Mount Woodville Works

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
RobM

Re: Mount Woodville Works

Postby RobM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 pm

There is a little more info at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120211-mckechnie-metals-widnes-copper-works/
I'm more inclined (on the NLS maps) to go west to the copper works rather than the Widnes iron or metal works......guess you may have already seen it. Interesting internal railway.....just need the buildings!
Rob

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm

RobM wrote:There is a little more info at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120211-mckechnie-metals-widnes-copper-works/
I'm more inclined (on the NLS maps) to go west to the copper works rather than the Widnes iron or metal works......guess you may have already seen it. Interesting internal railway.....just need the buildings!
Rob

Not only seen it - I wrote it! It is the double slip in an industrial situation that attracted me, especially one that appears to be very 'tight'. The maps of Widnes that are linked to on the thread are amazing. So much industrial track in such a relatively small area. The old grey matter churns!

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 am

Enigma wrote:Not only seen it - I wrote it!

That explains it......... :oops:
Enigma wrote:The maps of Widnes that are linked to on the thread are amazing. So much industrial track in such a relatively small area. The old grey matter churns!

Certainly amazing. The 'U' shaped building (under 'Ditton Copper Wks') survives.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Onwards with the shock opens........and so far so good with the clasp brakes, less fragile than the Morton brakes. Couldn't manage the overlays on the brake operating gear but it cannot be seen with the wagon on the track.
I built up Justin's shock absorbing springs only to find that once the body is added you cannot see the internal bits. However, the end brackets and cover are more convincing than the Parkside's assembly.
With the brake guards I did manage to fry one. I had attached the bracket to the sole bar and when attempting to solder the guard to the bracket the top melted. There is a spare on the etch so it was made up including the bracket then soldered to the sole bar by touching the top plate.

shock-chassis.jpg

Managed to get one of the swan neck vacuum pipe brackets but on fitting the second one was just about to press the foot switch on the RSU when it 'pinged' from the tweezers and never to be seen again. Anyway, I do have a spare from the Morton etches.
Overall, many lessons learnt!
Just a few tweaks to do, get some buffers at S4North then onto the body.
R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Scalefour North today, excellent show, £220 in my wallet and came away with just £20..........Yup, an RSH from High Level for Mount Woodville, buffers for the shocks from Lanarkshire Models and some of Justin's detailing, also for the shocks...........some wheels from Alan Gibson and a load of bits and bobs from Eileen's so busy, busy for the next few months........
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Not been idle for the last couple of months although 3 weeks was taken up touring Scotland.
Have been working on the traverser and point control, still to work out how to lock the traverser in place. Was not sure where to put the controls and ended up having it secured but removable on the traverser. The base unit sits at the back of the board. Many things still to do but slowly ticking off the list.

traverser.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Nice to see more progress, Rob!

Your idea of mounting the controller on the traverser is an interesting idea. Those sidings on the traverser look incredibly short though! I guess that is all you need, really. Out of curiosity, what is the total length of the layout, including the traverser?

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 am

Armchair Modeller wrote:Those sidings on the traverser look incredibly short though! I guess that is all you need, really. Out of curiosity, what is the total length of the layout, including the traverser?

The kind of operation would involve no more than 3 main line wagons or 4 of the internal wagons being shuffled around so the sidings were kept short to accommodate this plus I had to consider the room in the car!
Overall length of layout including traverser is 1900mm.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Well 9 and a bit weeks before Scaleforum so no pressure! Still got a list of things to be done including an RSH to build, more rolling stock to sort, trestles and lighting rig plus other bits and bobs. I may cheat with the RSH and use a chassis from one of Manston's locos which are nicely run in. The Ruston is proving a pig at the moment which I put down to lack of weight and not being able to get a B to B gauge in due to the current gear box arrangement. Manston's locos work fine on the layout......so the Ruston may be relegated to just working a line at the back of the layout.
Laying up the motorhome for a while whilst I crack on............
Like 'Armchair Modeller' there will be no further updates, so come and talk to me at Scaleforum
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Shame about the Ruston. Mine has been relegated to the "Things to do after Scaleforum" pile. I reckon I have enough locos now for a token demonstration of movement.

I do hope everything goes well with your preparations. To be honest though, your layout would be well worth seeing just a static model, Rob. Having things moving is just a bonus ;)

Looking forward to seeing you and MVW at the show!

Best wishes

Richard

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Well I said no further updates but couldn't resist one more........
RSH built and painted so there will be movement. Will try and get the Ruston sorted. Currently painting figures and slowly ticking off the list of things to do. Here is the RSH trundling a truck to the pipe mill..........

RSH.jpg

Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:14 pm

First class, Rob! Can't wait to see it at Scaleforum!

Richard

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Looking forward to seeing this at Scaleforum too!

Chris

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 am

Bloody love your modelling efforts and results. Everything is so convincingly mingin' in a good way!

Your progress speed is inspiring too.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks for the responses.......still battling away with only 3 weeks available to work before Scaleforum.......the cataracts have deteriorated of late and despite all optical aids am struggling with some of the finer stuff......Fox transfers arrived today for the shock opens and I cannot see the numbers!!!....so, there will still be a few finer details to be done after Scaleforum. On the positive side I am now on the NHS waiting list to get my eyes sorted.
Look forward to seeing you all....
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Ruston now working OK (ish).....added a load more lead in every nook and cranny which seems to have done the trick. Have been working on last minute bits and pieces although keep finding new bits to sort... :( .... There is one area which will be dedicated for road vehicle loading but this may well be blank for the weekend, plus I wanted to add a further steam pipe supply but that has to be on the back burner.
Today was spent pondering how to load the car.....many measurements taken, many permutations considered but think I've cracked it although I don't seem to have any room for my high chair which may mean I'll have to stand all weekend and for one of my age (can boast seeing Jimi Hendrix live!!!!) that may be a pain...... :( .......anyway, looking forward to Scaleforum and meeting old and new acquaintances......
Rob

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 am

RobM wrote:although I don't seem to have any room for my high chair

In which case Rob you will have to sit very still whilst you eat your lunch. :D :D :D . If you ask very nicely we will probably be able to find you a suitable seat.

At Scaleforum we try to look after our exhibitors. :)

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 am

Terry Bendall wrote:

In which case Rob you will have to sit very still whilst you eat your lunch. :D :D :D .

:D :D :lol:
Tim Lee

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:

In which case Rob you will have to sit very still whilst you eat your lunch. :D :D :D . If you ask very nicely we will probably be able to find you a suitable seat.

Terry Bendall

I'll also need a Tommee Tippee cup.......... ;)

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 am

RobM wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote:

Terry Bendall

I'll also need a Tommee Tippee cup.......... ;)

And one of those plastic bibs with a trough at the bottom. 8-)

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Enigma wrote:
And one of those plastic bibs with a trough at the bottom. 8-)

Paul, got a blue one......already packed.... ;)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks Monty...

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 pm

In defence of the "texting whilst driving driver" I was sending a clutch of photos to one of my mates who was mighty impressed - does that make you feel better Rob?

Here are some more photos of a rather fine model:

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG
Mark Tatlow

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am

Excellent photos Mark. I could not sack you for the misdemeanor as Jen and I wanted a further half hour to get around the show.... ;)
Thanks again for holding the fort.... :thumb
Rob

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:50 am

RobM wrote:Excellent photos Mark. I could not sack you for the misdemeanor as Jen and I wanted a further half hour to get around the show.... ;)
Thanks again for holding the fort.... :thumb
Rob

Nice photos .... but fascinating how unless very carefully staged as a formal photo shoot photos very rarely do the model justice. My impression of Mount Woodville was 2 levels up from the photos ... but then the eye has a great ability to focus on what is of interest and let extraneous material such as the show in the background etc fade away. Also, for me the colours were more muted and realistic in the flesh ... this was one aspect I was eager to see as when Rob posts his photos on line the details are always stunning but sometimes the distant images lose depth and the colours appear a little over bright (this set up a duality that I was not sure existed) ... definitely not the case in the flesh. Loved the whole thing.

Tim
Tim Lee

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”