Screw Coupling Protocol

iak

Screw Coupling Protocol

Postby iak » Mon May 15, 2017 6:39 pm

As mentioned in the latest S'nooze, here is the wee illustrated protocol for how I sort screw couplings. This is my standard coupling for all my fitted stock on Mostyn, of which more is being dragged through "The Works" at present. My health is still very much an obstacle to normal modelling. Frustrating but one endeavours to move forwards.

Here is the Masokits etch - it looks worse than it is to work worth once one is used to it.
You also get some etched hooks and instanters. I prefer to use Exactoscale coupling hooks however.

Here you see the couplings central assembly.
Drill out to holes, if needed, whilst still on the main etch.
The black rod is 0.7mm pencil lead, you use this to keep the holes aligned once you fold the etch over.
You want a snug fit to keep it all square once its soldered up.

Once you have the soldering done, remove the pencil lead and take a jewellers broach to the holes - carefully!

Adding the links involves some careful bending up, using 3/64 rod as a former.
It also pays to clean up things with a file atr this point.
The links are attached using 0.65mm craft pins - Mike Clark {Mr Masokits] uses 0.7mm but hey...
The extra 0.05mm will help things to be free but naer to loose and floppy.
Carefully shallow/thin of the head of the pin by the way - it looks better.

This is the tricky bit.
The paper/tape allows one to solder the pin in place, without it gumming up the blasted thing; well that it the theory :lol:

Hark, it looks like a coupling.
Now to clean it up....

Ahem.... NEXT!

The solution is 0.5% - 1.0% Neutracon as mentioned elsewhere by myself.
It cleans up all the flux and gunk, leaving a very nice clean piece of work.

Attaching the coupling to the coupling hook will mean the jewellers broaches come out again.
Care here as you want to fit the coupling in and then close enough metal behind it to hold it in place - don't make the hole too big!
The plates on the stem of the coupling hook are Ambis etches by the way.

The finished articles in place.
Some use araldite but I use Rocket Max super-glue.
The plastic gets "keyed" using Ambroid Pro Weld before hand by the way which seems to help.

I hope this all makes sense and any questions? Ask away.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

zr2498

Re: Screw Coupling Protocol

Postby zr2498 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks for the photos and description which have proved useful in a build of the Masokits couplings for some Palbrick wagon construction.
There are short and long links in the etch. Are the long links really necessary. My layout will be mostly greater than 30" radius with 24" minimum in the fiddle yard. I was wondering if the short links will do the job. I see you are not using spung draw bars. I could do with a bit of advice on that also. When to use (and when not).
Cheers
David

iak

Postby iak » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

The long etch is useful for that added length. A purest might wish to us the short mind.
I do not spring the coupling as I simply do not find it necessary on my stock.
Running stock on Mostyn, we have tried to keep to basics and that appears to work - sprung drawbars "can" be a source of the rake "surging," definitely something to avoid...
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

David B

Postby David B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:58 pm

See also the article on making Masokits screw couplings in S4 News 205 (December 2017) pp27 to 31.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 am

zr2498 wrote: My layout will be mostly greater than 30" radius with 24" minimum in the fiddle yard

I use Smith's couplings, which are a little overscale, but I don't much like the look of etched couplings, and the extra length makes dealing with curves a little easier, and coupling and uncoupling a little less fraught. Since my interest is shunting layouts, I have gone in the opposite direction to Iain, and use Instanter on all fitted stock, including NPCCS, so I don't have to deal with screw couplings, which are awkward when shunting. [GWR and BR VB wagons normally had Instanter couplings, and LMSR, LNER and SR screw couplings, as did all NPCCS.]

With these couplings it is OK to use unsprung drawbars and buffers down to about 3 ft radius, but much below that one or the other, or both, will become essential, as otherwise, once all the clearance has been taken up, something will be pulled off the track. I haven't tried to find out where the limit is, but I suspect that 24 inches may be a bit optimistic, especially for scale length couplings. Sprung buffers will be effective whether pulling or propelling, whereas sprung drawbars will only be effective when pulling.

I suggest that, given your minimum radius, it might be sensible to fit a couple of wagons with your preferred option(s) and see what works, and what doesn't. I suggest including a long wheelbase vehicle, as these will have the biggest sideways movement at the ends on curves, and the 'worst case' scenario is probably a long wheelbase vehicle coupled to a short wheelbase one.
Regards
Noel

zr2498

Postby zr2498 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks to you guys for all of your advice. I have made a few of the couplings up (both sizes) and tested on the 24" radius track.
Yes, it would be wise to use the longer link with some of the longer stock - buffers do come pretty close. Shorter stock is not an issue with the short links and it helps to close the gap on these. I will leave off the springing of draw bars as suggested (no need), especially as the plan is to spring the buffers on the Palbricks.
David B - that will teach me to at least skim the Scalefour news when it comes in and not to be too busy doing other things. Great article and I do remember your demo of tiny bits of solder last Autumn at Missenden. Agree - much better to use a broach to open the holes, rather than a drill on a fret of this thickness.
Are Exactoscale hooks still available?
Dave W

David B

Postby David B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm

zr2498 wrote:Are Exactoscale hooks still available?

They were not when I last enquired nor, as far as I could be told, were they in the pipeline. I hope they will be reintroduced as I feel they are the best I have used.

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:47 pm

When using these couplings, it may just prove more practical to couple routinely if you use the longer link as they get more difficult to use the sorter/tighter they are, although this is less true if you use sprung buffers. But also keep in mind you don't need to make the bend in the loop too tight (hence the link slightly longer) as they get tricky to couple if the loop is too close a fit on the hook and there not enough room for the shunters pole as well as the hook.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Just a suggestion. Given its one of the common complaints you see from the mostyn guys, the time taken to couple stock at a show, have you considered perminantly coupling the wagons in pairs or longer rakes? Just pairs would halve the coupling up time after all

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

zr2498

Postby zr2498 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks Will. I guess it will be 'horses for courses'. The screw couplings on planned fixed rakes can be sized to suit best running, whereas links that are frequently coupled / uncoupled need to be easier to loop over the hook as you suggest.
Iain - like the idea of using pencil leads. I ended up using 0.5mm pencil lead (measures 0.55mm diameter) and then using 0.5mm brass wire.

iak

Postby iak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm

The coupling up is part of the game Jim...
And as for complaints ? News to me, I'll discuss this with my learned colleagues.
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

iak

Postby iak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:11 pm

zr2498 wrote:Thanks Will. I guess it will be 'horses for courses'. The screw couplings on planned fixed rakes can be sized to suit best running, whereas links that are frequently coupled / uncoupled need to be easier to loop over the hook as you suggest.
Iain - like the idea of using pencil leads. I ended up using 0.5mm pencil lead (measures 0.55mm diameter) and then using 0.5mm brass wire.

Mr Masokits recommended one size and I just used what I thought was better for me - horses for courses as one says.
The lace pins are again what Mike Clark recommended using, I just adjusted.
Glad to see my aging thread has been of help... :thumb
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

wonkychops

Postby wonkychops » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:25 am

Can anyone tell me if the use of a shunters pole was ever (regularly) applied to coupling/uncoupling screw couplings?
The shunters pole belongs to a shunter in a yard, while most of the time you can see the engine crew coupling/uncoupling coaching stock alongside a platform, they don't have a shunters pole in their tool box. And you can't couple the brake pipe and possibly steam heating pipe with a pole!
Whilst there was vacuum fitted freight stock I have never been in a location where these wagons were assembled in a train. I would guess in a mixed train there would usually be a preference of using the loose three link coupling wherever possible otherwise there would be a need to get between the stock and lift the screw coupling in place.
So it bothers me considerably that the presumption on using a shunters pole for coupling/uncoupling on a model as it is inappropriate in many circumstances. To start with the pole needs to be operated by a scale "shunter" not the hand of "god" from above. Whilst it can be made to work keeping to a particular technique, that does limit where the coupling/uncoupling operation can take place. This consequently can determine how a layout would be operated or even designed and this could be far from adopting the practices undertaken in the prototype.
I would agree with anyone who says there is no one solution to all coupling/uncoupling needs as this would accord with prototype practices, but does anyone dare to deliberately mix coupling methods on their model - other where they run "block trains"?
Regards
"Wonkychops"

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:56 am

wonkychops wrote:So it bothers me considerably that the presumption on using a shunters pole for coupling/uncoupling on a model as it is inappropriate in many circumstances. To start with the pole needs to be operated by a scale "shunter" not the hand of "god" from above.

I look forward to seeing your scale shunter in action. :) :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 am

wonkychops wrote:Can anyone tell me if the use of a shunters pole was ever (regularly) applied to coupling/uncoupling screw couplings?
"Wonkychops"

With the working appendices stating that the loco coupling should be used to couple to the first vehicle in a rake I think it's fair to say yes.

Some links:
From Paul Bartletts site:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/freig ... l/e5348668

From Ernie's ever useful flickr archive:

https://flic.kr/p/Gmn6Zw

and a BR official from my collection.

BR-Officials-SHockVansDon'tNipYourArms.jpg

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:03 pm

wonkychops wrote:Whilst there was vacuum fitted freight stock I have never been in a location where these wagons were assembled in a train. I would guess in a mixed train there would usually be a preference of using the loose three link coupling wherever possible otherwise there would be a need to get between the stock and lift the screw coupling in place.

Porcy Mane wrote:and a BR official from my collection.

Fully fitted trains, or the fitted head of others, would unavoidably require the guard or shunter to go under to connect the pipes, as does the adjustment of screw couplings to keep the buffer faces in contact, despite the time and safety issues. The picture shows that screw couplings can be hooked on from outside, as with three link and Instanter, but the outcome will be vehicles without the continuous brake, and loose coupled [although Instanters can be turned from outside], so why not do everything at once between the buffers?
Regards
Noel

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:20 pm

Noel wrote:so why not do everything at once between the buffers?

It's a pity we can't ask the men in the photographs.

Using the pole from the outside would certainly shorten the time required to be in the four foot and as is common knowledge, with the occupation of shunter being the most dangerous on the railway, anything to reduce risk would be bonus. Maybe "how you did it" was left up to the individual?

P

Stuartp

Postby Stuartp » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:22 pm

From personal experience (albeit briefly and a long time ago) it's easier on your back to lever the coupling up using the pole than to lift it with your hands, especially if you have a lot to do, and there's less chance of nipping your fingers. Even if you then duck in between to connect up the pipes, tighten the coupling etc.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:09 am

It is also likely that if wagons were only being shunted for sorting, as opposed to making up a train, that there was little point in connecting the pipes, so no need to go under.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:46 pm

The usual practice for going "underneath" is before a driver gives permissions to the secondman/guard to go underneath, they vent the brake pipe of the loco to atmosphere so it stops the loco from moving when somebody is inbetween, so to move again, the brake pipe has to be rebuilt once the secondman/guard is out from between the wagons. Using the shunters pole is tricky and takes some skill but it's far easier, quicker and safer than going inbetween to couple the wagons up.
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

Return to “iak”