Arlington Colliery

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
RobM

Re: Arlington Colliery

Postby RobM » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:31 pm

Thanks Richard. Still are a few jobs to do, yes, a bit more weathering. The black and yellow stripes were fun, got some yellow stripe transfers but trying to space them was difficult plus the fact the body (which the buffer beams are attached to) had to be up ended to work on. Soon gave up that idea so it was down to using 2mm masking tape and spraying. Couplings to add and pick ups to make and fit along with a chip, nearly forgot and a driver!
Rob

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue May 03, 2022 6:16 pm

Hi Rob, :D
this is my first post in ages as I have been suffering the effects of long covid, Due to it I have not managed to progress Scotts Road, but will get back to it in the summer, I hope. Your model is very good indeed, How did you make the wheels, I had a go at making some years ago and they are not easy to get right.

Allan :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue May 10, 2022 5:44 am

Hi Allan,
The wheels are Gibson's.
Get well soon.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:41 pm

The good summer got in the way, trips away, gardening etc.
A few months ago it was back to 'work'.
Dec22-update-02.jpg

Finally got all the ground works finished around the screens and also built a fan housing.

Dec22-update.jpg

The start of detailing around the compressed air tank, still more to add.
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:32 pm

Stunning as usual Rob.
Glad you are busy again.
Regards,
Ken

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:11 am

Guess it is time for an update......

800-March-2023-1.jpg
View of the right side of the layout. The fan housing stands in the far corner with its two ventilation shafts.

800-March-2023-3.jpg
The left side with a water tank and blacksmith shop to the rear, more detail added in the foreground.

800-March-2023-5.jpg
More details added around the screens. Modelu workman clearing up the spilled coal, his hat and coat hangs on the pillar to his right.

800-March-2023-6.jpg
The down cast shaft engine winding house now complete, ropes also added to the up cast head gear.

800-March-2023-7.jpg
A miner (Modelu) pops out of the pit top for some fresh air and possibly a Mars bar!

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:39 am

Hi Rob, :)

Your colliery is coming along in great fashion. I am back building again after a long period of covid difficulties and hope to get back to working on Scotts Road in the summer. I will post some photographs then once I feel I have made enough progress. I had always intended adding a colliery at one end, but now doubt I will have the time as I have other priorities in recovering my mainline layout after it was damaged by water two winters ago. My colliery would never be so comprehensive as yours or look so good. Scotts Road is in fact a distribution yard on a colliery system, the collieries being a short distance away. Busy building a couple of unusual locomotives at the moment. Both are well tanks built by Wheatley and running on his railway in the 1880's. I am hoping to have them both finished in about three weeks, providing my long covid allows.

Good to see you have been busy! :thumb
Hope all is well at home.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:07 am

All looking very good Rob.

Terry Bendall

bevis

Postby bevis » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 am

Looking good Rob, hope to see the layout in the flesh at some point.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:03 am

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Rob, :)

Your colliery is coming along in great fashion. I am back building again after a long period of covid difficulties and hope to get back to working on Scotts Road in the summer. I will post some photographs then once I feel I have made enough progress. I had always intended adding a colliery at one end, but now doubt I will have the time as I have other priorities in recovering my mainline layout after it was damaged by water two winters ago. My colliery would never be so comprehensive as yours or look so good. Scotts Road is in fact a distribution yard on a colliery system, the collieries being a short distance away. Busy building a couple of unusual locomotives at the moment. Both are well tanks built by Wheatley and running on his railway in the 1880's. I am hoping to have them both finished in about three weeks, providing my long covid allows.

Good to see you have been busy! :thumb
Hope all is well at home.

Hi Alan, I've been wondering how you are what with your long covid and pleased to hear that you are building again and that Scotts Road will get some progress. Shame that earlier planning and distance prevented a collaboration. Look forward to seeing your progress. All is very well here at home.
Rob

Terry Bendall wrote:All looking very good Rob.

Terry Bendall

Thanks Terry :thumb

bevis wrote:Looking good Rob, hope to see the layout in the flesh at some point.

Thanks Bevis, by all means call in if you are in the area.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:34 am

A motor just delivered to the workshops....

23-4-23-1.jpg

Work now progressing on the stores and a part of the the stock yard...

23-4-23-2.jpg

23-4-23-3.jpg

All items scratch built from styrene sheet, strip and turned items from aluminium bar.
I have a photo of a disused mobile emergency winder which I intended to model in its entirety but space was limited so just the winding drum was made and basically dumped in the corner of the stock yard. The cooling fins on the motors were tricky, I ended up making a jig and positioned the fins on a strip of styrene in the flat then wrapped and glue around aluminium bar.
The conveyor belt rollers involved drilling 2mm styrene rod then inserting .75 rod to form the shaft, so far some 70 odd rollers.
The pallets were made from thin strips of wood.
Rob

Suffolk Dave

Postby Suffolk Dave » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:27 am

Nice modelling, I love the attention to attention to detail here.

But let me show my ignorance by asking what might turn out to be a stupid question: would the motor have been too heavy for the forklift truck to move around?
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:11 am

Suffolk Dave wrote:... would the motor have been too heavy for the forklift truck to move around?

Ah - you have overlooked the fact that the back wheels of the truck are off the ground and the two lads are having a conversation along the lines "I told you so. Now go and get the big truck like I said ..." :D

Great modeling as always Rob! But it might need dirtying - I seem to remember every colliery I visited in the seventies was ankle-deep in black slurry when it rained, and black dust when it didn't!

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:31 pm

Hi Rob, :D

Interesting and a lot of work I am sure in the detail. I am also sure the men would figure a way, it reminded me of something I saw in Goose Island in Chicago when watching movements in a steel company's yard where gondolas were being shunted very roughly by the yard crane, which was on bogies and bucking like a bronco. There was no way to couple the vehicles. Similarly an interesting hour in a scrapyard near Thornton where ex-NCB locos and Wemyss engines were sent after their useful life. There had been heavy rain in the morning and the yard was like a quagmire and scrap was being manoeuvred using a large lorry driving on its back axle - no tyres! You can imagine the churning muck!

Scratch building a couple of very unusual well tanks at the moment.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:11 am

Suffolk Dave wrote:Nice modelling, I love the attention to attention to detail here.

But let me show my ignorance by asking what might turn out to be a stupid question: would the motor have been too heavy for the forklift truck to move around?

Thanks Dave, not a stupid question, I modelled the fork lift on a photo, the fork lift and motor were of similar proportions albeit that in the photo the armature had been removed. Fork lift trucks do have counter balance weights at the rear. Maybe I’ll model the motor without the armature.
JFS wrote:
Suffolk Dave wrote:... would the motor have been too heavy for the forklift truck to move around?

Ah - you have overlooked the fact that the back wheels of the truck are off the ground and the two lads are having a conversation along the lines "I told you so. Now go and get the big truck like I said ..." :D

Great modeling as always Rob! But it might need dirtying - I seem to remember every colliery I visited in the seventies was ankle-deep in black slurry when it rained, and black dust when it didn't!

Liked your reply to Suffolk Dave!
Thanks Howard. I’m working from loads of coloured photos in 3 volumes of the last days of mining in Yorkshire and South Wales. There are ‘clean’ areas but also the black slurry. To the right of the stock yard I intend to do some slurry but I’m running out of room! Might apply for planning permission for an extension or if time permits start another mining project.

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Rob, :D

Interesting and a lot of work I am sure in the detail. I am also sure the men would figure a way, it reminded me of something I saw in Goose Island in Chicago when watching movements in a steel company's yard where gondolas were being shunted very roughly by the yard crane, which was on bogies and bucking like a bronco. There was no way to couple the vehicles. Similarly an interesting hour in a scrapyard near Thornton where ex-NCB locos and Wemyss engines were sent after their useful life. There had been heavy rain in the morning and the yard was like a quagmire and scrap was being manoeuvred using a large lorry driving on its back axle - no tyres! You can imagine the churning muck!

Scratch building a couple of very unusual well tanks at the moment.

Hi Allan, hope the long Covid is getting better.
For me I enjoy doing the detail. Liked your stories about Chicago and Thornton

Rob

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”