Manston Brewery Ltd - A Brewery Railway

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Ian Everett

Re: Manston Brewery Ltd

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 am

RobM wrote:Bit more progress...........

Ah, wedges! I feel much safer now.

Ian.

P.S. Lovely stuff.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote

Some nice weathering on the casks, I see!

What is the stationary boiler - a kit or a home made job? I like the detail like the riveting etc.

The casks were not deliberately weathered just painted using artists acrylics, squeezing out a grey, a brown and white and just varying the mix as I went along so as to avoid a uniform colour.

The stationary boiler is a Gem white metal kit. The ashpan was fabricated out of plastic. Need to make the smoke door handle/dart.

DougN wrote
Rob, what can I say? This is looking so fantastic I hope you have the opportunity to exhibit it it has really captured my interest in small industry layouts. I am even considering another RSH just for fun. As an aside my RSH has started running trials. Still considering taking the back of the cab off.

I thought you had completely soldered up the cab..........I will remove half of the back on the next one I build.

Clecklewyke wrote
Ah, wedges! I feel much safer now.

Ian.

P.S. Lovely stuff.

Had a visit from the HSE...........

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Your right Rob, I have soldered up the back of the cab but I like doing things the hard way! :o it is getting to the sharp end as I can now do the last of these changes and do a clean and paint the body and under boiler... The chassis needs some fiddling.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

Rob I just had a bit of a look through the thread... I have noticed something. Every time you put up a photo there is more casks/barrels first photo, 7, second photo 49 more, third photo... Another 28, forth photo the pile.... I am a little concerned the next photo could mean the layout has disappeared under the barrels. .... :shock:

Yours concerned of Blackburn...
Doug

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 am

DougN wrote:Rob I just had a bit of a look through the thread... I have noticed something. Every time you put up a photo there is more casks/barrels first photo, 7, second photo 49 more, third photo... Another 28, forth photo the pile.... I am a little concerned the next photo could mean the layout has disappeared under the barrels. .... :shock:

If they are empty casks, where is all the beer going? (I can guess.) :wink:

Ian

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:00 pm

DougN wrote:Rob I just had a bit of a look through the thread... I have noticed something. Every time you put up a photo there is more casks/barrels first photo, 7, second photo 49 more, third photo... Another 28, forth photo the pile.... I am a little concerned the next photo could mean the layout has disappeared under the barrels. .... :shock:

Doug, yup there is a fear of that...........total number of visible barrels is now about 200.............

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

clecklewyke wrote:
If they are empty casks, where is all the beer going? (I can guess.) :wink:

Ian

Ian, I wish....... ;)

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Smashing layout Rob, :thumb any chance of a track plan and some dimensions?

Steve

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:57 pm

RobM wrote:

Doug, yup there is a fear of that...........total number of visible barrels is now about 200.............

I think the message is clear; RobM is a bit of a Wino...well, Beero. Or is it whisky?

Model railways can be made as fantasy, maybe that is what this is. :D I like a good real ale. Abbot Ale, London Pride etc.

Excelent work though. I've missed a lot of progress so looking through the thread has much new to me. Really inspiring. I wish to say the foreground and background buildings have created tons of depth. Looking at the layout gives impression that the scene is much bigger.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 am

Knuckles wrote:I think the message is clear; RobM is a bit of a Wino...well, Beero. Or is it whisky?

Hit the nail on the head........ :D
Wine - very infrequent, beer - occasionally, a good whisky is my preferred tipple..........
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

steve howe wrote:Smashing layout Rob, :thumb any chance of a track plan and some dimensions?

Steve

Steve, somehow I missed your post.........
I have not drawn up a track plan except for the Templot templates, the opening post shows the track layout.
Dimensions are 41 5/8" x 18 1/2"
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Have been concentrating on finishing the front right and resisting the temptation to flit about although the building at the rear right is now built and just needs painting. (The camera lens has distorted the horizontals and verticals......)

The diorama/layout is now fully boxed in with its own lighting.

And yup, more barrels............but what is a brewery without them..........
Rob

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Rob Quite brilliant. I am not sure but does there need to be a broken barrell around some where? Also I guess the boiler might end up with the bits lying around it some rings but a few (what do you call the timbers from the side of a barrel? there must be special name for them)bits around.I hope the infestation of barrels must now be close to being complete!
Doug

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:42 am

Staves
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 am

DougN wrote:Rob Quite brilliant. I am not sure but does there need to be a broken barrell around some where? Also I guess the boiler might end up with the bits lying around it some rings but a few (what do you call the timbers from the side of a barrel? there must be special name for them)bits around.I hope the infestation of barrels must now be close to being complete!

Doug, OK, whilst I said I was resisting the temptation of flitting around I have to admit I have been experimenting at making barrels without the heads and with staves missing using plasticard. Once I get the right taper on the stave I'll have a go using wood veneer.

I have been able to make a pile of hoops.......OK, maybe a little too wide but something to sort in the future........

Also plan to make some barrels partly made plus some of the tools used in a cooperage. There will be a wood pile near to the boiler which will include old and broken staves.
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:54 am

Looking really great, Rob :thumb

I think we all need to give you a chance to finish it though, before we comment too much about what else you ought to add. :D

Difficult to believe it has only taken a few months for you to get this far. You are obviously far more focussed than I! :thumb

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Looking really great, Rob :thumb

I think we all need to give you a chance to finish it though, before we comment too much about what else you ought to add. :D

Difficult to believe it has only taken a few months for you to get this far. You are obviously far more focussed than I! :thumb

Thanks Richard.........I'm always open to suggestions though I've got a list of what I think needs adding. I started this in January so coming up for 9 months.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:05 pm

And a broken barrel for Doug................

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:13 pm

RobM wrote:I started this in January so coming up for 9 months.
Rob

Well, 9 months really isn't a very long time - unless you are somebody like a football manager, maybe ;)

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Perfect Rob... Thought that they would need to start the fire with something! For only 9 months you have done a fantastic job. :D
Doug

RobM

Re: Manston Brewery Ltd - A Brewery Railway

Postby RobM » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm

The right hand end now complete, just some detailing to do............

The RHS has been lightly weathered and the name and makers plates added.

Time to start on the final building and lay the setts on the left hand end............

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Looking good, Rob :thumb

Can't help thinking the steam boiler, coal supply area should be covered in though - possibly with an open-sided shed? - Or is the weather supposed to be perpetually hot and sunny, like in Newstead? ;)

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:43 pm

The reference photo I am using show 2 lancashire boilers and coal supply totally in the open although the photo is undated, although it must be quite early due to the presence of a horse and cart.......I had thought of some form of covering but due to my lack of planning there would have been too many blockers in a small area........much more planning will go into version II......... ;)
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Yep - I agree the blocker issue would be a problem. Interesting that the Lancashire boilers were totally out in the open though.

Version II? Blimey, I thought I was the only one that couldn't finish anything before I dreamt up a "better" one. :shock:

At least the barrels should be recyclable. :D

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Rob / All,

Great model Rob! Just re boilers in the open, colliery boilers often were out in the open, however, a roof would always be provided to shelter the firebeaters (there were no "stokers" unless of the mechanical variety!). So perhaps a little corrugated iron roof over the firehole end could be rigged up without being too obtrusive?

Best wishes,

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”