Trains on this line are subject to delays.

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Natalie Graham

Trains on this line are subject to delays.

Postby Natalie Graham » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 am

Well At least I have got to starting my thread.

When I knew the Standard Gauge Workbench was in the offing I could not wait to get started, but things have not turned out as expected. First it was house renovating that took more time and money) than expected. Then an extended spell of hospital visiting to Aberdeen Royal infirmary, a daily round trip of 70 miles, and then home care for my elderly mother. Then she had another spell of ill health and I thought I was going to lose her. She is much recovered now though and had a good Christmas but for a while modelling wasn't really in my thoughts. Then the storms on Christmas Eve wrecked a large part of the roof on my workshop. We had the strongest recorded gusts in the county up here (82mph in Peterhead) and it was quite frightening watching the whole of a roof being lifted several feet into the air and crashing down onto the walls again. At one point it was coming down so violently that it was knocking stones out of the walls. Those walls are two feet thick granite and have been there since at least 1850. Most of the roof collapsed inwards so thankfully it didn't cause damage elsewhere. A section of roof about 4 metres square was actually flipped upside down landing inside the walls underneath the rest of it. The few fine days since have been spent with a ladder and a large angle grinder clearing the wreckage onto a large pile of corrugated iron and a large pile of broken timbers. Another fine day should see it cleared and I can build a new wall at the point where the roof still remains and then rebuild the rest in the summer. Apart from being time consuming this part of the building was where my baseboard materials for my SGW entry were stored so they are underneath the remains of the roof.

I do intend to build a SGW entry, really I do, but so far events seem to have conspired against it. Eventually updates on an actual layout should appear here but I thought I would post to show I hadn't forgotten about it.

DougN

Re: Trains on this line are subject to delays.

Postby DougN » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 am

No good to hear all that Nat, if I was a little closer I would be happy to give you a hand. Good to hear that no one was injured and all it is a bit of a building. The next time some more tie downs in the roof will be required. It is one of the problems with light weight roofs. Any how modelling could be done inside! I keep thinking about the challenge but on this side of the world makes it all too challenging to show at scalefourum... Good luck with the clean up. I hope things survived underneath.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks Doug. Most of this was a pretty heavily constructed roof with 6x3 timbers clad with inch thick boards and then the corrugated sheet fixed to 3x3 purlins over that. It is certainly solid now I am having to dismantle it. The problem was that at some time someone had extended it by about six feet and the timber end wall had rotted and been removed and timber posts put in to hold up the roof. It needed replacing at some point but I was hoping to just rebuild the wall not have to replace the roof as well.The wind was blowing straight in through the open end lifting the roof so those supports eventually fell out underneath. I only moved here a year ago but I think it had been like that for some time without incident. It certainly was a wild storm. And yes the new roof will be well fastened down .

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

Fear not Natalie -there are more important things than model railways (my wife keeps telling me) and there is no timescale for the SGW.

I hope all goes well with the roof and your mother keeps well and look forward to hearing more news of the railway in due course.

Ian

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Dramatic stuff, Natalie. It was bad enough a little further south, and those who complained about the railways, roads, bridges and ferries being closed, just didn't know what they were talking about.
All good wishes for the rebuild. One can't help reflecting on what a varied hobby this is . . .

Jim

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Natalie Graham wrote: Another fine day should see it cleared and I can build a new wall at the point where the roof still remains and then rebuild the rest in the summer.

So much for that idea as today's gales strip the rest of the roof. :( At this rate there'll be nothing left by the time the weather is calm enough to sort it out.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 am

Hi, Natalie,

I wonder how things are? I imagine that you have been up to your eyes with roof repairs and have not been able to give much thought about the SGW but when things are calmer I hope you can let us know your thoughts re the project.

Best wishes,

Ian

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”