SGW Lime St Loco Depot

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
Ian Everett

SGW Lime St Loco Depot

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Time for some grist for the mill.

The original loco depot serving Lime St station was tiny - just four roads radiating from a small turntable. They served a small oblong shed over which was a large water tank. There also appears to have been small wooden coaling platform: locos were manually coaled. Although it is now unused I believe that most of the buildings still stand.

Jack Nelson’s wonderful LNWR Portrayed has more detailed information.

I have always liked the look of this. It is beautifully modelogenic, as it is enfolded by the enormous rock cutting in which Lime Street was built, and it would fit nicely on Bradford North Western station as a sub-depot of Gormley Junction, serving the tank locos used on local services.

I even went as far as making a small-scale mock-up, using photocopies of Nelson’s drawings as a basis:

P1050933.jpg
P1050934.jpg

(Edit)

I forgot to mention that someone has beaten me to this - but in 2mm scale. Details of his lovely work are here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37994-liverpool-lime-street-2mm-finescale/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Natalie Graham

Re: SGW Lime St Loco Depot

Postby Natalie Graham » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:51 pm

But he threw his out and never finished it. :(

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Natalie Graham wrote:But he threw his out and never finished it. :(

I did ask if he'd put it in the 3D photocopier* and blow it up 200% but no...

* = 1 X scanner + 1 X 3D printer

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:25 am

The LNWR Society will have a stand at S4um. One of the LNWRS members attending has some knowledge of building a model of Liverpool Lime Street. I'll ask him to be prepared should anyone be interested in Ian's idea.

Jol

dave_long

Postby dave_long » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:35 am

clecklewyke wrote:
Natalie Graham wrote:But he threw his out and never finished it. :(

I did ask if he'd put it in the 3D photocopier* and blow it up 200% but no...

* = 1 X scanner + 1 X 3D printer

Just ask for some photos, and 3d print no need for a scanner/copier http://www.123dapp.com/catch. -- very clever.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:29 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:The LNWR Society will have a stand at S4um. One of the LNWRS members attending has some knowledge of building a model of Liverpool Lime Street. I'll ask him to be prepared should anyone be interested in Ian's idea.

Jol

Not THE model of Lime Street as featured in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/ ?

Wow!

Ian

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 am

This is a great subject for a diorama - I am amazed that it has not been tried many times before. Having followed the development of the 2mm model on RMweb, I did consider this myself in P4 a year or so ago - but decided to do something based on Wantage instead.

I got as far as drawing a plan out in 4mm scale and building a rough full-size mock-up in card and foamboard. I would definitely have been tempted to make the space between the turntable and the entrance to the loco shed a bit longer, to reduce the very severe clearance problems. Even tank locos have quite a significant overhang on sharp curves.

Good luck with the model. I will follow this with great interest!

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 pm

clecklewyke wrote:
Jol Wilkinson wrote:The LNWR Society will have a stand at S4um. One of the LNWRS members attending has some knowledge of building a model of Liverpool Lime Street. I'll ask him to be prepared should anyone be interested in Ian's idea.

Jol

Not THE model of Lime Street as featured in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/ ?

Wow!

Ian

No Ian, not John Holden's Liverpool Lime Street.

This modeller is perhaps a little less well known, although his delightful model of Stanmore did appear in issue No. 1 of MRJ

Jol

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:51 pm

I am pleased to be able to report that the "rules" for the SG Workbench now allow a turntable instead of a couple of turnouts (see latest Snooze No 184). So the plan of Lime St MPD shown above would be eligible without modification.

Ian

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”