Arlington Colliery

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
RobM

Re: Arlington Colliery

Postby RobM » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Old boiler now compressed air tank built from scratch with refinements, soon got into the lathe work with the pressure relief valve and various other fittings. Still some bits to do, fit some of the blanking plates from the old boiler and a bit of filling. Have in the meantime started on the buildings behind. The left hand area of the layout will now be altered, nothing committed to paper yet but I have a clear mind (?) as to what it will be, then again things can change.

air-tank.jpg

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:02 pm

very nice model Rob. May I ask about the wheel handles? I would need some for a brake van.

Carlos

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:19 am

Carlos, hand wheels are from 51L (Wizard Models)
Rob

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 am

Carlos wrote:May I ask about the wheel handles? I would need some for a brake van.

Similar products, in a range of sizes, and of good quality, are available from Stenson Models https://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/

Terry Bendall

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks Rob and Terry,

I will check both (black Friday offers?). I better do not comment about my attemps of scratchbuild one of that wheel handles...

Carlos

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Time for an update. Work continues with new buildings at the left hand side of the layout and the air tank is complete apart from one piece of piping, where it goes to be resolved. Currently working on a new pit head building.

Arlington-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:11 pm

Headstocks painted, new pit head building and the winding house started.

headstock-1.jpg

headstock-2.jpg

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:09 am

Hi Rob, :)

Like yourself I have been dealing with Covid and long Covid so I know what you've been going through, but I am so sorry to hear about Jen and my heart goes out to you. Can't be easy mate, but you are doing the right things!

However, your modelling is keeping up with past performances and some! I was thinking about adding one of the collieries to my Wemyss layout, but had put that down as a step too far, but seeing what you have managed to do so far in such a small space may well convince me to eventually build at least part of the colliery at the west end of the layout - like your previous layouts truly inspirational!

Like you I have only started posting after a two year break and catching up on what I have missed. Someday we might all manage to meet up again until then keep up the modelling we have all come to love and respect.

Allan :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi Allan,
Things are much easier. The modelling keeps me busy and I do get away in the motorhome for a change of scenery, Yorkshire coast the week before Christmas!
Virtually everything is changing on the model except the track. There will be all new buildings.
Go for part of a colliery at the west end of your layout, would make a nice 'stopper'.
Hopefully meet up for a chat in the near future.
Rob

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi Rob, :)
I would like that very much indeed - I found we had very much in common. I have started posting again, but found I was not able to work the last couple of weeks due to my long covid, and have come to a halt with a new thread that I had started on trees - which I will pick up again once I am better. We built a colliery many years ago now. My friend Jim Pugh who is no longer with us sadly, put a lot of work into its construction. It was based on one in the Falkirk area - I will see if I can get a few photos together and post them. I just love your overhead gear. Yes might just get around to building part of the Lochhead Colliery, but the layout is designed to go in a car - to save fuel and costs for exhibitions. I will also need a few better photos than the ones I have at present. :idea:

Allan :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:27 pm

New screens about finished and in place. Found a better source of corrugated iron/asbestos sheets, it is aluminium, 0.1 mm thick and very well formed. From Goodwood Scenics Ltd and better than its 0.5 styrene counterpart. I have cut mine with a sharp scalpel, a bit of de-burring needed but it does provide a much better overlap. For small areas I super glued it onto a backing, the screens roof needed more alignment and I used slow setting Araldite.

Screens.jpg

Rob

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:06 pm

Hi Rob,
Good to hear you are pulling through and the modelling is back up to speed! just had a look at the Goodwood Scenics website,
https://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk/

Great stuff, not heard of them before but will definitely be investigating their corrugated iron range! :thumb :thumb

Steve

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi Steve, yup, up to speed now and putting the last 2 years + behind me. Can't believe that I'm model making virtually 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, well it is winter, roll on Spring when I guess the garden will need a bit of my time.
I only came across this site by chance, definitely some good stuff on there, quite impressed with their pipelines. I've ordered a load of 'coal' to see the difference with real coal which I have an infinite supply living on the site of a colliery, slag heap still exists, stock yard still exists. However, the real stuff comes along with a load of dust!!
Hopefully we'll all be able to meet up soon! Take care.
Rob

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:36 pm

steve howe wrote:....... just had a look at the Goodwood Scenics website,

Great stuff, not heard of them before but will definitely be investigating their corrugated iron range.

Note that, despite their write up, the corrugated iron, nice as it looks, is 1/64 scale, perfect for S gauge!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:03 pm

steve howe wrote:just had a look at the Goodwood Scenics website,

Great stuff, not heard of them before but will definitely be investigating their corrugated iron range!

I used some of the Goodwood Scenics loads - the logs and the scrap metal which is actually wood shavings and they are certainly good. The layout is looking very fine Rob.

Terry Bendall

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:52 pm

Thanks Terry, I always panic when you post here, usually it is an invite to a show and the pressure is on, but this time as you have 'retired', no panic ;)
Got 1 Kg of 1-1.5mm coal from Goodwood Scenics today, looks really authentic so attention has now changed to redesigning the coal loading gismo.
bécasse wrote:Note that, despite their write up, the corrugated iron, nice as it looks, is 1/64 scale, perfect for S gauge!

Whatever....still looks better than the styrene counterparts ;)
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:48 pm

Just finished another 5 coal wagons, checked my Dinghams couplings, nil stock!! Went to order only to find that Dinghams have ceased trading. Now need to find a suitable coupling. Would prefer an automatic coupling/uncoupling system, any suggestions?? Alex Jackson's a no, no, tried them years ago but too much blood when bending up the wire!!
Now need to change all my rolling stock, hey ho :(
Rob

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:08 pm

Hang in Rob, nil desperandum. There is a replacement available possibly as soon as this month:
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt=4624032
And if you prefer the original the Gauge 0 guild has them on offer in both 4&7mm scale:
https://www.gaugeoguild.com/onlinesales/

Cheers,

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:09 pm

RobM wrote:Just finished another 5 coal wagons, checked my Dinghams couplings, nil stock!! Went to order only to find that Dinghams have ceased trading. Now need to find a suitable coupling. Would prefer an automatic coupling/uncoupling system, any suggestions?? Alex Jackson's a no, no, tried them years ago but too much blood when bending up the wire!!
Now need to change all my rolling stock, hey ho :(
Rob

See here, very recent topic. https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7584&p=88616&hilit=dingham#p88616
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:09 pm

Phew.....thanks for the info folks, now ordered from Gauge 0 Guild.
Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:58 am

Skipping between a few bits on the go at the moment, namely major ground works under the screens, a Judith Edge Hunslet kit and the upcast headgear.
The finished headgear has been scratch built from brass 'H', 'I', channel section, brass sheet, styrene and my own etches.

Upcast-headgear.jpg

Rob

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:28 am

Looks very nice Rob. I particularly like the handrails around the top and the staircase. Can you give some more details of how these were made or the sources of the materials.

Terry Bendall

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:09 pm

Thanks Terry,
The hand rails stantions are from Caldercraft (boat kits) (2 hole 15mm) and 0.7mm brass wire. The photo I was working from had a basic angle iron stantion, I had intended to make up a jig to drill angle as I did on the tops of the kilns on Mount Woodville but decided to take an easy way out. Other photos I have do show the ball type stantions within collieries. The stairs and rails were from my own etches and the drawings can be made available if anyone wants them.
Cheers Rob

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:38 am

Something to move the wagons about. A Judith Edge kit (1 of 2)

Hunslet-01.jpg

Rob

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:14 pm

Looks great Rob and I'm really impressed with the painting. Are those pristine underpinnings going to get some grime?
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”