BR Fruit Vans

iak

BR Fruit Vans

Postby iak » Thu May 28, 2020 7:48 pm

An auld project that has been reactivated.
The early Fruit Vans built by British Rail were based on an auld LMS Van design; Parkside have produced the kit for these beasties. The build is of three vans, including one oddball...

2020-05-19-11-24-31.jpg
Replacement solebars here with a spare etched detailing insert.

2020-05-19-11-26-55.jpg
Another angle. The buffers are frae David Franks, the solebar etch is a spare one frae Dave Bradwell etch.

2020-05-28-17-52-08.jpg
W-irons on, these being auld Society BR ones. Yes, it is a rigid chassis... The etched insert here is a spare Rumney Models one, Justin provides alternative solebars for some of his chassis kits so, waste not etc...

2020-05-28-17-48-39.jpg
This one uses the Parkside undergubbins...

2020-05-28-17-50-29.jpg
OK, the oddball. An LMS style undergubbins with LNER style brakes.

More soon with this project.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

jim s-w

Re: BR Fruit Vans

Postby jim s-w » Thu May 28, 2020 11:39 pm

Hi Iain

These kits have the wrong profile ends. The roof is more like a br standard van and not like an LMS van. A common trick is to use the ends from the ratio van in their place.

HTH

Jim

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri May 29, 2020 9:38 am

And the Ratio roof as well, to match the ends. Geoff Kent, in "The 4mm Wagon" Vol 2, reprofiles the kit ends and sides, and uses the kit roof, flattened slightly; however, if you have a spare Ratio roof it produces a better result, I feel.
Regards
Noel

iak

Postby iak » Fri May 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Noel wrote: Geoff Kent, in "The 4mm Wagon" Vol 2, reprofiles the kit ends and sides, and uses the kit roof, flattened slightly; however, if you have a spare Ratio roof it produces a better result, I feel.

You've stolen my thunder here Noel as that is exactly the path I am following. Mind, that is the intention :D
This project got left aside because of this very issue. Using the Ratio ends is feasible but I felt that Professor Kent's way forward might alleviate things without mucking up Ratio kits when I began. Since then I have managed to get a goodly number of Ratio kits so, using the Cambrian kits as well might bring some other beasties to fruition. I need to cross reference the MRJ articles again.
I do aim to cross kit some Ventilated Vans by using the Parkside sides and Ratio ends but that is for another day

Slàinte
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Return to “iak”