Perhaps a not so good idea...

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
johnWM

Re: Perhaps a not so good idea...

Postby johnWM » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:13 pm

I thought you might like to know what the view between the buildings at the left of your proposed model looks like from the other side.

It must be one of the pictures that has influenced Trevor Nunn's superb S scale models.
The picture link is to this website,
http://www.wellsnextthesea.info/Wellsne ... BW/BW.html
to get more views follow the link to the East Quay and also the link to the harbour buildings.

On the same website is a track plan, not that you really need one, but it does give clues about how the harbour branch would have been operated as it includes the run round loop by the allotments. Interestingly, an extra building appears in the above photo that is not shown in the plan. (in the photo there appears to be no gap in the buildings on the left, but there is a gap shown on the map)

KK92

Postby KK92 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for posting that picture. Somehow I missed that.

It will certainly help to get the athmosphere and build texture right.

That 'street track' must have been an absolute nuissance for pedestrians and vehicles alike.

KK92

Postby KK92 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 am

Some progress at least...

Well not in 18.83 mm gauge but the surrounds just do not need to be neglected.
This is my first attempt an scratch building buildings:

P1000300.JPG

P1000304.JPG

P1000304.JPG

These are the buildings that will hide the fore ground of the right side exit into the fiddle yard.

They are mainly build from old Vollmer brick plastic sheet I found (it still had the DM price on it and was made in West Germany, so that was bought before the reunification!) and Wills sheet taken from their semidetached crafts man kit.

The dimensions are just guessed. The second (half relief) building has not got the final treatment weathering and detail wise.

The Bullards advertisement was drawn on the computer using some free lug in for the open office word processing program. It is not 100% accurate as I was not able to use different font sizes in the bent writing. The whole lot is collated from thre different elements.

The bent name
the "And"
The "unrivalled Norwich Ales"

The whole thing was printed on a beige paper and glued to the western wall.

Besides that I managed to build a A6L point with the ply and rivet method. It has an integrated Tortoise point motor but lacks chairs etc.

Perhaps more of this later.

The main problem that will hinder further progress is the now good weather and that my two weeks vacations have come to an end.

There is this big distraction in the garden:
DSCN1296.JPG

No, it is not fine scale but narrow gauge although the gauge is wider than 18.83 mm :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

MPR wrote:Saw this on DP Review - a lovely selection of colour slides from August 1939.
You might want to check out image 20...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/25/1939-england-in-color-part-1/20

Best wishes

Martin

And the rest are worth a look.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

MPR

Postby MPR » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:26 pm

The 3rd part of the series of 1939 colour photographs is now posted to DP Review - it has further colour views of Wells

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/06/08/1939-england-in-color-part-3/9

Regards

Martin

KK92

Postby KK92 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 am

Oh dear,

Has it really been 2,5 years since I last posted something here? :shock:

No, the Wells Harbour branch is not dead. It is still alive but has not developed...

However some impetus has been gained and after a lot of distractions I finally got down to build some things.

The main obstacle in proceeding was the lessening eyesight with my old glasses it made working the sometimes tiny bits a real pain. With some new glasses it has improved and just to get back into building I have swung the soldering iron at both an Ince three box coal wagon (no pictures taken yet but will be supplied when I managed to get the sloppy painting of the iron work remedied) and a locomotive kit. I know the theme does not really warrant such a wagon on the Wells harbour branch but read on...

The second victim of my soldiering with soldering is a Mercian Kit of the MET 0-6-0 ST Peckett. I know, far to way off but I simply like it too much to be left in flat sheet (... and I already had all the necessary additional items around). I finally managed to build a crude compensated chassis, that I'm currently trying to convince to run. More of this perhaps later in a different thread if the audience wishes too...

So what I'm really into...

Well as already mentioned here, the original Wells Harbour branch was only worked by locomotives to the first sidings, from there on horse and later lorries took over as motive power. However with the knowledge of Well being one of the most important ports in Tudor times the following scenario does not seem completely impossible.

->Let's assume that due to a still considerable landing of goods loco motive working over the whole harbour branch was more economical.
->Let's assume further that the Wells Harbour Commissioners have taken over the whole handling of the traffic in and to the harbour from Wells station.

A High Level Black Hawthorn lettered for the Wells Harbour Commissioners with running rights into Wells station may have taken over the duties of the horse and serves the harbour branch a few times over the day. I really like the look of the NRM Black Hawthorn (http://nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/locomotivesandrollingstock/collectionitem?objid=1953-354) especially the look of the paint.

The traffic would include:

->Domestic coal because of the convenient location to the town centre
->Bunkering coal for the steam ships calling at Wells harbour (here is where the Ince wagon comes into play) ;)
->Grain
->Agricultural products
->Malt
->Stone and pilings for coastal protection
->Fish

well you get the picture...

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Klaus, pleased to see that progress will be made and yes...there is an audience here........ :).......See this as a model clinker built boat project (up on the mud with the tide out) with a railway running through.
Many holidays in the Wells area so know it well........
Keep sharing.........
Rob

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:02 pm

KK92 wrote:

A High Level Black Hawthorn lettered for the Wells Harbour Commissioners with running rights into Wells station may have taken over the duties of the horse and serves the harbour branch a few times over the day. I really like the look of the NRM Black Hawthorn (http://nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/locomotivesandrollingstock/collectionitem?objid=1953-354) especially the look of the paint.

It's the state of the dumb buffers that impresses me - balsa wood blocks dumped in a glass of a well-known Cola drink for half an hour, then covered with a 5 thou plastikard flitch plate that has been wafted over the fumes of Daywat Poly, maybe?
David L-T

KK92

Postby KK92 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Many thanks for the kind comments and the encouragement.

Yes, there will be Whelk boats, os something that can stand in for them.

OK, the order for a Black Hawthorn is out and besides the lettering the bunkering of coal could commence in Wells Harbour (The shiny spots is not yet dried paint, :wink: ):

P1000791.JPG

Judjing from the photo there is still some brushwork necessary. These pictures are so unforgiving, but a good tool.

The actual loco project. please note that the parts have just been arranged on the chassis, not yet fixed and far from being assembled:
P1000794.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”