Ex-LNWR shed, somewhere in South Wales.

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
philip-griffiths

Ex-LNWR shed, somewhere in South Wales.

Postby philip-griffiths » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:00 pm

I made a start on a layout for the 1883 challenge only to run into non modelling issues: a house move, a job move and a diagnosis of Aspergers for my son. I must admit that modelling has taken a back seat for many years.

The SGW project has been something that has been niggling for some time. I have indulged in sketching ideas, wagon works etc, but wanted something that could be extended at a later date. So this is the plan - drawn in Templot - a small ex-LNWR shed, a sub shed of Tredegar in South Wales. It serves a fictious branch off the Sirhowy line in a valley, created through geological fiction. The line is dug into the valley side to create a shelf, so behind the running line will be a high retaining wall, Aberbeeg comes to mind. The shed is a two road affair which goes off scene. A small coal hole is provided, aka Denbigh, and two carriage sidings act as a backdrop. The card buildings in the photos are there to help me visualise the scene. They are 20 yrs old and showing their age. The three locos have not been out of the packaging before today and the wagons are missing couplings, buffers and a bit of paint. The carriages need wheels, couplings and weathering. So lots to do, especially the re-gauging of the Super Ds and painting one with an LMS number. Hopefully is a way of getting me back modelling stock of all varieties.

SGW-1.jpg

sgw3.jpeg

SGW2.jpeg

sgw4.jpeg

The 1883 layout baseboards are sitting in the attic and I have ideas for bringing that project to fruition. Also because it is on a curve I never found a solution to how the curve section of Crumlin viaduct was built as the outside trusses look exactly like the inside trusses and yet should be longer. I may bring this project to fruition based upon the viaducts on the Abergavenny-Brynmawr section of the MTA, viaducts that I believe look impressive, 50 years after the trains last run. But that is for another day.

Hopefully I can pull this one off and produce something that is visually interesting, a pleasure to operate and a place to photograph the end product of my labours.

apologies for the sideways photos!

regards

Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noel

Re: Ex-LNWR shed, somewhere in South Wales.

Postby Noel » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 pm

An interesting design, Philip. Tredegar in minature. Is the line at the back going to be the local equivalent of the TIC lines?

So far as the Crumlin viaduct is concerned, are you aware of these two sites?
http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/crumlin.html
http://crumlinviaduct.co.uk/History.htm

Also https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Handbook_to_the_Crumlin_viaduct.html?id=XoEHAAAAQAAJ&hl=en Scroll down slightly for links to the text of the book.

Noel
Regards
Noel

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Noel wrote:An interesting design, Philip. Tredegar in minature. Is the line at the back going to be the local equivalent of the TIC lines?

So far as the Crumlin viaduct is concerned, are you aware of these two sites?
http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/crumlin.html
http://crumlinviaduct.co.uk/History.htm

Also https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Handbook_to_the_Crumlin_viaduct.html?id=XoEHAAAAQAAJ&hl=en Scroll down slightly for links to the text of the book.

Noel

Hello Noel,

I'm aware of the Crumlin viaduct site and the handbook I took notes from in the British Library some years ago. All the details I've read have dealt with the straight section and not the curved Kendon section.

I have version of Tredegar shed on templot. I scanned a 1940s map and scaled it as a background image and then built up the track plan on this. It looks really good. It is about 7 foot long from the back of the shed to the three sidings at the Ty-Trist end. The lines Behind the coal hole are the carriage sidings and then the running line. An earlier plan was based on the TIC lines with a small engine shed and wagon repair works.

Regards.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi, Philip and welcome to the workbench. This looks like a really interesting project - even if the buildings are old they look the part and the baseboard (particularly its legs) is fabulous!

It's good to see you starting up again, I remember fondly your earlier web site with its thorough-going exploration of the possibilities of the LNWR in south Wales. It really inspired me then and I look forward to seeing your further ideas taking shape now.

Do keep us informed!

Ian

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks Ian,

Thanks for the comments about that old website, it is still live, but unfortunately I do not have access to it as the account used to set it up is long expired and hence I cannot retrieve the password. I have the pages and diagrams stored somewhere if I ever re-establish it. It was a pioneering site on the web; looks grossly lame compared to some of today's offerings. Anyhow places like here and RMWeb have become more useful 'repositories'.

Yes the legs, unfortunately not very stable. the slope front to back is nearly as prototypical of the sides of the Rhymney valley at Aberbargoed. I hadn't realised until I saw the photos in preview that I had perfectly captured the poster of the local viaducts!

Yes hopefully Ian with a bit of encouragement from around here I'm hoping to get something together. The pressures of my son's education are reducing. His aspergers/dyslexia combination made primary and GCSE studies very difficult for him. Now he is free of English et al he is enjoying his sciences and maths at AS studies. Work continues to eat into modelling time, but I really need to return to modelling to 'shower the head'. The baseboard should be straightforward and so will the track (optimistically). However it was a shock to see how I had left the wagons, some with MJTs, others with Masokit springing systems, most not completed, other wagon bodies completed but nothing for an underframe. while looking for stuff to use on the mock-up I came across half-finished comet coach sides with no roofs, a lovely Stephenson Coach kit of an LNWR double-ended break and a part completed jinty. Lots of work; confidence is needed to return to those kits.

I sat today looking at the mock-up and remembered that I joined the society, partly because of encouragement from the late David Lane (Salisbury) and because I wanted to model the ex-LNWR and so needed to build models of super Ds, coal tanks and LNWR stock, also the track plan I then envisaged was difficult in PECO streamline. After reading Iain Rice's books on kit building, being caught by his prose and reading his other books, I came to love hand-built track. The thought crossed my mind that with all these rtr super Ds and the forthcoming rtr coal tank that I would not need to kit build if I was starting today. Then I remembered that if I wanted decent looking track then I'd need to build it, then why build it narrow gauge and with chasms for checkrails? :-)

regards

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:59 pm

philip-griffiths wrote:Thanks Ian,

...then why build it narrow gauge and with chasms for checkrails? :-)

regards

Didn't the original Sirhowy line look a bit like that?

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:20 am

Great to see you back Phillip. It has been a long time since E4um and S4um...

I see that the modelling Mojo will return once children, work and al, the other commitments become manageable and allow some time to get back to hobbies!

I like your layout idea... I guess once the time allows this could come around quickly as enthusiasm increases. I will be keen to see how you get on.

The new RTR and brassmasters easichassis will make the super D's and coal tanks easier to achieve than 15 odd years ago.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks for the comments Doug. Yes have one of the Brassmasters chassis. I have two of their super d kits as well and a Beames 0-8-4TH to build sometime.

It is the wheels that at present are a concern. Sometime ago I was warned that I needed to drill the Alan Gibson wheels for the crank pins accurately. I came up with the idea of a jig as I'll need loads of LNWR 4'6" h-spoke drivers. It is a pity that it hasn't been something that Ultrascale have been interested in.

Andrew - ha ha. It was flanged rail from 1802.

Regards.

jon price

Postby jon price » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 pm

I don't think you need to drill the AG LNWR H section wheels.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:24 am

Phillip, there was a jig in a MRJ in the last 20 or so (ok notoriously wrong numbering in my memory so tell me it was 40! :? ) where I think there was a jig made to do the off sets in a Ivatt Bachmann conversion. I have not had the need in all the gibson wheels I have used over the years.

You have got a lot further than I have with Templot!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 am

DougN wrote: there was a jig in a MRJ in the last 20 or so

Chris Pendlenton's crank pin drilling jig can be seen in MRJs 175 page 127, 200 page 205 and 219 page 309.

Terry Bendall

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 am

When I converted two Bachmann G2s a few years ago I don't remember having to drill the wheels for the crankpins. Some of the AG range (where the moulds came from the Studiolith range, I think) are not drilled and just have a dimple, but more recent production is pre-drilled. Do take note of Chris Pendlenton's warnings about less than perpendicular crankpin holes in some wheels though. I think the G2 wheels were OK.

Philip

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

I have some AG wheels for a G2A, obtained a two or three years ago from the EMGS, and they came with dimples...

Noel
Regards
Noel

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”