Queensbridge Road Wharf

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Noel

Re: Queensbridge Road Wharf

Postby Noel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:08 pm

garethashenden wrote:Are either of these worth pursuing? Should I do something else? Should the two running lines be connected somehow? Would the best thing to do be starting over with a better overall plan? The things I want out of the layout have changed since I started it.

Fundamentally only you can answer these questions. Presumably, if it comes to starting again, much of what you have done in terms of buildings, etc. can be salvaged and reused? One thought that occurred to me is that the arch at the back which provided notional access to the yard would have to be fenced off from the main line, as would any doors giving access, whilst ground floor windows would probably be given bars for security. The new plans imply a move from a wharf which may or may not be railway owned, but where all movement is low speed, to a main line railway, on railway owned property, with relatively much higher speeds and where larger clearances and better visibility would be expected.

So far as the diagrams are concerned, the second is more likely, as the loop is too small to be much use and the part of the train not involved in shunting can just be left on the main. Catch points for the yard would probably still be a good idea, and would be mandatory for a line with a passenger service. I don't have any means of judging distance on the plans, but I would suggest that you may need to consider clearances between the track and structures at the back.
Regards
Noel

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:10 pm

A double through track with the sidings trailing into one road as in your second diagram would be the most prototypical arrangement. You could add a trailing crossover between the two running lines, but if you do you will almost certainly need a small (possibly ground level) signal box and fixed signals. The siding connection on its own would almost certainly be worked by a small open ground frame (one or two levers) released by an Annett's Key and no fixed signals would be necessary (or indeed likely). Either way a trap point would be necessary protecting the running line from spurious movements from the sidings if the running line was ever used for passenger trains but not absolutely necessary if only goods trains operate (although a wooden moveable scotch block might be provided even then).

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:57 am

bécasse wrote:You could add a trailing crossover between the two running lines, but if you do you will almost certainly need a small (possibly ground level) signal box and fixed signals.

I would suggest that the box would be off scene to the left, and high enough to enable the signalman to see over the bridge, since visibility for checking tail lights, etc. is negligible if the box is within the scene, given the sight lines. The same considerations would entirely rule out a ground level box, in my view, since a train on the line nearer the box would block the view of the further line, although a ground level g/f for the yard released from a nearby box is a possibility.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”