Norwayman's Wharf Junction

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
mickeym

Norwayman's Wharf Junction

Postby mickeym » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:52 pm

leNWP4.jpg

Hello there
This is the first in what I hope will be a regular (ish) series of postings about my re-entry into actually building a P4 layout this century; indeed the first attempt since the internet was little more than an idea.

I like the idea of the SGW, it keeps things small and manageable, or at least I hope that is the case!

The scheme is very loosely based around Lelant and the line along to the Wharf on the Hayle estuary, though the passenger platform itself, and maybe some cottages to the rear owe more to Sandplace on the Looe line (Well they are both in Cornwall :D )

Reality is left even further behind when I say I intend it to be set in the late 70s, just like the line to nearby Hayle wharves, clinging on to the most marginal of traffic.

The attached plan is knocked up in Anyrail (they do have Exactoscale!) I'm sure it will suffice for this slow burning winter pastime.

I forgot to add; if this works out passably well, then I shall add the "Norwayman's Wharf" as a joined on, but separate scene.
I dont think that part would be a candidate for the SGW though, without some serious compression - The "real" wharf is about 400odd feet long, and its not called that either - its known colloquially as Dynamite Quay I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Everett

Re: Norwayman's Wharf Junction

Postby Ian Everett » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 am

Welcome aboard!

It looks a bit like Humber Dock - https://clecklewyke.wordpress.com/exhib ... mber-dock/ - but with an extra passwngwe line (and a later period).

I take it you are planning a fiddle yard at each end? This would require two operators, or a lot of walking. Have you considered using a sector plate and hidden return track, to allow operation from one end?

I look forward to reading more about the scenic development you plan and the buildings you have chosen.

Ian

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:34 pm

I hope it comes out a fraction as good as Humber Dock, which I have seen on a flying visit to the Halifax (?) show a few years ago.

I've not really thought about fiddle space, though "a lot of walking" isn't really a problem - IF if turns out all good I intend to extend to the right hand side onto the Wharf area proper, so then the layout will be single ended - The branch to the rear (which is intended as being on a slightly higher level and a gradient) will just rather conveniently "disappear" behind the wharf scene.

Buildings in mind so far are a rather basic tin hut to shelter the passengers in, as seen on 70s Cornish branches, and a couple of terrace cottages to the RHS of the scene, based on my bijou former residence in downtown St Blazey.

Other buildings are planned but i need to see what sort of space we have to insert them in - This is a layout for trees! something Im not overally good at just yet!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:24 am

So, wind-swept, bleak, mud-flats, stunted hawthorns? IIiffe Stokes rather than ITV's Doc Martin. Could be really atmospheric!

Ian

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Ian Everett wrote:So, wind-swept, bleak, mud-flats, stunted hawthorns? IIiffe Stokes rather than ITV's Doc Martin. Could be really atmospheric!

Ian

That is more "round the corner" on the actual wharf, the scenery around Lelant changes rather dramatically as one enters the Hayle Estuary - Thats the place you describe above - This is more tree lined mud flats, or in this instance, on the ebb side of a slack tide; acres of mud been less appealing to me than model water :)

There hasn't been any progress of note, I'm a touch tied up with a lot of pre-winter house things IE do things outside before its too cold!

On this Project I assume it is OK for any sidings etc to run off stage past the defined limits of the layout proper? I do hope so

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:40 am

mickeym wrote:On this Project I assume it is OK for any sidings etc to run off stage past the defined limits of the layout proper? I do hope so

Absolutely. It's only the scenic section that has to be 4'8.5" or less. The fiddle yards can be any size (within reason ;) ) and you may run sidings etc. off the scenic section.

Ian

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Thank you for the clarification Ian; at the moment this idea has enthused me a lot, so I am trying to strike whilst the iron still remains pretty warm ;)

I am also assuming that a separate, but closely related scene could be tacked onto each or either end? I do rather like the constraints imposed by the SGW idea, but I can see a "bit more" would make the whole thing sort of "better" , or at least more like my mash-up of Sandplace and Lelant (and a few other bits of the Duchy!) is pictured in my mind....

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:16 am

mickeym wrote:Thank you for the clarification Ian; at the moment this idea has enthused me a lot, so I am trying to strike whilst the iron still remains pretty warm ;)

I am also assuming that a separate, but closely related scene could be tacked onto each or either end? I do rather like the constraints imposed by the SGW idea, but I can see a "bit more" would make the whole thing sort of "better" , or at least more like my mash-up of Sandplace and Lelant (and a few other bits of the Duchy!) is pictured in my mind....

As a co-conspiritor that helped Ian bring his idea of the Standard Gauge Workbench to life, I'll just emphasise one aspect that we had early in the discussion:

- it's your trainset!

So there are no "rules", just a bit of guidance for those that want to join in with this bit of fun. The idea was simply to help people be motivated that they could build something small and relatively simply. If it subsequently grows a life of its own, all the better :-)

All the best
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:38 pm

It is certainly helping me to "get motivated" and the constraint on size does help the focus a lot.
With the Wharf itself being Off Stage to the right, it does give a lot of freedom to imagine what may be situated along there.....

For example I rather like CDA clay hoppers, but a whole rake of them is somewhat impracticable (well it is for me!)
But when they were fairly new it was found the anti slip coating on the hoppers needed to be removed - a one time associate of mine had the contract to remove it ....That work was done in very small batches at the former Ponts Mill Driers site - A very good working to replicate on NW with an 08 and brace (or I think it was 3 in reality) CDAs shuffling down to the Wharf itself "for attention" - maybe unlikely, but true.

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:27 am

Not much of an update, but I have finally found the bit of the Alan Gibson site that has the wheel conversions upon it :)

With this info to hand I can side step the wait for Ultrascale to provide me with similar( I know they are good etc, but....) so that is a step in the right direction - To think I may be able to get some running trials in a hesitant, bumping all over the place kind of fashion before Easter next year really is a spur in the side.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 am

mickeym wrote:Not much of an update, but I have finally found the bit of the Alan Gibson site that has the wheel conversions upon it :)

With this info to hand I can side step the wait for Ultrascale to provide me with similar( I know they are good etc, but....) so that is a step in the right direction - To think I may be able to get some running trials in a hesitant, bumping all over the place kind of fashion before Easter next year really is a spur in the side.

Good stuff! Whilst Ultrascales are held to be the Rolls Royces of replacement wheels, the ones from Alan Gibson are serviceable, available quickly and reasonably cheap. Just keep an eye open for the occasional erratic one and ask on here for any advice that you need.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:30 pm

With the task of building a new shed more or less from scratch "handed to me" by the fates :o I haven't really had time to think about, let alone progress this idea.
However said shed now looks like a rural bus-stop, even if a rather down at heel version (its got solid sides and a roof) I had a few more thoughts on more interesting matters. I also acquired a few items that move (like the rather fab Dapol produced for KMRC JIA clay hoppers ) to remind me of my working Days in the Duchy :)

They are a bit long for shunting about on a plank that fits the SGWB criteria - So I added a few inches to the plan! Its now not a SGWB - but it does seem to have more play value; at least to me.

leNWP4ai.jpg

This is the first draught of the new enlarged version - it still needs quite a bit of fiddling about, and probably making somewhat less deep - It is a fair old chunk of model real estate as it stands...
With the elongation, the pointwork can be upgraded from the A6 variety shown in the plan, the long wheel base wagons may look more than a touch precarious on such tight track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:55 am

mickeym wrote:
They are a bit long for shunting about on a plank that fits the SGWB criteria - So I added a few inches to the plan! Its now not a SGWB - but it does seem to have more play value; at least to me.

Well rules were made to be broken. I suppose Brunel thought of his 7' gauge as a standard. :thumb

But one aim of the SGW is to produce layouts that can easily be transported in an ordinary car. Does it fit yours? It's about the size of a coffin - maybe a second-hand hearse would do? ;)

Ian

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:49 pm

The rules say may be not shall be so the layout complies with the rules.

Regards

Alan

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Ian Everett wrote:
mickeym wrote:

Well rules were made to be broken. I suppose Brunel thought of his 7' gauge as a standard. :thumb

But one aim of the SGW is to produce layouts that can easily be transported in an ordinary car. Does it fit yours? It's about the size of a coffin - maybe a second-hand hearse would do? ;)

Ian

My vehicle of choice will always be a Ford Ranger or Hi Lux size pick up - so it does fit, as is.
Or I could put in a section and make it two (or more boards) - the main aim is to make it a "sort of " P4 layout - sort of as in my purity wont stand the first test of finescaliality....but it will look ok - i hope. Im a bit of a follower of President Rice when it comes to stuff

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”