare an interest as my current project is based around sand! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137565-sandsifters/&tab=comments#comment-3644358

Steve

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 am

Attwood Aggregates sell pots of dust from different quarry sources as mentioned above.
Chinchilla dust sieved through an old pair of tights is a Gordon Gravett trick which I’ve copied. Just pour some in, wrap around and shake through.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:39 am

Andrew Ullyott wrote:Attwood Aggregates sell pots of dust from different quarry sources as mentioned above.
Chinchilla dust sieved through an old pair of tights is a Gordon Gravett trick which I’ve copied. Just pour some in, wrap around and shake through.

Presumably not while Maggie's still in them? :D :D

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:48 pm

steve howe wrote:
Andrew Ullyott wrote:Attwood Aggregates sell pots of dust from different quarry sources as mentioned above.

Presumably not while Maggie's still in them? :D :D

I’ve never liked to ask...

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:06 pm

I use aquarium sand and a mix of poweder paint and talc for scenic work in sidings. Aquarium sand has various grades.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

BorderCounties

Postby BorderCounties » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

IIRC, kiln dried sand for brushing into the gaps between paving blocks is very fine and looks like sand if that's the type of load you are looking for.

I've got some somewhere . . . .

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks to all for your replies. There's certainly enough to keep me going there!

Steve, Your current project looks very interesting and I look forward with interest to seeing how it progresses. Good luck with it.

John, I am looking for something to load some wagons with and to provide some ground cover as well. If you do find your supply then I wouldn't say no to a bag.

Thanks again to everyone.

John.
The second best priest

Return to “Lord Colnago”