Neversay Dye - and Other Buildings

Armchair Modeller

Neversay Dye - and Other Buildings

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:58 pm

It’s Sunday, so how about chapel?

Unlike Neversay Mk1, I am trying to mix business with pleasure – in other words, the things that really need doing first with some that could really be left for later. The chapel is a case in point. It will be right at the front of the layout, so probably ought to be one of the last things I do. The thing is though that it is one of only two or three buildings I can easily make from kits. Also, it will be a key landmark building, dominating the right hand end of the layout and partly concealing the exit to the fiddle yard. It has an influence on all the scenery around it. Cynics might say that as I have never finished a layout after five and a half years as a member of the Scalefour Society, the population of Neversay deserves somewhere to pray for some trains.

The building is more or less a combination of two Wills Corrugated Iron Chapel kits. A single kit would have been too small for my tastes. I researched for the project by visiting the preserved chapel at Swanwick Junction near Ripley. I also browsed the Internet and found lots of interesting variations on this simple theme.

aCha-026.jpg

Combining the two kits was not particularly difficult, in general. For the sides, I tried to get the corrugated iron panels to look the same width at the joint as along the rest of the sides. This trimming removed around 8mm from the combined length of the two kits. I also had to trim around 0.5mm from the bottom of one piece on each side, to make sure that the horizontal edges of the corrugated iron sheets matched. This means that the windows on the left of the building are very slightly lower than those on the right, but this is hardly noticeable.

aDSCF4783.jpg
aDSCF4783.jpg (157.92 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

No need for a brick fireplace and chimney at the rear, so I bodged a small lean-to out of left over bits from the kits. What is left of the outline of the back of the fireplace will be disguised as a poster board. No doubt this will be used to display one of those incredibly “witty” slogans often seen at chapels exhorting passers by to worship God, or whatever.

aDSCF4782.jpg
aDSCF4782.jpg (153.1 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

The roof has been made as a separate sub-assembly. I used the tops of left over ends to get the angle right and support the ends of the structure, plus a new support made from scrap plastic in the centre. Getting the roof sides in more or less the correct place to match the ridge tiles was the only really fiddly bit in the whole kit so far. I still have to add other details from the kit, like drainpipes, bargeboards and gutters.

aDSCF4781.jpg
aDSCF4781.jpg (173.14 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

I do need to put a piece of plasticard along the top of the side walls though, to stop them sagging. I don’t plan to do any interior detail, other than the floor. The windows will have something resembling net curtains, so it will be difficult to see inside. Other than the pulpit, I suspect little would be above window sill level anyway. I do have an inexplicable urge to have one lonely figure staring out of one of the windows at the audience though. We shall see.

aDSCF4784.jpg
aDSCF4784.jpg (189.24 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

I don’t really want this building to appear too neglected. Quite reasonably, the congregation would prefer to keep it in good nick if at all possible -gentle weathering and decay, rather than lots of rusty, draughty holes. A touch of rust is probably inevitable though, given Neversay’s salty air. On the other hand, the site will seem rather precarious to those outside the congregation, who must have a huge amount of faith in God’s protection, for the site is on a steep slope. The chapel will largely be built on stilts. I have been studying a number of photos of buildings on stilts for inspiration.

Looking at photographs of similar buildings, the tin sheeting rarely, if ever goes right down to ground level. Most are built on brick foundations, which show above ground. This is not provided for in the kit. In my case, the foundations will mainly be a wooden frame supported by the stilts. I have used some Evergreen 1/8” square tube. This is deliberately recessed very slightly so that it is not flush with the corrugated iron sheeting on the walls. It also supports the plasticard floor. This plastic tube is a bit too flexible for the vertical support posts and other framework though. I shall probably use brass for this. I haven't done a full underfloor framework as this will be difficult to see when the building is installed on the layout.

aDSCF4785.jpg
aDSCF4785.jpg (95.54 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

I will also personalise the building a bit more. Spires seems quite common, for example. Other ideas include roof ventilators, one or more external lamps and steps down from the rear door to the roadway behind the chapel. Given the site’s prominent position in Neversay, the wall facing the sea may well end up with some weather-worn religious slogan too.

Here is the building, more or less in the position it will take when finished.

aDSCF4780.jpg
aDSCF4780.jpg (114.68 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

The reference to "Neversay Dye" in the title refers to the eventual model of the world famous Neversay Dye Works, which will eventually appear on the hillside behind the chapel and the tramway.

RobM

Re: Neversay Dye - and Other Buildings

Postby RobM » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Quirky…... :thumb The small bell tower from Swanick's chapel would look good at the right hand side of the roof. Looking forward to the dye works…….
Rob
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:20 pm

RobM wrote:Quirky…... :thumb
Rob

Just be patient - there will be more. Normal is boring :twisted:

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:04 pm

That's me toad……. ;)…..(Notts dialect)……..
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:05 pm

RobM wrote:Quirky…... :thumb The small bell tower from Swanick's chapel would look good at the right hand side of the roof. Looking forward to the dye works…….
Rob

After looking through various photos, this is the bell tower I plan to go for - with a few minor details based on others. A bell has been ordered.

Cha-030.jpg
Cha-030.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 4787 times

This is my favourite photo of a building on stilts. I don't need anything quite that dramatic for the chapel. Might do as a design for the baseboard trestles though :?

Stilt-014.jpg
Stilt-014.jpg (131.91 KiB) Viewed 4787 times

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:This is my favourite photo of a building on stilts. I don't need anything quite that dramatic for the chapel. Might do as a design for the baseboard trestles though :?

Stilt-014.jpg

I still have nervous recollections of visiting toilets like that whilst trekking in the Himalayas...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 am

It will be challenging to follow on from a post about Himalayan toilets, but I will try my best.............. :(

A short pause in track building whilst I wait upon supplies gave me a chance to try some more building work. The tin chapel is probably best left as is for the time being, as it is likely to get handled a lot whilst I work out the scenery at that end of the layout - no fiddly bits to fall off! So, I decided to have a go at a second kit-built building, the goods shed. This is being made out of Wills Provender's Store kits.

Think transit shed or something similar, rather than a goods shed. I imagine something erected in a hurry during WW2 to help efforts to counter the invasion threat, so concrete is quite appropriate. The original inspiration came from the seaside town and port I will be basing much of the scenery at the back of the layout on.

aStore.jpg
aStore.jpg (72.51 KiB) Viewed 4617 times

One kit was never going to be enough, so I eventually bought four. After playing around with various options, I came up with a plan for four doors and five panels of four concrete segments on each side. The instructions are slightly vague, so it took me a while to work out where all the bits go. Even so, the instructions give no clue how to build a larger structure, despite showing a few plans of extended sheds. In fact there are too few of the correct parts to do everything properly on an extended building. I had to use more of part F than I should have, as there were not enough of part E. Here are the basic sub-assemblies for the sides and the ends, more or less in the final position they will be on the layout. There will be a continuous wooden platform in front of the shed. The short platforms provided in the kit will be at the rear.

aDSCF4814.jpg

I more or less followed the instructions for the order of assembly. I found some stages rather fiddly as there are so many small components. Some of the framing was very fiddly to fit - particularly part E, for which I had to do some careful trimming of the part and the structure they were going onto before they would fit neatly. The main differences so far are:-

(a) I have strengthened the building by putting girders made out of sprue across the tops of the sides. This really does make a huge difference to the rigidity of the structure.

(b)I put a plasticard floor in, rather than the card bits supplied. Again, this helps with rigidity.

(c) Doors and door frames will be left out until after the rest of the structure has been weathered and painted.

(d) The roof will be built as a separate structure to be added later.

I thought I was doing really well.......... until I realised that the roof bits weren't long enough to cover the building. I had miscalculated something along the way :shock:

So, I have ordered another kit, just for the roof panels. Having thought about it this morning though, I am now thinking of extending the building by another bay and hiding the remaining gap in the roof with a water tank. A Ratio water tank has now been ordered. I have also ordered a couple of the Ratio carriage cleaning platforms to make the front platform out of.

Here is where I am so far. You will notice that the panels in different kits come in different shades - possibly different batches, as I bought from two different suppliers.

aDSCF4816.jpg
aDSCF4816.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 4617 times

It may seem rather long, but to my eye it is perfect for the position it will fill on the layout. Much more expensive than a scratchbuilt structure (getting on for £100 with the extra kits I have ordered today), but probably quicker to build and more detailed.

Now I have to wait again for parts......seems like the story of my modelling life at the moment! At least the parts have arrived now for the pointwork, so it will probably be back to the 3-way turnout next.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Richard, good recycling of sprue....... ;)
No windows?.........
Waiting for parts?.....tell me about it......I'm held up waiting for buffers, wheels and axles.......buffers 21 days delivery, wheels and axles out of stock.... :(
Rob
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:20 pm

RobM wrote:No windows?.........
Rob

The reason for no windows should become apparent when I put all the solar panels on the roof* ;)

Seriously, the warehouse I showed in the first image had no windows either, so obviously no need!

aStore.jpg
aStore.jpg (72.51 KiB) Viewed 4556 times

* a P4 C@nnabis factory (only joking) :D

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:
The reason for no windows should become apparent when I put all the solar panels on the roof* ;)

Seriously, the warehouse I showed in the first image had no windows either, so obviously no need!

aStore.jpg

* a P4 C@nnabis factory (only joking) :D

I did note the lack of windows but just thought that sublimely it would add interest.
Don't take me down the route of 'C@nnabis factory'......in a previous life in the 1970's I had to support a then wife and kids so worked in a certain occupation which one came across such 'entrepreneurial' aspects on a regular basis.......
R
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Don't worry Rob - there should be plenty of interest in the overall scene! ;)

The shed will really be a backdrop to the passenger part of the station, which will (I hope) be teeming with people, road vehicles, animals and lots of junk, as well as having some rather unusual platform roofing. Rolling stock parked in front of the shed on the goods siding will also obscure the side of the shed to a great extent. There will be plenty of detail in the overall scene. Plain and simple for the shed ought to work quite well, I hope - except for posters stuck on the walls and maybe a bit of signage.

neversay_v2-with-shed.jpg

The shed roof may require a bit more detail though, as that part will be much more prominent. Seabirds are a bit of a cliche, but they may be essential in this case. A painted sign, like "Tramway" or something more elaborate might work well, too. I have other ideas for one or two amusing little cameos, but I need to think them through a little further. I might be banned from the exhibition circuit if I get too carried away :twisted:

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 am

Coming on nicely.
The only query I have is the access to the quay running over the turntable?

Gordon A

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:46 am

Yes, Gordon. Access to the quay via a turntable. Quirky, I know!

There are a few examples of turntables at the end of running lines - North East England had one or two, I seem to remember. My story is that the line to the quay predated the turntable and roundhouse by many years. When they finally needed a turntable and a roundhouse (WW1) the site chosen was the only place to put it. A pragmatic solution. The topography of the site made sure of that, squeezed tightly between cliffs and the sea shore. The line to the quay is goods only too - no passengers - just an extended siding, really. Unlikely perhaps, but not impossible.

Of course, I am not building a conventional railway - it's a tramway and there are other good reasons why it won't fit the norm. You will have to think outside the box on this one, I am afraid!

From a modelling perspective (as opposed to a model of real life), the roundhouse will be a nice place to display stock not in use. The turntable is essential as I will be running some strange stock, like single cab railcars that need to be turned before they depart. The line to the quay adds a little more interest. The objective was to make a fairly compact layout. I like to think the design is a good compromise between fitting a lot in, having a variety of operational interest and not making it look too crowded.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply and explanation.
Rule 1 applies - its your railway!

Gordon A

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:28 pm

steamraiser wrote:Rule 1 applies - its your railway!

Gordon A

Wish I had remembered that phrase - it would have saved me a lot of typing :D

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote: I might be banned from the exhibition circuit if I get too carried away :twisted:

Not the Noch figures........ :o :o......some included in a caravan on 'Greenacre' by Tony Franc
Rob
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:48 pm

RobM wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote: I might be banned from the exhibition circuit if I get too carried away :twisted:

Not the Noch figures........ :o :o......some included in a caravan on 'Greenacre' by Tony Franc
Rob

No, Rob. I was thinking of something so horrendously frightening that even grown men would run away............

.......or maybe putting some OO gauge track on the layout ;)

Seriously though, the thread about Bachmann locos on Pendon did get me thinking about little cameos representing what life was really like. It is interesting to look closely at scenes photographed in and around railway stations and other public places, not just in the UK but abroad too. Small groups gambling, people asleep, stray dogs, children playing mischief, pigs and other livestock just wandering around, old war heroes reduced to selling matches on street corners, dead animals just left to rot away (sorry, dog lovers), heated arguments, girls flirting, embarrassed men in very public conveniences, people drinking coffee outside cafes and reading newspapers..... and so it goes on. If I ever get far enough with the layout, I think details like that would be very interesting to recreate.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 am

Nearly done now! In a fit of enthusiasm last night I made up the octagonal pillar supports for the shed building and stuck them in place. I also trimmed and stuck together the roof panels for each side of the building. This was done by careful filing the ends, removing up to around 0.5mm, to make sure that the ridges and furrows were evenly spaced. I haven't joined the two sides at the apex yet. This photo shows the building with the roof sections loosely placed on the shed.

aDSCF4819.jpg
aDSCF4819.jpg (149.25 KiB) Viewed 4290 times

The embarrassing roof gap at the end is clearly visible where I miscalculated what I could successfully do with all the bits. This will either be filled with panels from an extra kit or a water tank. Both kits are currently on their way to me.

The Ratio kits represent a BR design from the 1950s. I will have to somehow make my 1940s building look subtly different. My brain is feverishly working on ideas at the moment. Different ridge tiles would be one idea, but the options are limited for much else.

The building will be mounted on a plywood base to bring it up to the correct height relative to the track. I only thought about landscaping after I had stuck the pillar supports in place on the shed. It would have been much easier if I had stuck the pillars to the ply first and done the landscaping before sticking the shed down on top :?

Then there is the question of painting. The shed would only be around 10-15 years old on my model, so still relatively new. The sun always shines in Neversay, so dampness and heavy weathering is out of the question. The 1950s would probably be graffiti-free too. Whatever I do will have to be relatively subtle.

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:34 pm

As this building is so large, and appears to represent a significant investment you should see if you can get hold of a copy of "Visual Concrete: Weathering, stains and efflorescence" produced by the Concrete Society. It costs £28 but you may well be able to get it through your local library (if one still exists)

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Then there is the question of painting. The shed would only be around 10-15 years old on my model, so still relatively new. The sun always shines in Neversay, so dampness and heavy weathering is out of the question. The 1950s would probably be graffiti-free too. Whatever I do will have to be relatively subtle.

Googling 'concrete buildings' images brings up some possibilities.......there are some new builds which show variations in colour of the new concrete and old weathered buildings.......perhaps somewhere between the two would be appropriate. Don't know what paint you would use but I would use artist's acrylics and build up the paint with thin washes........only a few colours needed.
You could always drop it in your rucksack and have a walk down to mine...........or drive........I'll let you loose on my acrylics to save you from buying any........
Rob
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:08 pm

Many thanks Jon and Rob for your helpful suggestions. I think my first step ought to be to find some relatively young concrete buildings out there in the wild - probably when I am out walking. Getting really close up and face to face should be more revealing than photos. Normally, I hate concrete buildings but at last I have some motivation not to completely ignore them ;)

Also, I am probably a little premature about painting the shed. Like the chapel, I will need to handle it quite a bit whilst I develop the scenery behind the building. Maybe best to leave it a few months - at least until the polystyrene cliffs and slopes in the background have been created. Many thanks Rob for your kind invitation to Milliken Towers. I shall very much keep that in mind. Weather permitting, to walk would be the only way.

Meantime, my postbox was inundated with bits and pieces this morning as Royal Mail made no less than two deliveries. This included kits for another Provender's Store, a water tower, two carriage cleaning platforms - and a new loco. I was quickly to work on these once I had the time. One quick decision was that the water tank will look OK on the roof of the shed. Here is a photo of the sides roughly in position on the left, without its roof.

aDSCF4824.jpg

I will now have to find another use for the newest Provender's Store kit, which was procured mainly for the now unnecessary extra roof panels. I also assembled the platform from two of the carriage cleaning platform kits. This is in the photo - again only roughly placed in position. Here is a view from another angle. It is just 9 sections of two kits glued side by side. I still need to do a few tweaks, but overall I am very pleased with it.

aDSCF4823.jpg

The new loco is a DJ Models Hunslet Austerity, bought with a bit of spare money I had at the end of the month. I got the one from Hattons in Mechanical Navvies livery, largely because I am seriously considering Indian Red as the livery for most of my eventual loco fleet. I have to say it looks magnificent. I was a little worried that it might look too big for the tiny spaces on Neversay, but I now feel it is going to fit in just fine. From an initial external inspection, the chassis doesn't look very P4-able, so I may try an RT Models etched chassis instead - either compensated or with springy beams. Not this week though, or even this month. Too many other things to do first.

aDSCF4825.jpg

Apart from finishing touches to the platform, I still have to finish the roof for the shed. For the tank, I just need to stick the sides and ends together and add the roofing panels. I trimmed the side panels by cutting one panel off so the tank would fit the site. I am not a structural engineer, but I guess the shed walls on their own probably would not be strong enough to support a real water tank. I am thinking of adding the bottom end of some support girders below the shed floor - as if they go up inside the building to the base of the tank. I also need to stick the two sides of the roof together and add some ridge tiles. I think I will also add a couple of large vents made out of bits left over from the kits, just to make the roof look that little bit different.

Overall, I am very pleased with the shed. Even on its own it transforms the scene from just a few bare rails on some plywood to something looking a bit like a model railway - or even a real place. Feelings so different to Neversay version one, which for some odd reason never seemed to me like it could ever represent anything real.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:04 am

Armchair Modeller wrote:Overall, I am very pleased with the shed. Even on its own it transforms the scene from just a few bare rails on some plywood to something looking a bit like a model railway - or even a real place. Feelings so different to Neversay version one, which for some odd reason never seemed to me like it could ever represent anything real.

So you should be, looking impressive...... :thumb .....with the water tank and added vents it will help to break up the roof line.
R
Updated December 2016

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 pm

The plan is to do another building during June. OK I haven't finished the chapel or the transit shed yet, but what remains to add on these would be rather fragile. I would rather leave them as they are for the time being to avoid damaging any delicate parts.

Next on the list is the Customs House, which featured on the post card I showed a while back in the Primitive Cool topic.

aMoll-028.jpg
aMoll-028.jpg (142.86 KiB) Viewed 3673 times

The card is of course a forgery of mine. The picture is really of Mollendo in Peru - another unusual destination I have visited in the past. Just in case anyone hasn't caught on yet, my Neversay Tramway is colonial, set in the mystical South Indies in the mid to late 1950s. More about that another time.

The postcard is really the main inspiration for the scenery behind the station - and the Customs House (on the left) will be the centre of that scene. The plan is to model the cliffs, the steep trackway and most of the other details from the postcard eventually, including the hotel on the right in low relief. I have found a number of other photos of the area, so have a good idea of what 2 sides of the Customs House looked like. The postcard shows the building almost straight on. I have worked out a scale based on the size of the people in the image.

I have gathered most of the materials I need, including some laser-cut windows off eBay.

More anon!

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Just a quickie to give an idea of how the Customs building might look when completed and mounted on the cliff behind the layout. Hopefully, it won't lean as much as that though ;)

a-DSCF4985.jpg
a-DSCF4985.jpg (156.55 KiB) Viewed 3581 times

Return to “Armchair Modeller”