Padgate Works - The Finishing Shop

jim s-w

Re: Padgate Works - The Finishing Shop

Postby jim s-w » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am

Hi all

Seems things ate getting overly complicated. What you need is a computer, a printer and some decal paper from crafty computer paper. Process is as follows

1. Draw the design you want on your computer.
2. Add decal paper to printer
3. Press print
4. Seal your transfers with a print sealer
5. Apply to model.

It's no more difficult than printing an email. If you want to print white you will need a printer that does so but that's it. Obviously normal printouts rely on a white base for vibrancy so you will need likewise (or white decal paper) for complex designs if using a normal inkjet or laser printer but that's about as complicated as it gets.

Most of these were done this way.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

David B

Postby David B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Straightforward process, but transfers tend to be small, A4 rather large in comparison.

Will the paper go through the printer more than once? Does one need to do a whole sheet's worth at a time? Is this inkjet, laser or either?

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:44 pm

It will go though more than once yes. You need to cut of the printed bit and seal it seperately. Crafty do a paper for both types of printer, make sure you get the right one.

Hth

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

iak

Postby iak » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 am

Ealing wrote:I didn't make myself clear. I'm happy to use Illustrator to produce the artwork - it's what paper and printer to use that I'm not sure of.

Right, lets get back were this thread belongs...
No more egg boiling lessons................... :?

The transfers are printed onto the best LASER type transfer paper which David Faulkner, who is the "keeper of the printer," can get his hands on - he is checking which brand for me. DO NOT use inkjet type transfer paper as it will damage the printheads on the printer terminally. The ALPS printer itself is an MD5000. It runs on an auld WIN XP based PC using an auld style printer port.
I trust this helps Andy :thumb

Next time I will discuss the chemical structure of acrylic paint and how to use it....................... :mrgreen:
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks Iain and others.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:23 am

For those, like me, who like to dream of the ultimate decal machine (until Epson white-ink printing goes mass-market) a refurbished MD5000 is around £500-£600. The (much) better MD5500 is 3x as much. But then there are shipping/customs charges - they're nearly all Stateside (although logically there ought to still be a few hanging around in Japan). Supplies are, surprisingly, readily available (unlike ink-jet cartridges which seem to go off the market alarmingly rapidly). The Windows (XP/Vista/32-bit Windows 7) driver for the ALPS is currently around £10.
David L-T

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:42 am

guyrixon wrote:
iak wrote:I tend, by the way, to save/export files in AI and EPS. We make sure all of the font sets are on the PC running the ALPS as well.

Thanks. So the EPS file is the one that goes to the printer?

That will depend on whether your computer has a postscript RIP.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:04 am

dal-t wrote:For those, like me, who like to dream of the ultimate decal machine (until Epson white-ink printing goes mass-market) a refurbished MD5000 is around £500-£600. The (much) better MD5500 is 3x as much. But then there are shipping/customs charges - they're nearly all Stateside (although logically there ought to still be a few hanging around in Japan). Supplies are, surprisingly, readily available (unlike ink-jet cartridges which seem to go off the market alarmingly rapidly). The Windows (XP/Vista/32-bit Windows 7) driver for the ALPS is currently around £10.

Hi David

I understood alps printers have been out of production for about a decade. Is that still the case?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:01 pm

jim s-w wrote:I understood alps printers have been out of production for about a decade. Is that still the case?

Hi Jim,

Yes, that's my understanding, but the demand is so great that they just go on and on (the continued availability of ribbon cartridges being the key factor). Given that, it obviously makes economic sense for several sources to refurbish old models - but I do hope the Epson initiative to produce modern machines using water-based white-ink printing on transparencies (for 'environmentally friendly' product proofing) will eventually cascade to the consumer market. At that point the remaining ALPS can probably be honourably retired to appropriate museums. I have several 'exotic' liveries for aircraft models waiting for such a day.

David
David L-T

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks David

I don't know if there's a refurbishment market out there but there is for other computery things. I just had to get a new power supply for my 12 year old mac (12 years before needing any new bits isn't bad in my book) and part of the process included sending the dead one back to the supplier. Perhaps the same goes for alps printers?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 pm

jim s-w wrote: I just had to get a new power supply for my 12 year old mac (12 years before needing any new bits isn't bad in my book)

Fings ain't wot they used t'be. Our 3-year old i-Mac has already suffered a partial failure of the optical drive (remedied by a Samsung external for around £30) and is now subject to a 'product recall' for potential failure of its 1TB hard disc. It was bought in Bristol, but our nearest Apple store is now (the centre of) Bordeaux, so it's subsisting on a prayer and a WD 2TB backup drive. But I still wouldn't go back to a Windows box ...
David L-T

iak

Postby iak » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:49 pm

So back to the railway freight stock then :D
Some finished ex-LMS medfits are first:

The above three show the ALPS printed decals off I think.
The Electrification Warning sign is from the Railtec range - http://www.railtec-models.com/

Both of these two beasties are the auld Parkside Dundas kit, a kit which is unavailabe at this time I think and which may well be getting updated? I do hope so, because a lot of them ended up in the Engineers fleets.

It has been a long haul but finally, this project is nearing completion. Two down and four to go............. :lol:
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

iak

Postby iak » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Well its another bit of finished stock for the "Beastie..."
The "Works" has been busy one postulates? Not 'arf :D

A Dia.2039 van in all it scabby glory, ending its days with the Engineers at Crewe.
The auld Ratio kit is a versatile and adaptable beastie for it age; I think that shows that it was nae bad to start with, when first released...

The close-up is a bit OTT maybe but it show again how the ALPS printed decals just allow one to model the niceties ;)
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

iak

Postby iak » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:27 pm

More finished naughtiness... :o

Two scabby 1/208's that still run with their original running number lettering - more common it seems than I thought :?:

The close-up shows just how good the Craig Welsh etches really are on a finished item - more I say!!! 8-)

More rubbish soon so stay tuned................. :D
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 am

Iak, I seem to have problems with the Craig Welsh wagon that I have just made. It just doesn't seem to want to roll freely. May be it is me being dim on the week end though. It will be the 9ft under a cambrian NE prefinished RCH wagon. I also found that the brake gear fouled the wheels which I am positive is down to me rather than the design! I am thinking I should change the bearings as I may have lost the very pin point of the bearing when I filed them down to avoid having a bind in the back of the axle box.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 am

Sympathies, Doug - over-filing a pinpoint bearing to break through the 'point' is a bit fatal for free-running. Seems to act like a disc brake. I did it on a pair of D&S bogie sideframes thinking it would 'not be a problem'. Arrghh!

Could be useful for brake vans, though...

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks Russ.

I will take out the existing and try replacing them and see what the results are.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

iak

Postby iak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:27 am

DougN wrote:Iak, I seem to have problems with the Craig Welsh wagon that I have just made. It just doesn't seem to want to roll freely. May be it is me being dim on the week end though. It will be the 9ft under a cambrian NE prefinished RCH wagon. I also found that the brake gear fouled the wheels which I am positive is down to me rather than the design! I am thinking I should change the bearings as I may have lost the very pin point of the bearing when I filed them down to avoid having a bind in the back of the axle box.

Apologies Doug but all I have used thus far are Craig's brake lever and guides etch. The chassis are another can of chicken soup..... :?
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am

Good stuff iak. Love the avatar as well
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 am

Ealing wrote: Love the avatar as well

I have tried to swat it twice already. :oops:

iak

Postby iak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 am

I just hope it does nae bug people............... :mrgreen:
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 pm

iak wrote:I just hope it does nae bug people............... :mrgreen:

It bugs me. It's old hat, it's been seen on various web forums for years, and the novelty lasts about 10 seconds.

After that it becomes extremely annoying, as do all animated avatars. It is impossible to concentrate on what you are reading when there is something moving in the corner of your eye. Now that we have all seen it and smiled, please change it.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

iak

Postby iak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Some people are so happy................. :shock:
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 pm

I am with Martin on this one; moving avatars are an irritant.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:52 pm

It's fine by me Iain! I quite like it. It's not annying at all. Perhaps it pleases my small brain...

Justin

Return to “iak”