From a Loco Works in Norfolk

Neil Smith

Re: From a Loco Works in Norfolk

Postby Neil Smith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi M'Lud,

Depends potentially on your prototype but it would appear from 5542 at least that the answer is A...

See http://sambrandist.blogspot.com/2017/09 ... -5542.html and scroll down a bit.

All the best

Neil

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for that. I have a Swindon drawing of a 45xx cab and, typically, some of the fittings are in different places, in particular, the gauges. That may be because it's not the same class of loco, or that the drawings were used as a "guide" by the builders at Swindon or, it might be that it was just convenient to place such fittings in those positions for the preservationists. I suspect the latter but who knows.

John.
The second best priest

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 pm

And thinking on, John, it is possible that 5542 has the "wrong" type of brake in preservation.

As most ex Barry locos were long stripped of non-ferrous components before they were "saved" , my guess is that the original restoration team had to choose to either make the required missing bits, or otherwise buy original parts if available. If purchasing a second hand original part, then as long as the key pipe joins and mounts are in the right place, it all fits, etc. then yes a swap to the other style of brake could be possible. If they were making from new, I suspect most groups would be working off the various Swindon drawings for the class (certainly the charity I am a Trustee of does this) so the new part would be the "right" one.

Key thing here would be photos of a 4575 cab or five in GWR days to prove one way or the other. Or the relevant GWR backhead drawing. But especially at the moment such things are not easy to come by...

Another option for you would be to place a portly driver in the way (the Churchward cab is not a thing of ergonomic wonder for the driver, unless you have arms as long as an orangutan, in other words the brake valve is a long way in from the side openings!) , and choose the one you like the look of?!

Best wishes

Neil

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:39 pm

Thanks Neil, interesting stuff. I may well take the portly driver option if nothing else comes to light soon.

John.
The second best priest

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Not too portly mind. Those can doors are not that wide.. Though he could be craned in via the sunroof if too many pies are consumed...

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:52 am

Neil Smith wrote:Or the relevant GWR backhead drawing

Which might, or might not, show the position when the loco was built. But boilers were changed, and the newly fitted boiler might be a later [or earlier] version, cab equipment, such as sight feed lubricators, multiplied, failed ancillary equipment might be replaced by a different version if that was to hand at the shed, and pipe runs were quite possibly done differently at different works, or just in whatever fashion was convenient at the time. The 4575 class was not particularly long lived, but most lasted over 30 years; plenty of time for alterations of one sort or another. Whatever you decide, the odds on anyone being able to prove you wrong are vanishingly small whether they can see inside the cab or not...
Regards
Noel

Return to “Lord Colnago”