Chillington Wharf

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Lucy

Chillington Wharf

Postby Lucy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 am

Hi all,
I've started a small 'side project' layout that fits into the criteria of SGW so I thought I'd document its progress here.

The layout is based on Chillington Wharf, which is part of Wolverhampton Steel Terminal, set in the early 90's when it was in a dilapidated state. The scenic section is 24" x 56" and the viewing side is the 24" end rather than the conventional larger side. This is the view you'd get when standing on the canal bridge/tow path. This also means that the mainline is an ideal backdrop.

The traversing crane, a Babcock & Wilcox Ltd 10-ton overhead crane, was disused by the 90’s but forms an interesting structure for the layout.

Photos of the actual location are on my blog.

Ian Everett

Re: Chillington Wharf

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 am

Hi, Lucy,
that looks like a splendid subject - compact, just the right size and with some super structures to model.

I do hope it won't be quite as dilapidated as your photos of the real subject - it looks more derelict than dilapidated and with not much in the way of trains! I imagine it was built with high hopes for the traffic it would generate and with some nice 08, pannier or Jinty shunters, depending on taste it would be super. But not blue or multi-coloured - nice blackberry black, please - but that's just my prejudice!

I can't work out where the can is. I presume the view will be towards the fiddle yard end?

I'll be following with interest.

Ian

Lucy

Re: Chillington Wharf

Postby Lucy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 am

Ian Everett wrote:I do hope it won't be quite as dilapidated as your photos of the real subject - it looks more derelict than dilapidated and with not much in the way of trains!

It was just starting to become unmaintained in the early 90's. The cover over the basin only having a few panels missing and showing signs that general repair was needed. Those photos were taken last Saturday, the track has now been lift. The building and the basin remain the last of its kind in the UK, and has a preservation order over it. I think it's fair to assume it will be left to fall down :(

Ian Everett wrote:I can't work out where the can is. I presume the view will be towards the fiddle yard end?

Yes, the canal and entrance to the basin is to the left of the photo.

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”