Mintons End

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Amck

Mintons End

Postby Amck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:20 pm

After many years of "armchair modelling", constructing the odd wagon or building with nowhere proper to put them. This four foot eight inches idea seems to be the catalyst to build the layout I always promised myself.
My idea is a free lance cross country single line, circa 1955, no exact location as yet but in former LMS territory. The plan shown in Barry Norman style is one quarter scale and turnouts are 1:6 crossing angle.

Plan2.JPG

Plan5b.JPG

It looks better with a few mock up structures. These were not intended for this plan but serve the purpose. The bad news, I haven't started the baseboard yet, the good news,the goods shed is half way there.

GS-con6.w.JPG

GS-con7.w.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noel

Re: Mintons End

Postby Noel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:04 pm

I don't want or intend to discourage you, but offer the following thoughts arising from BoT rules and commercial reality:

If the two lines exiting to the left are intended to represent the end of a loop used [or formerly used] on both sides by passenger trains, then all three sidings should have catch points at their exits. If only the line immediate in front of the signal box is or was a passenger line, then the industrial siding at the back should have a catch point, although the other two sidings then do not then need them. [I am assuming the line has, or had until recently, a passenger service as it is a cross-country line pre-Beeching...]

Also, a railway premises giving a home to a haulage contractor [a direct competitor] is unlikely, but this is, I suggest, the implication of the exit via the goods yard, which would be railway property. An exit from those premises which is not via the goods yard is possible.

On grounds of cost the use of arches leading to the bridge is unlikely except in areas which were built up before the railway arrived, leading to a need to conserve space. Otherwise an embankment would be more likely, and would be more consistent with the trees etc. shown.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Amck

Postby Amck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Thank you for your observations,I shall take them on board as I progress. Only the line in front of the signal box will be used for through passenger traffic. A catch point on the siding can easily be installed.
As for the haulage yard, it is only an idea, it could be any type of business. The reason I made the bridge with building atop was to hide the hole in the sky exit to the fiddle yard. It could be replaced by a building with a road entrance to the yard.
I neglected to say this might only be one end of a 12 foot layout, so alterations will be made.

Amck

Postby Amck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Goods 6.jpg
After a long absence I have a little to add to my project. The goods shed is more or less finished, one or two details I am not happy with but gives the impression I wanted, a run down structure in need of some maintenance .
I thought a bit about going to the trouble of lights but why model the interior if you have to strain your eyes to see it .
Goods 8.JPG

Goods 11.JPG

Goods 13.JPG

I have still not made the room needed to do a 2' 6'' wide baseboard, plenty length but not width. So I decided to make the industry on the mock up to be one end of the abattoir I have promised myself to build. This is the lairage, so using the Ratio kit as a starter I have added another seven pens, some of which will be covered,(more lights)seen here nowhere near finished.
Cattle Pen 3.JPG

I hope now to proceed at a much faster rate. time will tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”