Mount Woodville Works

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Armchair Modeller

Re: Mount Woodville Works

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:25 am

Looks superb, Rob!

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Very very impressive indeed. Your modelling is always second to non.

The bottom right of the last pic to me gives the impression that the ash and muck has been incrementally scuffed and trapsed away from the door. If that was the intent it worked very well, if it wasn't the intent my imagination is intact so all good. It's these type of things that really help to make a believable scene.

Great stuff. :thumb
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Rob,

Admiring the buildings, I note that they seem to have substantial steel bands around them which are capable of being tightened as needed and that they are suported by 'nubs' of brick set out from the sides. Was this as they were originally built or were these added as later support.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:35 am

Armchair Modeller wrote:Looks superb, Rob!

Thanks Richard.

Knuckles wrote:Very very impressive indeed. Your modelling is always second to non.

The bottom right of the last pic to me gives the impression that the ash and muck has been incrementally scuffed and trapsed away from the door. If that was the intent it worked very well, if it wasn't the intent my imagination is intact so all good. It's these type of things that really help to make a believable scene.

Great stuff. :thumb

Gavin, your imagination is intact, I had not built up sufficient Das, like your explanation though…. :thumb

John Bateson wrote:Rob,

Admiring the buildings, I note that they seem to have substantial steel bands around them which are capable of being tightened as needed and that they are suported by 'nubs' of brick set out from the sides. Was this as they were originally built or were these added as later support.

John

John, I've found loads of photos of this type of kiln….from early and recent photos some had the 'nubs' others did not but may have been anchored into the brickwork by other means. I included the nubs as visually they gave more interest and to avoid the question of why don't the bands slip down with expansion and contraction.

Rob

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:03 am

All good.

Does my perception give you a good excuse to save some Das then? :D

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:08 pm

I need the excuse……weight watching……am on the 2nd Kg…... ;)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:23 pm

An update before a short break in York……….
Quite a few jobs have been going on since the last post, more Das and track work ballasting or should I say infilling with ash/clay.
The gantry which carries the steam pipe has been constructed………fun soldering up brass angle but made simpler with the RSU and a number of jigs. Work started on the boiler house (more painting to complete) which includes a couple of Lancashire boilers which have been loosely detailed with water gauges, rivets and pressure gauges……..

boilerhouse.jpg

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Looking bloomin' impressive, Rob. Liking the detail and atmos' much. Comes complete with erry smoke effect too.

As Iak would say, Wibblingly good Sir! :thumb

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Gavin.
Knuckles wrote:Comes complete with erry smoke effect too.

Methinks a mucky camera lens…..
R

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Looking great, Rob - as usual!

What are you using for your infilling with ash/clay, please? Eventually, I may well need something similar.

Richard

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Really coming together well Rob, did you do your arch windows on your silhouette cutter? I keep toying with investing in one.

Steve

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Looking great, Rob - as usual!

What are you using for your infilling with ash/clay, please? Eventually, I may well need something similar.

Richard

Richard, I'm just using Das where there are road ways. Compacted ash/clay would be smooth(ish), maybe the only texture would be potholes and in my case dropped lumps of clay or coal. When I was 'sourcing' my clay lumps and heaps I had some left over post concrete which had very small aggregate. I mixed up an ice cream tub, broke it out and then rubbed some broken bits together. I found that using tea strainers and sieves, some modified, I was able to get a number of fine to course grades of material. After glueing it is all painted, initially with more glue (Noch which dries clear and mat) and then artist's acrylics. I can let you have some if you wish when the time comes for your newer project which I'm following with great interest.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:49 pm

steve howe wrote:Really coming together well Rob, did you do your arch windows on your silhouette cutter? I keep toying with investing in one.

Steve

Steve, yup, the Silhouette. It has certainly covered its cost. Initially I drew up a proper brick arch but the detail was not that visible so I went for 'stone' arches instead to save blades.
I think you will find it a good investment…….roof tiles, windows, doors and much more. The software is not that brill but any vector software that outputs a dfx file is OK, I use Corel Draw.

I'm quite happy to put up the Silhouette files I have drawn in the 'Etching, 3D Printing and Other Artwork Files' if anyone wishes to use them.
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Many thanks for the description of your methods and materials Rob - also the offer of some supplies. I only hope they have a long shelf life. You may need them for your next layout and several after that, long before I am ready to use them ;)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:30 pm

The boiler house is now complete.

boiler-house01.jpg

The shovel and broom are from part of a Severn Models fret. The setts are as per Manston Brewery, cast in resin and individually stuck down.

boiler-house02.jpg

The ghost lettering proved a slight challenge. Initially I prepared a number of art works in Photoshop and printed them on decal paper. The problem was that the carrier was too obvious. So plan B. Lettering drawn up on the Silhouette, cut onto self adhesive label with the letters removed thus providing a stencil, stuck to the building and a light base coat of white paint sprayed on. The letters were then hand finished with acrylic paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RobM on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Looking good, nice pile of crap in the corner!

I particularly like the chipped door bottom and all the gunk spread up it. I'm thinking maybe it represents ash mixed with steam and smoke thus creating a sort of gunk paste?

Inspirational stuff this.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 am

Thanks Gavin…….
Knuckles wrote:I particularly like the chipped door bottom and all the gunk spread up it. I'm thinking maybe it represents ash mixed with steam and smoke thus creating a sort of gunk paste?

Yup, just general grime. Most of my 'day job' involves rust and decay so I'm in my element………
Rob

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:13 am

Great stuff Rob. What's next?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks Jim. Next is the back scene so I can get some of the buildings permanently fixed and bedded in. The original plan was to use an old roller blind so that I could paint it on the bench with oil paints and then glue in place. A coat of acrylic gesso and the blind material cockled very badly…….an ironing didn't sort it so the back scene will be painted in situ (the back and side boards are integral with the base). The sky will not be a problem but the back ground buildings will have to be painted upside down.
Rob

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:41 pm

RobM wrote:...but the back ground buildings will have to be painted upside down.

I was amused by the thought of Rob hanging bat like form his studio ceiling while painting his back scene, but I am now coming to terms with other possible readings.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:46 pm

The mind boggles…... :D :D

bat-like.jpg

….but gravity will pull the beard over my eyes……...

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:33 pm

:D
Another Forum Snooze entry maybe?
Lovin' this.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:07 pm

The last 6 weeks has seen the last of the Das laid into ash roadways. Quite a bit of time was taken up ensuring that rolling stock was not fouled. One of the points had seized and the problem eventually traced to paint getting under a switch rail and 'gluing it to the slide chair.
Most of the back scene has been painted, not a work of art due to the awkward position which had to be adopted. I kept it all simple just to give the illusion of the transition from the 3 dimensional to the 2 dimensional.
The boiler house, steam pipe and gantry, the building it serves and water tank have now been permanently fixed.

sept2016.jpg

Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Great work Rob!

When will the scale bricks go on sale?

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks Richard…..we only manufacture fire bricks (various sizes) and blue stable bricks along with glazed socket drain pipes, terra cotta chimney pots, etc.
Rob

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”