Queensbridge Road Wharf

A forum for participants in the Standard Gauge Workbench.
User avatar
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Queensbridge Road Wharf

Postby Flymo748 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:51 pm

garethashenden wrote:
Noel wrote: Indeed; some idiosyncratic and interesting buildings, of significantly different vintages and styles. I presume that the small warehouses back onto the river?

The real small warehouses back onto Tower Bridge Road. They're not very interesting on that side, but the Horsleydown Lane side is more picturesque. On the layout there is an off scene road behind the backscene that these are on. I don't think they have any direct access to the goods yard.

I was going to a meeting in that vicinity this morning, so on the basis of your post I took a slight diversion...


Lovely day for taking pictures!

Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!

User avatar
Allan Goodwillie
Posts: 703
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Queensbridge Road Wharf

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am

Yes lovely buildings to model. The cranes all seem to be the simple type. We often had them on distilleries up here. I have a model of one on Dubbieside which was based on one which was at Cameron Bridge Distillery. - It was steam operated and had cylinders etc. attached to the outside wall. Unfortunately I never witnessed it in action.

Clearly the buildings are going to make a superb frame to the operation. It is good to add a few simpler buildings to the set up as it will give a change of tempo to the scene and keep it from looking over busy. You should have a lot of pleasure creating this scene, particularly if you enjoy making buildings. Looking forward to seeing this at a show sometime. Nice to see the North London being used as a starting point as well - a much neglected but interesting railway.

Allan :)

Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Re: Queensbridge Road Wharf

Postby garethashenden » Thu May 23, 2019 5:52 pm

As so often happens with my modelling, I was going along on a project and suddenly felt the overwhelming urge to do something different. I realised that Queensbridge was never going to be finished if I didn't actually work on it. So I went and had a look to see if I could find a suitable project. I decided to start on the fiddleyard end with one of the two buildings. In the back corner will be a pub. I have some ideas, but this is the only structure I don't yet have a prototype for. So the obvious solution was to start work on the other building at that end. This is a small brick warehouse based on a building in Limehouse. Last summer I started work on one of the other buildings using a plywood core with Slaters brick sheet attached to it. This may work for some people, but I didn't find it successful. Windows are always where I seem to have trouble. So for this new building I decided on an all-styrene approach. Previously I have had difficulties fitting etched windows to brick sheet. The problem is always the arch. I love the look of arched brick windows, but they're problematic to make. I've finally settled on a solution that will work, make the windows to fit out of styrene strip. It's not done, but so far it's working.

So to actually build the structure, I started with a rectangle of brick sheet cut to the correct size. When I photographed the building I used the measure app on my iPhone to estimate the height of the building. From that I made the width to fit the space and the proportions looked good. I marked out the approximate locations of the openings on the sheet, then set about making arches. I figured it would be easier to make the openings fit the arches than the other way around. I took a strip of brick sheet, two full bricks wide, and cut two thirds of the way through between each brick. This made the strip curve and allowed me to further curve it to fit the desired shape. I looked around for a small round object to use as a guide, so they would all be consistent, and settled on the cap for my bottle of flux. I cut the arches to 16 bricks long, curved them, and glued them to 0.010" sheet. Once cured I cut out the arches and trimmed the backing sheet. I left extra material above the arch for attachment, but the other three sides match the arch.
Using the arches to guide the width and a photo to guide the height, I cut out 11 windows and 1 doorway. I also cut out a section in the middle for the three freight doors. There were inevitably gaps around the arches, and these have been filled in with putty. I then used 0.030" strip to block around the window openings, and then attached a sheet of 0.040" styrene to the back of the wall. Once the windows had been opened out again, the wall was mostly done. The two side walls are of similar construction, brick sheet on plain styrene. The windows are the next step, and that will be a separate story.

Return to “Standard Gauge Workbench”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Penrhos1920 and 1 guest